Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindle Unlimited Launches in the UK

Amazon have launched the "Kindle Unlimited" programme in the UK. £7.99 a month for unlimited access to a large range of Kindle and audiobooks.

See the home page of http://amazon.co.uk for details.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for posting that, Harry. It's definitely worth considering for anyone who spends more than £8 per month on Kindle e-books or audio books. (But I wonder if the fact that you can't pay with a debit card will discourage some potential customers.)

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It's definitely worth considering for anyone who spends more than £8 per month on Kindle e-books or audio books.
Well only if there is stuff you want to read available through KU and if you don't mind just renting the books I spent a bit of time looking though what's available and I haven't really seen much that I'd want to read (admittedly I haven't gone through all 650,000 titles ) Seen a few books that I already own or have already read though. Audio books don't really appeal so meh for me really. I'll probably have good rummage through at some point though and just use the free trial, but I'm not really interested in the subscription service.

As an aside I think they're slightly overdoing it launching everything so close together. IIRC for the UK that's now Amazon TV, Fire phone, Fire tablets, e-ink Kindles and Kindle Unlimited in the space of a month or so. Possibly a bit much

Last edited by Yolina; 09-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That is a better price than I was expecting.

I don't think I'll be signing up soon. It requires a change in mind-set from buying and keeping books to just accessing books. I'm not sure if I can make that change just at the moment.

But, assuming the books include the ones I want to read, a switch to £96/year from my current £300/year is worth considering.

Are Baen's titles included, I wonder. And Tor's? What about magazines like F&SF, Analog SFF and Asimov's SF?

Hmm.... I'm spending £60/year just on subscriptions to those three magazines. And realistically, the number of times I'll re-read a magazine issue is insignificant.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Are Baen's titles included, I wonder. And Tor's? What about magazines like F&SF, Analog SFF and Asimov's SF?
To answer my own questions:

None of the publishers/books I wondered about seem to be included. This considerably reduces my interest.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That is a better price than I was expecting.

I don't think I'll be signing up soon. It requires a change in mind-set from buying and keeping books to just accessing books. I'm not sure if I can make that change just at the moment.

But, assuming the books include the ones I want to read, a switch to £96/year from my current £300/year is worth considering.

Hmm.... I'm spending £60/year just on subscriptions to those three magazines. And realistically, the number of times I'll re-read a magazine issue is insignificant.
Unless it is different than the US launch, NO big or even small publishers signed up. (There may be some very small ones I don't know about). I don't think Baen is signed up.

Amazon is making a pretty big push with indie writers who sell a certain amount (read: The most popular indie writers who are already selling extremely well in all markets) to go exclusive. They are offering a 25k bonus and some other bonuses for those who sign up and whose books are borrowed. They need some big names to keep people interested, but I don't think the large publishers are too keen on giving Amazon any more power.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Unless it is different than the US launch, NO big or even small publishers signed up.
There certainly appear to be numerous commercially-published books available. Eg "Life of Pi", "2001: A Space Odyssey", the "Harry Potter" books, all of Stuart M. Kaminsky's books. Lots of stuff that's not indie.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just noticed something... why is the video streaming subscription £5.99/month (and included in Prime for those who have it) but for ebooks it's £7.99/month?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Just noticed something... why is the video streaming subscription £5.99/month (and included in Prime for those who have it) but for ebooks it's £7.99/month?
Sorry, not sure what you're asking. Why would you expect them to be the same price?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, not sure what you're asking. Why would you expect them to be the same price?
I just find it a bit strange is all ... both are an unlimited rental service and I don't really see why ebooks should be more expensive to rent than films but then there's a few competitors for video streaming services, so I guess Amazon probably wouldn't have done too well if they'd priced that at £7.99

Last edited by Yolina; 09-24-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Unless it is different than the US launch, NO big or even small publishers signed up.
What about Open Road, W. W. Norton, Algonquin Books, Mariner Books, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt & Scholastic? None are BIG, but they aren't exactly no-name publishers and have been there from the start.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What about Open Road, W. W. Norton, Algonquin Books, Mariner Books, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt & Scholastic? None are BIG, but they aren't exactly no-name publishers and have been there from the start.
I knew someone would prove me wrong. Even as I typed it... Honestly I'm mostly going by the complaints I see from a couple of other forums--that most of the books in the program have either been free or very cheap in the past and that none of the big publishers are there.

I have only perused the list once because overall the idea does not appeal to me right now. I do see some enthusiasm for the program on the US side, but to be honest, a lot of that enthusiasm seems to be "oh, I'll find a bunch of books and do a free month." Of course, Amazon is hoping they will forget to cancel or otherwise find enough to continue the program.

There are at least two ladies in my cozy group who love the selection.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
It is too bad that KU US and KU UK are not linked together. For me subscribing in the US, I still cannot borrow Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1) to match my printed UK-version books.

On the bright side, the same shortcuts apply in the UK - for example www.amazon.co.uk/ku brings you right to the Kindle Unlimited page.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 09-25-2014 at 08:01 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It seems to represent good value for money to me. I shan't be subscribing, simply because I like buying and collecting books. I don't use libraries (other than for my academic research) for the same reason.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It seems like it might be a good deal if I hadn't already accumulated this enormous backlog of unread books. (And if their selection was better.)

I've only just started finding books worth borrowing on the Prime Kindle Lending Library, which seems to have largely evaporated. I won't be best pleased if, in October, I can't borrow volume 2 of the series I've just borrowed volume 1 of.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote