Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
Terms of Use prohibiting reselling of ebooks are legal German Court rules

A german consumer rights group lost a court case against a digital content (ebooks/downloadable audiobooks) retailer contending Terms of Use (Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen) prohibiting the reselling of bought items.

German news site:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...n-2304262.html

I'm really not happy with all this "Terms of Use" castration of consumer rights. With all digital content you seem not to buy a product but only a service. Even for digital gadgets you almost give more rights away than you get to use the "damned thing" as you like.
Copying the content is illegal anyway. Circumvention of DRM is prohibited by state's law in most countries. If you sell a copy of your ebook and keep the original OR sell the original and keep a copy OR sell many copies and keep the original OR ... (I think you got what I'm getting at ) you break the law (no Terms of Use needed). So why can't the law-abiding cititzen sell an ebook he bought if he wants to do this? And where is the monetary reimbursement for giving up consumer rights?
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Monetary reimbursment for giving up consumer rights? Why? You always have the right to not purchase an ebook. More than likely you probably did not even purchase an ebook, but a licence to read it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And I suppose you can't just give your ebooks away in your will either. I know you can't share a given ebook that you have bought for yourself with another person. In fact the retailers often say as much, but does that also count in the case of your will if you want to leave your ebook collection to a surviving relative/friend? You would think it wouldn't as you certainly won't be around to keep a copy but I wager someone will argue that even that is illegal though of course they'd have trouble bringing you to court for obvious reasons.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Monetary reimbursment for giving up consumer rights? Why? You always have the right to not purchase an ebook. More than likely you probably did not even purchase an ebook, but a licence to read it.
My reading license I aquired at age of seven iirc, renewed it with finishing high school and with some academic degrees. Perhaps approaching senior citizen age I should consider to turn in my reading license alongside the driving and the "think for yourself" licenses me no longer getting the "modern world".

I see your point. My own fault to buy an ebook (license) with the Terms of Use clearly pointed out. I haven't an issue with this one. The argument one can't own an ebook like an pbook because it being an immaterial good has a good deal of face value too. But if publishers can sell licences, retailers/bookstores can sell licences why has the bucket to stop with the end user (us readers that is)? Sorry to have mentioned monetary reimbursement - I'm not in it for the money.

But I'm appalled seeing a high level court judging Term of Use prohibiting the reselling of ebooks legal. In Germany the legal situation isn't clearcut at all - could have gone either way I think. Afaik selling of used Steam licences is legal, so is selling of games on CD/DVD but not of downloaded games. Music CD or Video DVD/BlueRay no problem - downloaded music/video no go. Used software licences on the other hand can be sold.

That's all - but it gives me the wish for a "licence to kill" - virtually only of course.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy314 View Post
My reading license I aquired at age of seven iirc, renewed it with finishing high school and with some academic degrees. Perhaps approaching senior citizen age I should consider to turn in my reading license alongside the driving and the "think for yourself" licenses me no longer getting the "modern world".

I see your point. My own fault to buy an ebook (license) with the Terms of Use clearly pointed out. I haven't an issue with this one. The argument one can't own an ebook like an pbook because it being an immaterial good has a good deal of face value too. But if publishers can sell licences, retailers/bookstores can sell licences why has the bucket to stop with the end user (us readers that is)? Sorry to have mentioned monetary reimbursement - I'm not in it for the money.

But I'm appalled seeing a high level court judging Term of Use prohibiting the reselling of ebooks legal. In Germany the legal situation isn't clearcut at all - could have gone either way I think. Afaik selling of used Steam licences is legal, so is selling of games on CD/DVD but not of downloaded games. Music CD or Video DVD/BlueRay no problem - downloaded music/video no go. Used software licences on the other hand can be sold.

That's all - but it gives me the wish for a "licence to kill" - virtually only of course.
Tell em Bond sent you.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's a clear legal precedent:

You can't resell downloaded MP3 files.
You can't resell downloaded apps bought from the iTunes or Android App stores.
You can't resell downloaded digital content in general, it seems to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Yep.

If it's sold to you on a CD you can sell the CD but not a copy.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:

That's changing actually. A recent EU ruling was that game download services can't prevent customers from transferring licenses.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
mandy314
Connoisseur

Yes, things can change - but in what way? Let's see some products of my poor imagination ...

- geo-locked ebooks (an extended holiday licence is available)
- personalized ebook licences (a family&friends package is available)
- ebooks only as streams (various flatrates are available)

All things in the cloud, online all the time - so why not: live geo-localization, live bio-metric identification. And the always on back-channel so that the ebook provider can check for criminal activities. Criminal? Yes as we won't discuss Terms Of Use anymore. All the juicy bits will have found their way into criminal law. Jailbreaking gets you into jail - that's a funny one, isn't it. But the prize (so everything) will be alright (tune in JJ Cale).

Yes, you can't own digital content.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, things can change - but in what way? Let's see some products of my poor imagination ...

- geo-locked ebooks (an extended holiday licence is available)
- personalized ebook licences (a family&friends package is available)
- ebooks only as streams (various flatrates are available)

All things in the cloud, online all the time - so why not: live geo-localization, live bio-metric identification. And the always on back-channel so that the ebook provider can check for criminal activities. Criminal? Yes as we won't discuss Terms Of Use anymore. All the juicy bits will have found their way into criminal law. Jailbreaking gets you into jail - that's a funny one, isn't it. But the prize (so everything) will be alright (tune in JJ Cale).

Yes, you can't own digital content.
Mandy,

You knew what the terms of the licence agreement were when you bought the book. As a consumer, the option is open to you to vote with your money and not buy the product if you don't like it. It's no use willingly and voluntarily agreeing to a contract, and then complaining about it afterwards. Nobody is forcing you to buy ebooks if you don't like the licence terms.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
You knew what the terms of the licence agreement were when you bought the book. As a consumer, the option is open to you to vote with your money and not buy the product if you don't like it. It's no use willingly and voluntarily agreeing to a contract, and then complaining about it afterwards. Nobody is forcing you to buy ebooks if you don't like the licence terms.
But isn't the question if such things should be allowed to be in the license agreement?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
It's no use willingly and voluntarily agreeing to a contract, and then complaining about it afterwards. Nobody is forcing you to buy ebooks if you don't like the licence terms.
I had a hard time getting used to the idea at first - the not owning and licence deal with ebooks. It is not all bad - having the bookstore worry about storing and keeping a backup copy is great. If I chose not to (and I don't) then I can skip the time consuming task of making regular backups of my data. If I were to lose every single gadget, computer, phone, and backup disk all of a sudden, I still would not lose my ebooks. All I would need is some device again. Try that with a paper library after e.g. a house fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But isn't the question if such things should be allowed to be in the license agreement?
Cause and effect. It is the other way around - you want something changed in the terms, and to do so you question if it was legal to begin with. Assumption is that pbooks and ebooks should be treated equally. And no, that does not work that easy. You are allowed to resell a pbook (the paper, ink and everything) - and yet the new owner cannot do as he sees fit with the words contained in it. Ebooks only consist of the words (the copyrighted stuff) - and limitations are similar to the words contained in a pbook. Only way I can see it get changed is by declaring parts of the copyright laws illegal.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 08-30-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Typo
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Mandy,

Technically you can go to court anyway thus in the UK the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfair_...Terms_Act_1977
provides an example.

Fat chance, but the principle is there.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
If I chose not to (and I don't) then I can skip the time consuming task of making regular backups of my data.
That works until your company goes out of business like Books on Board. As far as dying, licenses are not transferable even by a will. What I had to do is use the password my friend provided me before his death and change the name on the Amazon account to my own. Then Amazon 'consolidated' the account by transferring e-content over to my account. This was in 2011. Who knows what they would allow now. Fortunately, for my sisters, not only have I downloaded books, stripped DRM and loaded into Calibre, but they also know where I store my passwords should they need them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Mandy,

Do you usually read ToS and EULAs? Most people don't. Often they are also hard to find.

It is an interesting question if a ToS is enforceable, when it hasn't been read. I also note that you are not necessarily even forced to read or click through them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote