Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Aboyaman
Enthusiast
Aboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Kindle paperwhite1 Serial number invalid

I bought used kindle Paperwhite 1, the serial number is : "b024000000000000"
What can I do to make it display the real SN
Ps: the seller said he sells them with deleted serials because they are used .
Thanks in advance.
Aboyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboyaman View Post
Thanks in advance.
What you can do is return it to the seller. What the seller is doing is selling you a blacklisted Kindle and modifying the serial number to no show the proper serial number because the unit is blacklisted. You've been taken advantage of. Return it and get your money back.

If you bought it on eBay and used PayPal, contact the PayPal. Also contact eBay as what the seller is doing is illegal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboyaman View Post
Thanks in advance.

You're dealing with a crook. Demand your money back and high-tail it out of there as quick as you can.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Aboyaman
Enthusiast
Aboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enough

Thanks I will try to get my money back,
Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I am quite naive I never realised people did this. I have no words.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Slightly off topic question here, what are serial numbers used for on paper whites?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Slightly off topic question here, what are serial numbers used for on paper whites?
Probably to be able to register the Kindle with Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Everything on the Amazon web site for a Kindle is governed by the serial number.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Probably to be able to register the Kindle with Amazon.
The workflow has changed and it is only possible to register for a Kindle using the device itself (need an amazon username and password). The serial number itself is irrelevant.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
The serial number itself is irrelevant.
The device has to transmit it's s/n to the website in order to be registered (which makes it pretty relevant) or are you saying they use something else now? It's not just un & pw as Amazon needs a way to know the specific device for DRM (which is device specific), emailing docs, etc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #11
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The device has to transmit it's s/n to the website in order to be registered (which makes it pretty relevant) or are you saying they use something else now? It's not just un & pw as Amazon needs a way to know the specific device for DRM (which is device specific), emailing docs, etc.
What I meant was that it's irrelevent to the consumer. (We never need to use the serial number ourselves, or enter the number anywhere.) Of course to Amazon, it's a critical identification number.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
What I meant was that it's irrelevent to the consumer. (We never need to use the serial number ourselves, or enter the number anywhere.)
Well, that rather depends on whether you're acquainted with Apprentice Alf or not.

I hope Aboyaman manages to get his money back.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, that rather depends on whether you're acquainted with Apprentice Alf or not.
My thoughts exactly
Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Aboyaman
Enthusiast

I will buy a new one , because this was bought from china and I live very far in Algeria, what I can do now is just reading sideloaded books and thats all .