Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Rhinoskin Aluminum Case for Tungsten E

I've had my Tungsten E for a while now, going on a year I think. I use it and abuse it quite a bit, and in all that time I have used only the flipcover that came with it (and a screen protector) for protection. As you might imagine, the relatively vulnerable case is scratched all to hell, which doesn't bother me. Amazingly the unit itself has suffered no damage. I finally realized that my luck couldn't last forever and decided it was time for a proper case. I know that the Rhinoskin cases are old hat by now and have been reviewed all over the place, but here's my contribution to that crowded field.

So what I was looking for was good useable protection, but I also wanted it to be small enough to still fit in my pocket. I don't like wearing my PDA on my belt, and often use it for mp3s from my pocket or just keep it my pocket while at home, to read when I have a few seconds. Rhinoskin and Innopocket make comparable cases for the T|E (and for most PDAs), that are pretty much indistinguishable to look at. I didn't have a preference and just picked the one I found the cheapest. Amazon has the Rhinoskin for just $20, so it won. (Though I just checked and it seems to be gone!)

The case looks great (I'll have pictures up in the next couple of days). It's made of anodized aluminum and it has a great tough finish, distinctly unlike the T|E itself. It feels good in the hand and it opens and closes easily. It attached to the T|E with the side slot that is normally used for the flip cover, and this holds it firmly in place, but allows for easy removal. It has slots for 2 SD cards, but annoyingly you can't see the fronts where you have presumably labeled them. It is cutaway in many locations to allow for access to the power button, stylus, speaker, headphones, SD card, and power and sync cables while the unit is closed or just resting in the case. Most of the inside is coated with a thin layer of what appears to be some kind of neoprene, for shock and scratch resistance. While it does add some size to the unit, it still fits comfortable in my pants pocket.

My only complaint about the case is that the cutout for the headphone jack is not large enough. Most headphones require a little wiggling to get them properly seated. I'm going to have to modify the ones I use most often by cutting away a little of the plastic.

Overall I find the case the perfect addition to my PDA and I feel much more confident carrying it around. This morning it slipped from my hand and clattered to the concrete, and though it put a couple of scratches on the case, my T|E suffered to ill effects. This is highly recommended!

I will try to get a few pics up in the next two days, so you can see the rest of it. This case may also work for the T|5, since the form factors are so similar.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In general, I like aluminium cases. They look better than leather, plus they give better protection I think. Another important addition to every newly bought PDA is a screen protector. I *hate* scratches on my screens; especially the very first scratch hurts.
Advert
Old 10-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I've had my Tungsten E for a while now, going on a year I think. I use it and abuse it quite a bit, and in all that time I have used only the flipcover that came with it (and a screen protector) for protection.
The same with my (now retired) Clié SJ22, except that I had no screen protector. Also, I used to put it in my pocket, but now that I decided to buy a better PDA (I think now I am geek enough), I wanted to protect it with a case.
Since the T3 itself is bigger than the SJ22, my choice was a case to wear on the belt (T3+case=big bulk in my pocket), and so far I'm very happy with it. Now my cell phone (smaller than any PDA) rests in one of my pockets.

@TadW: I still remember the first scratch on my first PDA! A Vx, by the way.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:06 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Francesco, usually caused by a dust particle, right? Didn't you feel like killing that particle after you literally *lfelt* it scratching over your screen? That is how I remember my first scratch.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Francesco, usually caused by a dust particle, right? Didn't you feel like killing that particle after you literally *lfelt* it scratching over your screen? That is how I remember my first scratch.
Right! It was while I was doing a downstroke in the graffiti area... LOL!
Advert