Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're flying to or from the UK, make sure your reader is charged!

As from today, new security rules have been put in place at UK airports which will involve random checks on electronic devices in hand luggage. If your device won't turn on when you're asked to do so, it doesn't go on the flight. So make sure your reader, phone, or laptop is charged!

More details on the BBC News web site at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28223150
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I hope they allow you to plug in the device into a socket if you find it empty...

I've found devices completely empty due to various battery draining causes while I expected the device to be filled...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I hope they allow you to plug in the device into a socket if you find it empty...

I've found devices completely empty due to various battery draining causes while I expected the device to be filled...
What they're saying is that you can either be re-booked onto a later flight while your device charges, or they'll take the device off you and make arrangements for you to be reunited with it later.

Quote:
British Airways said that customers flying to the United States faced being made to rebook if they were found in possession of an uncharged device.

Alternatively, the airline also said that customers would be able to leave the device behind at an airport if it was unable to charge. They would then be asked to either collect it on their return, or have it forwarded to another address.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-09-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm guessing that it would have to hold a charge, and not just run when plugged in. They want to be sure there's really a battery in there, and not something else taking its place.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'm guessing that it would have to hold a charge, and not just run when plugged in. They want to be sure there's really a battery in there, and not something else taking its place.
Yes, that does appear to be the concern.
Advert
Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx

It's the same new regulation that is valid for flights from Germany to the USA.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
American officials ordered some overseas airports with direct flights to the US to intensify screening of electronic devices last week.
But of course. US foreign policy once again the instigator.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Those same policies were in effect a few years back.
The world did not end.

(I used to power up the tablet before getting into the security line so it didn't take any longer to go through.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
So, I can rebook the flight, charge my device and come back? What's wrong with waiting a few minutes (which should be enough to charge a dead device long enough to show that it will hold a charge without external power...)? Granted, I don't like flying (due to the way too many regulations these days, I love flying in itself) so it's been a while since I've been on an airport, but the last time I was in one, there were no wall sockets available to me...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Granted, I don't like flying (due to the way too many regulations these days, I love flying in itself) so it's been a while since I've been on an airport, but the last time I was in one, there were no wall sockets available to me...
I gave up air travel after 9/11 because of the security measures. I now limit my vacations to car travel within Washington and Oregon.

Airports should be forced to install sufficient wall sockets that are conveniently located so travelers could charge their devices before boarding.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-09-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
From what I read, they are pointing people to charging stations and stores that sell chargers for devices if the person says that don't have one. It also appears that there are stations to mail devices home if they don't turn on and cannot be charged. They are also telling people that they can place sad devices in your checked luggage. So check your device before you check your baggage (if you are checking baggage)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
They are also telling people that they can place sad devices in your checked luggage.
Attn bad guys: be sure and set the timer on your device before placing it in your checked baggage
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
They are also telling people that they can place sad devices in your checked luggage.
And what about the happy devices?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
And what about the happy devices?
Only happy ones allowed in the cabin
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Happy ones are powered ones. Unpowered ones are sad because they cannot work.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote