Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
SOLVED: How to "copy" or combine tags in two columns not as a built column?

UPDATE: Solved as of post #6

ORIGINAL POST:
I've made a custom tags column to split how I've been using the default tags column.

HOWEVER, I find that editing takes a LOT more than I thought it would with the separate column in the book details list view as well as via Edit Metadata in particular where you have to switch tabs to get to the custom column(field). I'm a very fast typer and mover on the keyboard and this is really slowing editing down overall (LOTS of books).

I also don't like that those tags are no longer searchable on readers (at least mine) since it's not the default tags field.
It also doesn't import elsewhere because it's custom data. I think I would like these tags to "go with the book" in a metadata embed so the info isn't lost if open elsewhere. "I think" means I'm a wishy washy on this decision, but having the ability to quickly combine these back into the original Tags column would give a lot of freedon.

I realize this could be a 2 step process, but knowing how to do it would be helpful.
This is NOT about building a column from other columns as I can't modify the default tags to operate that way. Default Tags would be the final location goal.

Any helpful knowledge on this?

Last edited by jecilop; 09-04-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: UPDATE
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
HOWEVER, I find that editing takes a LOT more than I thought it would with the separate column in the book details list view as well as via Edit Metadata in particular where you have to switch tabs to get to the custom column(field).
Try Preferences->Behaviour->Edit Metadata (single) layout Compact or All in One

And Preferences->Tweaks Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata may be of some use.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I also don't like that those tags are no longer searchable on readers (at least mine) since it's not the default tags field.
If you use Android then Calibre Companion is fully capable of searching and sorting on custom fields.
Quote:
It also doesn't import elsewhere because it's custom data. I think I would like these tags to "go with the book" in a metadata embed so the info isn't lost if open elsewhere. "I think" means I'm a wishy washy on this decision, but having the ability to quickly combine these back into the original Tags column would give a lot of freedon.
All custom metadata is embedded into the book (if the format can take it) when exported from calibre. It can also be embedded other ways, such as modify epub, conversions, and polish.
Quote:
This is NOT about building a column from other columns as I can't modify the default tags to operate that way. Default Tags would be the final location goal.
Bulk metadata edit search and replace can combine fields together.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

@chaley,

???
Custom metadata may be embedded, but if you don't have the same custom columns in your database, then how do you retrieve it not knowing what to set up again?
Also, it's more about being able to use any reader or app and utilize that info in some manner which I realize is a choice and/or a function of the scope of the app and not an issue with Calibre. Still, I do wonder on the first part about retrieval in Calibre without having the custom column set up the same in a different Calibre library.
For example, I foolishly think I can save all books to epub using Save to Disk inclusive of embedded data. I lose or delete ALL calibre data since I have my files saved via Save to Disk to another place. A get a new PC and decide I want the powerful library function back and add all books to a new, non-customized install of Calibre where no previous libraries and databases exist. To my knowledge, the only thing I can retrieve from the epubs are the default metadata columnal info such at title and author and default tags, etc - especially because custom columns have been forgotten and thus not easily recreated from my memory... IS THIS WRONG?

Problem:
I looked over Search/Replace as mentioned. A previous post answer helped me understand it better. However, I cannot get it to work. I've attached a picture with a test example using 2 books and multiple tags. The goal is to get
  • Book 1: Test A from {#tagsmgmt} to combine into {tags} that already has tags1, tags2; this would yield {tags} tags1, tags2, Test A
  • Book2: Test B from {#tagsmgmt} to combine into {tags} that already has tags3, tags4; this would yield {tags} tags3, tags4, Test B

I see no change in the "test" fields and no change after hitting OK. I've tried with and without the Split checked off. I don't know what else to do. I THINK .* is what's used to pull everything, but I could be wrong.

@Better Red,
Thank you for the reminder on the Edit Metadata views. I've tried them all, but there's always something missing from the 1st active tab that I prefer to be as in the default which doesn't have the custom stuff first. That's not a complaint. I get it and love that there are even the 3 options as is. I am going to try again to make another work for me, but I hate losing the "long" view of comments for editing too..that's the kicker among other things.
NOW, the TWEAKING looks interesting. I may very well play around with that! I've done a lot of tweaking and perhaps never fully realized the potential of that one and completely forgot it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_combine tags.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	127840  
Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@Better Red, Thank you for the reminder on the Edit Metadata views. I've tried them all, but there's always something missing from the 1st active tab that I prefer to be as in the default which doesn't have the custom stuff first.
I never found a combo I was happy with, so now I edit almost exclusively on the book list, I forego using Comments in favour of a custom long-text column because I can edit that from the book list. If the Tag Editor was available as an option from the book list, then I would have even less use for single metadata edit.

All the metadata is written to epubs - polish an epub, open it in the viewer, click the blue circled 'i', the custom columns are after the dc and calibre columns and before the comments. And if you look at the epub with the editor they're in the content.opf file, albeit they're hard to decipher.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-04-2014 at 07:06 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
@chaley,

???
Custom metadata may be embedded, but if you don't have the same custom columns in your database, then how do you retrieve it not knowing what to set up again?
If you don't know what custom columns you had then you are indeed in difficulty. That said, if you keep a copy of metadata_db_prefs_backup.json then you can see the definitions. You can also create an empty library as a backup, copying structure. This empty library can be used to recreate a library into which you import the books.
Quote:
Also, it's more about being able to use any reader or app and utilize that info in some manner which I realize is a choice and/or a function of the scope of the app and not an issue with Calibre.
Your choice, to be sure. I never use the embedded metadata in a book so it is not something I think or care about.
Quote:
For example, I foolishly think I can save all books to epub using Save to Disk inclusive of embedded data. I lose or delete ALL calibre data since I have my files saved via Save to Disk to another place. A get a new PC and decide I want the powerful library function back and add all books to a new, non-customized install of Calibre where no previous libraries and databases exist.
To my knowledge, the only thing I can retrieve from the epubs are the default metadata columnal info such at title and author and default tags, etc - especially because custom columns have been forgotten and thus not easily recreated from my memory... IS THIS WRONG?
Yes, it is wrong. Save the books in a single directory per book (done using the template) and include the metadata.opf file along with it. You can them import them into a calibre library using "add, one book per directory". All the metadata will be imported as long as the library has the correct definitions.

Of course, it is easier and faster to create a backup of the library by simply copying the library somewhere else. Doing so both preserves the library itself (as long as you keep the metadata.db file) and creates a directory structure that is easily imported.
Quote:
Problem:
I looked over Search/Replace as mentioned. A previous post answer helped me understand it better. However, I cannot get it to work. I've attached a picture with a test example using 2 books and multiple tags. The goal is to get
  • Book 1: Test A from {#tagsmgmt} to combine into {tags} that already has tags1, tags2; this would yield {tags} tags1, tags2, Test A
  • Book2: Test B from {#tagsmgmt} to combine into {tags} that already has tags3, tags4; this would yield {tags} tags3, tags4, Test B
You need to use (.*) in the search expression and \1 in the replace expression. See the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	456
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	127841  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I've made a custom tags column to split how I've been using the default tags column.

HOWEVER, I find that editing takes a LOT more than I thought it would with the separate column in the book details list view as well as via Edit Metadata in particular where you have to switch tabs to get to the custom column(field). I'm a very fast typer and mover on the keyboard and this is really slowing editing down overall (LOTS of books).

I realize this could be a 2 step process, but knowing how to do it would be helpful.

Any helpful knowledge on this?
I think you can do something in bulk edit modes Search and Replace;

look at using Append mode (at the right of destination)
search on field, replace another field
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
jecilop
Addict

Thank you!

Tested and working well.

Tags
copying columns