Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
pdf page cut (with test file)

Hi,

Pdf display fine if the whole has the same orientation.

But, if the first page is portrait, and the next is landscape, then the landscape pages are trimmed (cut).

Hope this helps

Regards

François
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_010.png
Views:	368
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	127683   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_011.png
Views:	348
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	127684  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kobo_Test_Pdf_first_page_portrait_next_landscape.pdf (115.7 KB, 234 views)
File Type: pdf Kobo_Test_Pdf_Landscape.pdf (107.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: pdf Kobo_Test_Pdf_Portrait.pdf (106.3 KB, 221 views)
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I remember seeing that a while ago with the local train time table. The pages were sized for a small page and worked very well on both the Glo and Touch. But, there was one page that had a different orientation and it didn't work. But, I thought it had been fixed as I don't remember seeing that recently.

What firmware version are you seeing this with?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #3
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Hi David,

FW 3.8 without any modifications.

Regards

François
Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ooops, I missed this thread and I have started another thread for it... Sorry!

As expected I can confirm it. I really think that the problem is that pdf viewer gets locked in the very first page size... You get cropped pages in either Landscape>Portrait or Portrait>Landscape.

AuraHD with 3.8.0. in my case.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yes, if you add a bigger page at the beginning of the pdf, it doesn't crop anymore. I've seen this bug for a long time, though

Python hack to add an empty page with size of biggest page in pdf.
PyPDF2 needed: https://github.com/mstamy2/PyPDF2
Code:
import PyPDF2
import sys

ifile = sys.argv[1]

pdfinput  = PyPDF2.PdfFileReader(open(ifile, "rb"))
pdfoutput = PyPDF2.PdfFileWriter()

print pdfinput.getDocumentInfo()
n = pdfinput.getNumPages()
maxw = 0
maxh = 0
page0 = pdfinput.getPage(0)

for i in range(n):
    page = pdfinput.getPage(i)
    w = page.cropBox.getWidth()
    h = page.cropBox.getHeight()
    if w > maxw: maxw = w
    if h > maxh: maxh = h

print maxw, maxh
firstpage = page0.createBlankPage(None,float(maxw),float(maxh))

print "writing ..."
pdfoutput.addPage(firstpage)
for i in range(n):
    page = pdfinput.getPage(i)
    pdfoutput.addPage(page)

# finally, write "output" to document-output.pdf
outputStream = file("document-output.pdf", "wb")
pdfoutput.write(outputStream)

Last edited by ksiflhjla8; 09-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
fxp33
Addict

Hi,

Thank you ksiflhjla8 for this hack, it is a very good idea

François
Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Just as an FYI, koreader does not have this problem. I've completely switched to koreader for reading PDFs. It's a much more pleasant experience.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
fxp33
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
Just as an FYI, koreader does not have this problem.
Hi JimMcLaren,

I guess I will have to go ... from what I have read, I will have to restart my reader each time I want to swap from koreader to kobo... this is what kept me from installing it... unless this is not required?

François
Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi JimMcLaren,

I guess I will have to go ... from what I have read, I will have to restart my reader each time I want to swap from koreader to kobo... this is what kept me from installing it... unless this is not required?

François
There may be some problems with your Glo, but the AuraHD should work with tshring's "Kobo Start Menu" and be able to switch between them. Kobo's Nickel UI takes longer to load, than going the other way, no matter how you do it. (Koreader has reflow, user and auto cropping, zoom to content, and other PDF optimizations.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-16-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi JimMcLaren,

Theoretically not required but I find it works best that way for me. I'm using advboot with koreader set to restart when I exit. To get back to koreader also requires a restart. A bit of a pain but I seem to see fewer problems since koreader is run without requiring much of the Kobo software preloaded -- no need to stop and unload nickel when it is not being loaded.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote