Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Pezzy
Pezzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Fire HD/ "Hidden Folders"?

Hi all.

I have the Kindle Fire HD 8.9".

You know how you can connect your Kindle device to your desktop computer via a USB cable? You can do that to "slow" charge it, or, to side-load files onto it.

And just to let you know, my desktop's OS is Windows 8.1

Anyway.....when the Fire HD is connected to a desktop via a USB, you know how you can open "My Computer" and then see your Kindle device there, and then open it up and browse the folders from there? We'll.....since the Kindle Fire is a tablet based on the Android OS, you can't see all folders/ files, like they're hidden.

You're probably also aware how you can "root" your Kindle (though Amazon doesn't approve of this!!!), and also use an App known as ES File Explorer. As far as I understand, wouldn't this allow you to "see" hidden folders/ files?

Here's the reason I bring this up:

I had downloaded an HD movie from Amazon to my Kindle Fire HD, and when I say download, I mean the file is physically downloaded to my device, it's not "in the cloud".

My device used to have about 12GB's of free space, and now after downloading the HD movie file, it now has about 4GB free space. So I know the file is on there.

However, after connecting my device to my desktop computer via USB, I cannot find that movie file.

When browsing the Fire's folders within the Windows environment, there are two folders in particular, one called "Movies", the other "Videos": neither of these contain that movie I downloaded. I know I could - if I wanted - transfer a file from my desktop (an MP4 file) and drop it in Movies or Video and then proceed to watch it on my device.

Does anyone know if a person were to "root" their Kindle Fire HD and possibly use that ES File Explorer App, would they be able to find/ view that hidden folder to find where HD movies are downloaded to from Amazon?

I want to be able to make a back-up copy of this HD movie file on my desktop computer. I realize that since I purchased it from Amazon that I can always re-download it again if I wanted to, but, it is a fairly large file and takes quite a while.

Anyone have any detailed info on this?

Thanks for any help!
Pez
Pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
*nix-style hiding is done by prepending a period to the beginning of the file/dirname, hence the term ".dotfile".

Windows doesn't honor this hiding technique and IIRC uses an attribute ("H" historically) instead. This means you should be able to see .dotfiles easily in Windoze.

Even in Android/*nix it's not serious hiding; it's mainly a convenience to keep config files and dirs hidden.

I would imagine even the default file manager on your Fire would see .dotfiles. You may have to toggle a "show hidden" option or similar.

My guess is that the file isn't where you think it is, or the missing space is taken up with something else rather than the file in question. The Movies and Videos dirs may just be stubs left over from the android heritage. I don't think DRMed media live there.

Last edited by fratermus; 06-02-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: s/image/imagine/
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
I actually found a movie I had downloaded in one of the folders in the Android folder. Like you, I knew it was on there and I kept opening things with ES file explorer till I found it. I don't remember which folder it was but it was in Android.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
Pezzy

Hi fratermus & iPatty; thanks for your replies!

fratermus:
OK.....I was not aware of the term "*nix style hiding". After reading this here from your post, I went browsing through my Kindle Fire using ES File Explorer, and I think I saw what you meant, that is, files whose names began with a period at the front of the name, e.g., ".file".

And yes, by using a feature in ES File Explorer, I was able to turn on "Show Hidden Files".

And you're right: Like I stated in my original post, this HD film file is not in the obvious place, like in the "Movie" folder, or the "Videos" folder. I can actually see those folders when the device is connected to my computer via a USB cable; they're not hidden folders.

But I sure wish that those files that are hidden (but become visible when I choose the option "Show Hidden Files") were also visible in my Windows 8 environment when I have the device connected via USB. I find it much easier to navigate through folders on my desktop computer's screen using my mouse than I do flicking through them on the Kindle's screen.

So you're probably right, that the file isn't where I think it is (the obvious Movie & Video folders). But what did you mean by, "...or the missing space is taken up with something else rather than the file in question..."?

And yes, DRM media is probably going to be secreted away someplace not so obvious. But since this is a hi-def movie file, I'm pretty sure it's going to be in an .mp4 format. Do you think the file is NOT actually named by the name given to the movie itself? But that it does begin with a period at the beginning of the name? And will it have the .mp4 suffix?

And iPatty: I checked the Android folder, but did not find this movie file in there.

When using the ES File Explorer, it was suggested by someone I know to click on the "/" at the top tool bar to search for this movie file. When I launch ES File Explorer, the Android folder is visible right away; that almost seems too easy for that movie file to be in there

But when clicking on "/" in the top tool bar, this seems to bring up folders/ files that were previously hidden or system files/ folders.

Dang! I wish I could find this movie file! I purchased it, not rented it. I should be able to have the option/ capability of making an archival back-up copy of it. If I purchase a Blu-ray disc, the store does not hold onto it for me when I'm not using/ watching it.

Arrrrgggghhhh.
Pez
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
[QUOTE=Pezzy;2843992]Hi fratermus & iPatty; thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzy View Post
OK.....I was not aware of the term "*nix style hiding".
It means unix-ish OSes: unix, linux, BSD, etc.

Quote:
After reading this here from your post, I went browsing through my Kindle Fire using ES File Explorer, and I think I saw what you meant, that is, files whose names began with a period at the front of the name, e.g., ".file".
Right.

Quote:
obvious Movie & Video folders). But what did you mean by, "...or the missing space is taken up with something else rather than the file in question..."?
That we think the file is currently on the device because the available storage space has been reduced. It could be a red herring. At this point we don't know because we haven't found the file.

Quote:
be in an .mp4 format. Do you think the file is NOT actually named by the name given to the movie itself? But that it does begin with a period at the beginning of the name? And will it have the .mp4 suffix?
I have seen DRM downloads that had long (hexadecimal?) filenames that had no correllation to the content. I am thinking of Google Books being read on the Android platform here.

Quote:
But when clicking on "/" in the top tool bar, this seems to bring up folders/ files that were previously hidden or system files/ folders.
Right. "/" means root (in *nix OSes); it's the the base of the filesystem. It would be something like C:\ in the windows world.

Quote:
Dang! I wish I could find this movie file! I purchased it, not rented it. I should be able to have the option/ capability of making an archival back-up copy of it. If I purchase a Blu-ray disc, the store does not hold onto it for me when I'm not using/ watching it.
Preach, brother! :-)

DRM schemes thwart the reasonable desires of paying customers in a failed attempt to defeat piracy. I haven't read Amazon's video purchase policy but my guess is we buy a license rather than the product itself. Or rather that the product is the license rather than the movie.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hi fratermus & iPatty; thanks for your replies!

fratermus:
OK.....I was not aware of the term "*nix style hiding". After reading this here from your post, I went browsing through my Kindle Fire using ES File Explorer, and I think I saw what you meant, that is, files whose names began with a period at the front of the name, e.g., ".file".

And yes, by using a feature in ES File Explorer, I was able to turn on "Show Hidden Files".

And you're right: Like I stated in my original post, this HD film file is not in the obvious place, like in the "Movie" folder, or the "Videos" folder. I can actually see those folders when the device is connected to my computer via a USB cable; they're not hidden folders.

But I sure wish that those files that are hidden (but become visible when I choose the option "Show Hidden Files") were also visible in my Windows 8 environment when I have the device connected via USB. I find it much easier to navigate through folders on my desktop computer's screen using my mouse than I do flicking through them on the Kindle's screen.

So you're probably right, that the file isn't where I think it is (the obvious Movie & Video folders). But what did you mean by, "...or the missing space is taken up with something else rather than the file in question..."?

And yes, DRM media is probably going to be secreted away someplace not so obvious. But since this is a hi-def movie file, I'm pretty sure it's going to be in an .mp4 format. Do you think the file is NOT actually named by the name given to the movie itself? But that it does begin with a period at the beginning of the name? And will it have the .mp4 suffix?

And iPatty: I checked the Android folder, but did not find this movie file in there.

When using the ES File Explorer, it was suggested by someone I know to click on the "/" at the top tool bar to search for this movie file. When I launch ES File Explorer, the Android folder is visible right away; that almost seems too easy for that movie file to be in there

Arrrrgggghhhh. :angry
Pez
Sorry. I find lots of things frustrating as well. :-(
Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Pezzy

fratermus:
Just to let you know as an update......I still can't seem to find this hi-def movie file after more searching

Anyway.....something you said in your last response to me caught my eye: I had been asking you what you meant by, "...or the missing space is taken up with something else rather than the file in question...", and you replied with: "That we think the file is currently on the device because the available storage space has been reduced. It could be a red herring. At this point we don't know because we haven't found the file."

Yes, I am familiar with the term "red herring". But, I am as sure as I can be that this approx. 8GB of used space is in-fact due to this hi-def movie file. Recently, I had had some trouble with my Kindle, so one of the steps to rectifying the problem was for me to de-register and then re-register the device.

When de-registering the device, it wiped off some files....which evidently included this movie file; my available space was back up to 12GB. After re-downloading the movie file to my device, the available space dropped to 4GB. So, like I said, those 8GB most likely belong to the movie file.

And: I don't keep my wireless on at all times. If I were to watch this movie on the Kindle, it is not being "streamed" wirelessly from Amazon's "cloud". The movie file is being accessed directly from the device, not on the "cloud".

I realize that by not having my device's wireless connection on, that I won't receive the updates that Amazon/ Kindle pushes out. But since right now I have my device rooted and have SuperUser capabilities, an update pushed out by Amazon/ Kindle would negate all I have done. So, I'm leaving wireless off for now (and also on "Airplane Mode").

When I had been searching on the device for this hi-def movie file and I would come across one of those hidden "*nix" files with the period at the beginning (and not the actual name of the movie, but rather some randomly put-together name of letters & numbers), I would try to open it by pressing/ selecting the file with my fingertip. I would then be presented with a pop-up menu choice of what type of file it might be: Image, Video, etc. I would choose "Video", but then I would get another pop-up message that the file couldn't be opened. So, I don't think it was the video file in question.

If this hi-def movie file is indeed on my device (and this 8GB of used space is not a red herring), then I wish there was a way that I could browse the Kindle and select a file to see how large the file is (how many kilo/ mega/ giga bytes it is). You know how with a mouse you can right-click, choose "Properties", and then view how large the file is? Is there a way this can be done on the Kindle now that I have root access?

Where the heck is this movie file?!?!
Pez
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
connie2000
Connoisseur
connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.connie2000 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire HD 6", PW2, sony 950, Fire Phone, kindle fire HDX 9, Huawei Mate
I have ES File Explorer on my rooted devices, and I can select a file (either by using the Select icon or by long pressing) then select More, then select Properties. Properties will have file size. Also, my files show the size under the name, but I don't remember if I had to do anything to get it.
connie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try hunting down where those 8 GB are being stored using something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.diskusage

It doesn't matter what the file is named, if you can find one that is 8GB, then it is probably the movie.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
Pezzy

eschwartz: thanks for your reply and suggestion of that App (Diskusage).

From the web link you gave, I couldn't download the App, though, from the Google Play Store to my Kindle Fire HD; I don't think they're "compatible"
So, I went to the App Store on my Kindle and downloaded it from there for .99 cents. Whooo....that'll set me back for a while!!

Anyway, I launched the Diskusage App, and I think I'm making some headway.

When launching it and choosing the "Storage card" View, I see this:
Storage card: 13058MiB
Apps: 8968MiB
Amazon Video: 8042MiB
data: 8006MiB

I'm just about definitely sure that that "data" of 8006MiB is that HD movie I downloaded.

The other poster here - connie2000 - mentions ES File Explorer; I already have that App.

Now the issue remains: How to I get to that "data" file of 8006MiB, which I'm sure is that HD movie file.

In the settings for ES File Explorer, I have "Root Explorer" On; I also have "Show hidden files" On.

Even without using ES File Explorer, if I just have my Kindle Fire HD connected to my desktop computer via a USB cable, I can see some folders, two of which are labeled "Movies" and "Videos"; but this HD movie file is not showing up in there. And in my settings for my computer, I have "Show hidden files/ folders" On.

I think on some other site I saw/ read how if you can find the "hidden" file you're looking for on the Kindle while using ES File Explorer, then you can click & hold on it and drag it to a folder that you WILL be able to see on your computer when connected via a USB cable.

So what do you think from what I described using that Diskusage App? I think I can see it and kind of "where" it's located. Now how do I get to it so I can access it when connected to my computer via USB cable?

Appreciate any more help!
Pez
Old 06-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
iPatty
Zealot

Have you tried the downloads file? It would make some sense but I have to admit what I expect to find there is always somewhere else. Have you asked Amazon Kindle support for help? I hear they're cranky these days (due to many 8.9 inch HDX not being able to maintain an internet connection), but they MAYBE could figure this out.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Pezzy

iPatty: thanks for the reply.

Yup, have tried downloads; not there.

Amazon Kindle Support? Heh-heh At first I thought you were joking. I've been purchasing various items through Amazon for years (I remember way back when when they were known for books...the paper kind!!). Then Amazon branched out to selling all various kinds of items. And then they started their own line of an electronics' item: The Kindle e-reader. And then the Kindle Touch (which I personally used to have) all the way up to the Kindle Fire HDX. And as you probably know, the Fire's are more like tablets than just an e-reader.

And no, I did not know about that issue with the HDX. I myself have the Fire HD (8.9 inch), not the HDX.

As far as "technical" support from Amazon Kindle reps? Heh-heh. I work in information/ technology myself. I've contacted Amazon Kindle tech support through e-mail, online "chat", and phone calls; they're about as useful as a screen door in a submarine.

From articles I read, Amazon gets high points for customer support for "general" things; customer returns and things of that nature. But tech support? HA!! That's another matter entirely.

Maybe when they get contacted by your "average user" they can help; a question where it can be answered by something like, "....swipe down from the top and then tap on 'this'", etc. But a real tech question? No; there is no support. They've admitted to me as much. If they can't answer a real tech issue presented to them, they'll "claim" they're going to elevate or escalate your issue to the "next level", but they really don't. There should be a tiered system with any kind of tech support; Amazon kindle tech support doesn't really have this.

Sometimes their solution to a problem is to have the customer return the item and they'll send you a new one. To that "average user", this probably sounds great! "Hey....I get a brand new item/ device!" To someone like me who wants the tech issue figured out systematically and logically.....it sucks.

But with this HD movie file? Noooooooo.....Amazon Kindle tech support won't tell me where it is. This is a highly guarded item! Really, though, in a way I'm kind of serious. I could use Amazon's "Unbox Player" to watch this video, but it won't be the HD version of this movie that I've downloaded to my Kindle device.

I think when you download an HD movie file to your Kindle device, you're not really paying for the item itself, just the "license". So, you don't get to keep it or be able to make an archival copy for yourself on your computer's hard drive (which is what I've been trying to do).

You may have a noticed a reply in this thread by fratermus where he tells me to "Preach, brother!", because this issue most likely has to do with DRM, and how it actually makes it more difficult for legitimate, legal, paying customers.

Amazon doesn't want me to find this HD movie file on my Fire HD device. That's why when I downloaded it, it did not go to an obvious folder like "Downloads" or "Movies" or "Videos"; it's most likely somewhere obscure in some hidden folder.

I've rooted my Kindle device (which Amazon does not want me doing and would not approve!). I have SuperUser access (which Amazon does not want me doing and would not approve!). I should be able to find this file now after seeing it there with Diskusage & then browsing for it with ES File Explorer.....but I can't find it!! Arrrrgggghhhhh!!
Pez
Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any digital download unless I knew beforehand that it was downloadable to the desktop (at which point I can strip the DRM if necessary).

Not really sure where to go from here. Pity Amazon doesn't allow HD downloads to Unbox. I had thought of that, but quickly found out they didn't.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Simple! Go to Apps Download the app that looks like a Movie Clapper. Then IF the Movie IS compatable that will play it for you! Otherwise that the Fire Back to Factory to clean it off.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Simple! Go to Apps Download the app that looks like a Movie Clapper. Then IF the Movie IS compatable that will play it for you! Otherwise that the Fire Back to Factory to clean it off.
That is completely missing the point, which is to back up the movie. I believe the OP can already watch it on the device.