Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Recommendations for Kindle Unlimited books

Now that Kindle Unlimited is out and provides us a way to read lots of books for free well kind of on our favorite ereaders everywhere -- the E-Ink ones -- I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can all recommend our favorite ones.

So here it is. Anyone have some new indie book they spotted through KU that they want to share? How about your favorite author who may just have had his/her backlist get offered?

Extra points for popular (backlist?) stuff that lots of people have heard about! *

NOTE: You are allowed to list any books you liked, even if you didn't get them through KU. Just so long as they are a KU title, obviously.
And you can read them on your tablet too -- but only if you really want.
Also, direct links to the book(s)/author(s) in question would not go amiss.

* No cheating and saying Harry Potter, LoTR, The Hunger Games, or anything else that is actually in an ad on the front page.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-08-2014 at 02:02 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I found out about this thru today's daily deals - no need to buy since it is in KU!

Greg Bear - Moving Mars
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Biohazard by Tim Curran. Highly recommended for fans of games like Resident Evil or Fallout 3. It's full to the brim with mutants and putrescence. Several of his books are available through KU and I've enjoyed everything I've read by him.

The Star Force series by BV Larson. Action/space opera sci-fi in which a computer scientist uses nanomachines like Legos to build weapons/equipment to fight an alien machine race bent on wiping out humanity.

Last edited by xg4bx; 08-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
The limitation of "appeared in an ad" is a little big. There is those author highlights. Recommend one of those books, and you can't because it is in an ad? Hugh Howey for instance. I liked his Wool omnibus. I know I seen the book before KU, just could never convince myself to risk it. Have not gotten to the next part in the trilogy yet - a evil library book caught my attention and went right to the top of my reading list.

UPDATE:
Here is my recommendation for a trilogy by Hugh Howey:
  1. Wool (Omnibus)
  2. Shift (Omnibus)
  3. Dust

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 08-23-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: updated with links
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The limitation of "appeared in an ad" is a little big. There is those author highlights. Recommend one of those books, and you can't because it is in an ad? Hugh Howey for instance. I liked his Wool omnibus. I know I seen the book before KU, just could never convince myself to risk it. Have not gotten to the next part in the trilogy yet - a evil library book caught my attention and went right to the top of my reading list.
Howey is good.

I was just making a joke, you are free to post whatever you want.

(Plus, he isn't a big gigantic advertisement on the front page of KU, which is what I was thinking of. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
As I mentioned elsewhere, Escape from Sobibor is excellent, a true story.

Also most of the Ian Fleming James Bond 007 books are available. Compare them to the movies of the same name. Moonraker was a great book and a poor movie.

The teen age series, Bloody Jackie, by L.A. Meyer is available except for the newest, and last, book in the series. I thought these were a lot of fun.

A couple biographies on Marilyn Monroe and a few of the JFK conspiracy books.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I recommend Swan Song by Richard McCammon. I am about 40% done and it is excellent. (Although I got my copy from the library, and then bought the audio book for under $4. So the KU, with Whisper Sync for voice, is a better deal!)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I can heartily recommend the Muirwood trilogy by Jeff Wheeler.

1. The Wretched of Muirwood, http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008EYUJDW/
2. The Blight of Muirwood, http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008EYULE4/
3. The Scourge of Muirwood, http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008EYUP6I/
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I can heartily recommend the Muirwood trilogy by Jeff Wheeler.

1. The Wretched of Muirwood, http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008EYUJDW/
2. The Blight of Muirwood, http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008EYULE4/
3. The Scourge of Muirwood, http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008EYUP6I/
Interesting, I thought I had purchased these a couple years ago but when I go to the links above they don't show as purchased.

Then I checked my purchase history and I did purchase them in 2012, but the original book links no longer work from the "Manage your content" page. Weird. It looks like he is now signed with 47North (Amazon imprint I believe?) and they have republished them.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Nonfiction: The Big Roads: The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighway by Earl Swift.

A fascinating look into the development of the US interstate highway system. Starts with a brief history of the VERY early days of the automotive industry and describes some of the early "roads" people traveled. It would definitely take a hardy soul to venture onto the early roads! The bulk of the book talks about the US interstate system, including many of the key players. Also describes some of the controversies caused by the intended routes originally planned for several interstates.

Definitely an enjoyable book, and one that clearly shows the value of an unlimited subscription plan, as I doubt I would have ever purchased this book, yet very much enjoyed reading it.

Nonfiction: Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of a Mysterious Continent by Gabrielle Walker. Have you ever wondered what it's like to experience the bitter cold and desolation of Antarctica? What kind of person would go there during their long winter, and perhaps go year after year? This is an enjoyable read about various scientists in Antarctica. Keep your coat on!

Fiction: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. The narrated version is available for this book at no cost, and it is excellent.

Enjoy!
SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 08-10-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added title
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Wyvern by A.A. Attanasio, (and indeed most of his books with the exception of the Radix series) is part of KU. I guess the rights to his novels (again, except Radix) reverted back to him, so he has put out his back catalog in e-book form.

Wyvern is, hands down, my favorite historical fantasy novel. Attanasio is one of those guys that seems to have faded into obscurity after being pretty popular amongst hardcore sci-fi fans in the 80's

Adrian Cole's Voidal series (3 books) is one KU too (as are his other books which are published by Open Road Media). Voidal is an old school swords and sorcery series of short stories and novellas.

The Collected Works of Clark Ashton Smith (6 volumes) are part of KU. If you have any interest at all in fantasy/horror/pulp/weird fiction, you owe it to yourself to check these out.

A bunch of John Myers Myers's books are on KU too, including Silverlock (his most famous book), and Dead Warrior (his best book).

Last edited by mgbino; 08-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Interesting, I thought I had purchased these a couple years ago but when I go to the links above they don't show as purchased.

Then I checked my purchase history and I did purchase them in 2012, but the original book links no longer work from the "Manage your content" page. Weird. It looks like he is now signed with 47North (Amazon imprint I believe?) and they have republished them.
This is happening more and more, sometimes with books having a new edition from the same publisher too. I wish they'd keep the other version(s) listed as well (obviously it wouldn't have a buy button anymore) like they do for various paper book editions, but I suppose they might feel it's confusing for many buyers. Although sometimes they do list multiple editions.

I'll recommend Red Baron by Peter Kilduff

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-09-2014 at 06:54 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This is happening more and more, sometimes with books having a new edition from the same publisher too. I wish they'd keep the other version(s) listed as well (obviously it wouldn't have a buy button anymore) like they do for various paper book editions, but I suppose they might feel it's confusing for many buyers. Although sometimes they do list multiple editions.

Especially annoying if you try to borrow one from the Kindle that you already own, it will fail and say something "you have reached the limit for the licence." At least it checks something so you don't KU borrow a book you previously bought and return it and lose it. It should at least say that you already bought it and if you want to d/l it from the cloud instead. Oh well, growing pains. KU is still an infant, not even a toddler.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
Wyvern by A.A. Attanasio, (and indeed most of his books with the exception of the Radix series) is part of KU. I guess the rights to his novels (again, except Radix) reverted back to him, so he has put out his back catalog in e-book form.

Wyvern is, hands down, my favorite historical fantasy novel. Attanasio is one of those guys that seems to have faded into obscurity after being pretty popular amongst hardcore sci-fi fans in the 80's
One of my favourite authors (I have nearly everything he's written in paperback and ebook). <b>Wyvern</b> is one of my Top-10 books of all time. So great recommendation!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post

Adrian Cole's Voidal series (3 books) is one KU too (as are his other books which are published by Open Road Media). Voidal is an old school swords and sorcery series of short stories and novellas.

The Collected Works of Clark Ashton Smith (6 volumes) are part of KU. If you have any interest at all in fantasy/horror/pulp/weird fiction, you owe it to yourself to check these out.

A bunch of John Myers Myers's books are on KU too, including Silverlock (his most famous book), and Dead Warrior (his best book).

I think we share the same tastes.....I have all of these., and they are among my favorites in fantasy.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote