Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Smashwords titles head for Libraries

Quote:
Overdrive’s library partners will soon be have the option of buying from Smashwords’s catalog of about 200,000 titles from 88,000 publishers and authors, and lending the ebooks to their patrons. The ebooks will be loaned on a one copy/one user model, with no limit on the number of loans or an expiration date,
More at the source:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ou/#more-67921

Doesn't say the price to the library but the terms seem friendly enough.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Neat. So someone will presumably be able to borrow a book through the library and see if they want to buy a copy from Smashwords for themselves.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I never buy books I've read from the library. Once read, there's no point in reading it again.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Neat. So someone will presumably be able to borrow a book through the library and see if they want to buy a copy from Smashwords for themselves.
And the library provides the purchase link.

Of interest is that, unless the library goes out of their way to flag the books as indie, there should be no way for patrons to tell the titles apart.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I never buy books I've read from the library. Once read, there's no point in reading it again.
And if someone wants to re-read, they can borrow it again from the library.

My libraries don't have the buy-it-now option anyway.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
And if someone wants to re-read, they can borrow it again from the library.

My libraries don't have the buy-it-now option anyway.
I think that most people are predominantly either library borrowers or purchasers.

These days I almost always borrow, although I have bought thousands of paper books. At one time I had about 600 shelved an 15 boxes.

I am less inclined to renew/reborrow ebooks as it is so easy to borrow them I don't overstock. I borrow 2 or 3 max and read and return. Used to be I would go to the library and get 20+ books at a time, so I sometimes did not finish them all.

In Canada AFAIK both publisher and author get a certain amount when an ebook is borrowed. That will be the big benefit to SmashWords and their authors perhaps.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I rarely re-read a book -- unless I really like it. So far, I borrow only paper books from the library. I discovered Chris Grabenstein's Ceepak series that way, and bought the first three as ebooks because they were very reasonably priced. When/if the later volumes experience significant price drops I may buy them.

I think obscure authors will have more to gain (from potential library sales) than they will lose (from lost sales to readers who probably don't know who they are anyway).

From what I've seen, Smashwords authors have the option to opt out of this, like any other outlet.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
More at the source:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ou/#more-67921

Doesn't say the price to the library but the terms seem friendly enough.
It's also on the Smashwords blog:
http://blog.smashwords.com/2014/05/s...-to-bring.html

The price is set by the author, but it defaults to the retail price. However, Overdrive has a minimum price of $1.99 because of DRM costs, so if the author sets a price of less than $1.99, the library will be charged $1.99.

Quote:
Of interest is that, unless the library goes out of their way to flag the books as indie, there should be no way for patrons to tell the titles apart.
Smashwords require that all books mention Smashwords on the copyright page, with text like "Smashwords Edition" or "Published at Smashwords". So it's always possible to tell if a book has been distributed by Smashwords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
From what I've seen, Smashwords authors have the option to opt out of this, like any other outlet.
Yes, they do. Overdrive is now listed in the Channel Manager, same as everywhere else that Smashwords distribute to.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I find new authors through the library. I don't want to risk a lot of money on authors or books I might not like. But when I find a new favorite I tend to buy ALL of that author's work including already read books. And it's great that the big publishers are losing their monopoly on library access for their books. Maybe with some competion for library space they might realize how valuable having their books in libraries for people to discover really is. What I'd really like is if libraries simply said to the big 5 their ebook terms are too expensive. We aren't buying your authors books anymore.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
What I'd really like is if libraries simply said to the big 5 their ebook terms are too expensive. We aren't buying your authors books anymore.
I'd love to see that too. Unfortunately, the average library patron isn't interested in issues like this. If they can't get the top sellers, no matter how much they cost, then they're liable to vote down bond issues and vote for tax cuts. Too bad.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-21-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typo: is --> isn't
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Smashwords require that all books mention Smashwords on the copyright page, with text like "Smashwords Edition" or "Published at Smashwords". So it's always possible to tell if a book has been distributed by Smashwords.
...after you check out the ebook. Which is fine.

I was thinking in terms of pre-checkout: listing them separately, ghettoizing the indies. If indies are to give libraries leverage against the...unfriendly...terms of the BPH titles, they need to be comingled in the catalog. Let them know they have competition for the library dollar and the patron's attention.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
little and large
Enthusiast
little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
I think the author does fairly well from Overdrive on the whole the way that I understand it. They get a sale registered for each acquisition (though that may cover a whole state as one sale grants access to all of the participating libraries in the group).There will be multiple copies bought if they're popular enough. That helps out financially and will help to spread the word. Authors will have the opportunity of selling work directly to libraries, too - there's always an option of suggesting a purchase or of someone to contact. From there it will be a case of a book being good enough.

The change also involved Scribd and Oyster, I think, so it surely makes the Smashwords package much more appealing all of a sudden. Or maybe not. I'll be watching here to see what people think.
little and large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
...after you check out the ebook. Which is fine.

I was thinking in terms of pre-checkout: listing them separately, ghettoizing the indies. If indies are to give libraries leverage against the...unfriendly...terms of the BPH titles, they need to be comingled in the catalog. Let them know they have competition for the library dollar and the patron's attention.
My mistake.

I doubt the libraries will split indie books off, since it seems to make little sense to pay for ebooks that they hide away. I don't know how many libraries will buy indie books in the first place, but time will tell.

Overall I think it's a good thing for libraries, indie authors, and readers.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I don't know how many libraries will buy indie books in the first place, but time will tell.
That is the big question.
Most libraries seem totally wedded to the review catalogs and more than a few librarian blogs are possitively hostile to indies.
But sooner or later they have to realize indies comprise 25-35 percent of *new* book sales.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
That is the big question.
Most libraries seem totally wedded to the review catalogs and more than a few librarian blogs are possitively hostile to indies.
But sooner or later they have to realize indies comprise 25-35 percent of *new* book sales.
Penguin titles have also recently become available. So there's much competition for limited library funds.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote