Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
J. Callahan
J. Callahan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
How do I edit the config file for the Kindle 4 USBnetwork hack?

I have one of the newer Kindle 4's (with the black shell) with firmware 4.1.1 and I need to re-enable SSH. To that end I downloaded the "kindle-usbnetwork-0.54.N-k4.rar" hack from this thread,

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

The "README_FIRST" file that comes with it tells me that after I've installed the .bin file I should open the config file, located on the kindle at usbnet/etc/config and set "USE_VOLUMD" to true. The readme and other places I've read from say that I have to edit the config in a Linux environment, not Windows. All I have is a Windows 7 PC. Is there anything I can do to successfully edit the config from my PC, or maybe edit it with the Kindle itself?
J. Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Just plug it into your computer, and browse to usbnet/net/config.

You will need to use Notepad++ or another text editor that supports unix line endings.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
J. Callahan
J. Callahan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Just plug it into your computer, and browse to usbnet/net/config.

You will need to use Notepad++ or another text editor that supports unix line endings.
So it's just a problem with special characters? Well now I feel silly, thanks.
J. Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@J. Callahan: The installer takes care of that specific config switch automatically on the K4. (I'll fix the doc, though).

The KUAL extension bundled with the hack also handles everything that's in the config file, expect the IPs.

And while using a decent text editor is indeed recommended to edit the config manually, the hack will also aways convert it to unix line-endings before reading it, so it's not critical, unless you mangle it beyond recognition .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-17-2014 at 11:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote