Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Exclamation Crash - desperately seeking suggestions

I've just had a major crash on the aura HD I bought in May 2013. The problem was caused by an epub I bought last November from the Kobo web site, admittedly a complex book epub-wise: Cortazar's Libro de Manuel is an experimental work - 2 columns per page, newspaper extracts with specific types and size, some text as images.
The usual transfer to kobos wasn't satisfactory so I tried a few things with converting epubs or different options in Joel Goguen's Kobo Touch Extended (disactivated / activated but different options etc.). On the last try I got a corrupt database task error.

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 532, in _sync_booklists
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 318, in sync_booklists
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 314, in __rows_needing_imageid
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

I wasn't too worried since I've often reinitialized my former Glo and current Aura HD and 6". BUT...

It started ok, I did a reset from the device parameters, tied it to the computer, opened Kobo Desktop, told it to stop loading books direct from the desktop and ejected it properly from the desktop.

But nothing doing now : I have a blank screen.
Red button alone = zilch; paperclip = 1" white light; paperclip + red button = white light and blank / grey / back to fixed blank screen. Occasionally the white light stays on - but I turn it off with my trusty paperclip to avoid the battery dying on me.

It is not recognised anymore by my PC.

As a test, I downloaded the book to my old Sony PRS-T2, which reads it more or less ok: one column only (the auras did too, but that's reasonable on a small device); some images seem to have disappeared; the newspaper cuttings are not pretty, I seem to have lost some images - but it doesn't destroy the device, even if I find it painful to go back to low definition - no light.

Anybody has an idea how to salvage the HD?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post

It is not recognised anymore by my PC.

As a test, I downloaded the book to my old Sony PRS-T2, which reads it more or less ok: one column only (the auras did too, but that's reasonable on a small device); some images seem to have disappeared; the newspaper cuttings are not pretty, I seem to have lost some images - but it doesn't destroy the device, even if I find it painful to go back to low definition - no light.

You are past the warranty period, so the worst case scenario is to open it, take out the SD card and either put an image on it, or replace the SD card for another one, and get an image for it (you may ask for an image in the developer's forum, where you also have instructions on how to copy the image) - I had to do this to revive my Mini, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Having said that, I hope someone else can offer a less invasive procedure to revive your Aura HD!

EDIT: I was pretty sure the thread was a sticky, but either I am ageing faster than I thought, or it no longer is. Anyhow, here it is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

The procedure is for the Glo, but you can use it on any device with an internal SD card. You will need an Aura HD image, but say the magic word "davidfor, please" three times, and I am sure you'll get a PM with a link to the image :-)

Last edited by paola; 09-15-2014 at 04:12 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
But nothing doing now : I have a blank screen.
Red button alone = zilch; paperclip = 1" white light; paperclip + red button = white light and blank / grey / back to fixed blank screen. Occasionally the white light stays on - but I turn it off with my trusty paperclip to avoid the battery dying on me.

Have you tried the full hardware factory reset procedure? Hold the power switch for 20 seconds to ensure your Aura HD is powered off, release the power button, press and hold the light button, use the power switch to turn it on, continue holding the light button until the LED starts to rapidly flash, at which time the screen should display a restoring message.

While it is restoring, connect your computer to Kobo's website, log in and move the trouble book to your trash (this does not delete it permanently, it just keeps it from syncing). Bring up the Kobo desktop and wait for your Aura HD to finish restoring.

Connect and do the setup as usual.

If this doesn't work, then try the magic chant. Check Ken Maltby's early posts on opening his Aura HD for advice -- it's a bit more involved than the Glo due to sticky tape being used.

Good luck!
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-15-2014 at 08:16 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you tried the full hardware factory reset procedure? Hold the power switch for 20 seconds to ensure your Aura HD is powered off, release the power button, press and hold the light button, use the power switch to turn it on, continue holding the light button until the LED starts to rapidly flash, at which time the screen should display a restoring message.

While it is restoring, connect your computer to Kobo's website, log in and move the trouble book to your trash (this does not delete it permanently, it just keeps it from syncing). Bring up the Kobo desktop and wait for your Aura HD to finish restoring.

Connect and do the setup as usual.

If this doesn't work, then try the magic chant. Check Ken Maltby's early posts on opening his Aura HD for advice -- it's a bit more involved than the Glo due to sticky tape being used.

Good luck! David
Dear David,

I tried your full hardware reset with no success. Ken Maltby's tutorial is impressive, but way above anything I can do - I've always been bad at this type of thing, but with my arthritic hands it's definitely no can do.
I've had a wonderful intensive 16 months with the HD - I'd say I read at least 5 hours a day - and I'd noticed more and more light points recently. That will give me a good reason to get the H2o (hoping we French don't have to wait too long after October 1st.) Requiescat the HD, and meanwhile I have the Aura 6".

Many thanks to you and Paola. I knew I had read something somewhere about it all but didn't know where to find it.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

what a pity

but, good excuse for a new one

EDIT: I would put it on the flea market, somebody may be willing to take the risk to take it apart and give it a go.
Advert
Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
what a pity

but, good excuse for a new one

EDIT: I would put it on the flea market, somebody may be willing to take the risk to take it apart and give it a go.
No, if it's like devices that I buy, it will start working perfectly the day after the replacement has been set up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, if it's like devices that I buy, it will start working perfectly the day after the replacement has been set up.
yes