Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Kobo Aura HD restored itself suddenly

This has never happened before since I've been a Kobo owner (~4 years) but yesterday the weirdest thing happened, so weird that I feel compelled to documented it - even though after searching up on it, I see this exact same issue used to haunt Vox owners.

I updated to the 3.3.0 (8eb9c1f8b2) software version (allowed the device to update normally through a sync, not a forced or "hacked" update). Used it without any apparent problems for days, 2 or 3 days, and then last night I went to the browser and typed in a web-address hit 'go' and right away, without any freezing or weird glitchiness, it just popped over to the "restoring" screen. Lost everything! I mean I know the browser is a beta feature but, come on, a full restore without any warning? Why not just a device restart? Should I (we) be worried? Was it just a one-in-a-million fluke?

Last edited by omnimodis78; 05-04-2014 at 03:31 PM.
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Sounds like you got hit with the Kindle Revenge Virus. That's where you open a web page and are forced into a full restore.

Actually just kidding, but not sure why you would have that happen unless there was corruption. Even then its hard to say how that would happen.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Ha! Well, corruption or not, I still don't feel comfortable with the situation. I mean a full restore before the system even attempts to restart? I'm not exaggerating, I pressed "go" on the onscreen keyboard, and the next screen was the restoring screen. Yes I get fatal error stuff, but wouldn't the programmers at least try to force a full restart to attempt to reload the OS before some code initiates a full restore and wipe all user data. It's funny in a way, but not really once you think about it. If it happens to anyone, please report it, because with the Vox, it seems to have been software related, and I hope the Aura HD isn't going down that same road.

Last edited by omnimodis78; 05-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimodis78 View Post
I'm not exaggerating, I pressed "go" on the onscreen keyboard, and the next screen was the restoring screen.
I am just curious. Did you navigate to this page with another device and look what is happening?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
omnimodis78
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I am just curious. Did you navigate to this page with another device and look what is happening?
It was a Chinese website where they have classic Chinese writings, my boyfriend was reading a book on that site on his Sony e-reader, but it wasn't spacing right so I wanted to see if the Aura HD could render it better - well, I guess I got the answer. The site works fine on my Nexus 5, works fine (less the minor rendering issues) on his 3 year old Sony e-reader, and it works fine with Firefox 30 Beta 1. The site is also not shady or anything like that.

Don't shoot me for repeating myself, but why not a mere restart if something went bananas? What device automatically reverts to a full restore without even inasmuch an attempt to restart first, or at a minimum a hint that it's about to arbitrarily wipe everything.

Last edited by omnimodis78; 05-05-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Advert
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
This has never happened before since I've been a Kobo owner (~4 years) but yesterday the weirdest thing happened, so weird that I feel compelled to documented it - even though after searching up on it, I see this exact same issue used to haunt Vox owners.

I updated to the 3.3.0 (8eb9c1f8b2) software version (allowed the device to update normally through a sync, not a forced or "hacked" update). Used it without any apparent problems for days, 2 or 3 days, and then last night I went to the browser and typed in a web-address hit 'go' and right away, without any freezing or weird glitchiness, it just popped over to the "restoring" screen. Lost everything! I mean I know the browser is a beta feature but, come on, a full restore without any warning? Why not just a device restart? Should I (we) be worried? Was it just a one-in-a-million fluke?
I had this happen once. I had recently loaded a couple hundred ebooks on an SD card directly from my computer. They came from ADE and Calibre. Plus I had another hundred or so I downloaded from Kobo.

Later I learned that the Kobo FW loads books to the Main memory first, then when (and if) it fills up Main memory it starts using the SD card. One of my basic rules for working with digital technology is to do things the way the device thinks they should be done, not the way I think they ought to work ("Never argue with a computer" is fundamental).

I don't know if following my little rule fixed it but the problem hasn't occurred again since then.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Once, when upgrading my Touch, it locked up completely and required several attempts to start a full reset/restore, so I can commiserate with the sense of how disturbing it can be until everything gets working again. I hope it doesn't happen again, but try thinking about it this way... Obviously something got a bit messed up, or you ran into a heretofore undiscovered bug, but the device did what it's supposed to if things get badly fouled up and did a restore. It would have been a lot bigger issue if it failed to restore and start working again. As long as it restored and you can upgrade again think of it as a glitch. Apparently, it got messed up enough that it could not restart and/or files got trashed and it had to restore.

I don't mean this as a defense, but as long as things are properly restored it's an inconvenience not a catastrophic loss. While I'd rather have a device that never messes up, one that fixes itself when it does isn't too bad a compromise. OTOH, it can be a pain setting everything up again. Good luck.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
omnimodis78
Enthusiast

@TechniSol - You are absolutely right, and I agree - better to have a weird restore than a bricked device, granted. If this was a fluke, OK, so be it - but if it wasn't, if there was some order to the madness, then I have to say it's a rather drastic first step from a programming perspective to resort to a full and immediate system wipe and restore. In my days of programming, a call would have been made for the OS to restart. This usually resolves any memory corruption, system hang or critical but not fatal errors. I saw something rather disturbing and boy I wish I could make you guys see it: just imagine it though, typing in something on the keyboard, pressing "go" and a restore starts. I mean it just didn't seem like there was even any time for things to go wrong, it just wiped data and restored. Anyways, yes, at least it's restored and all - now I just have to hope it's not a bad device, or that there's an issue with the firmware.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'd be looking around to see if the sky was falling if my Aura Hd did nothing weird for a day or two.

Yesterday, midway through a book it started:
Multiple page turns
Putting bookmarks every time I turned a page.
Going back to a certain page every page turn or so.
Partial screen refresh with multiple flashing.

I cleaned the screen to no avail.

Reset reader and back to sort of normal again so unlikely a problem with the book itself.

I envy those who say they have zero problems.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm guessing your reader tried to restart, detected damaged files and went to recovery. Or at least I hope that's what happened... In fairness, that could happen in far less than a second.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm guessing your reader tried to restart, detected damaged files and went to recovery. Or at least I hope that's what happened... In fairness, that could happen in far less than a second.
I think TechniSol is correct. However the only way to know for sure is to consult with Kobo tech Support and see what they say. Short of that perhaps returning the unit and getting a new one? Just incase its the hardware not the software.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I'd be looking around to see if the sky was falling if my Aura Hd did nothing weird for a day or two.

Yesterday, midway through a book it started:
Multiple page turns
Putting bookmarks every time I turned a page.
Going back to a certain page every page turn or so.
Partial screen refresh with multiple flashing.

I cleaned the screen to no avail.

Reset reader and back to sort of normal again so unlikely a problem with the book itself.
That sounds like a problem that was reported with 3.2.0. It was fixed with 3.3.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
It was a Chinese website where they have classic Chinese writings, my boyfriend was reading a book on that site on his Sony e-reader, but it wasn't spacing right so I wanted to see if the Aura HD could render it better - well, I guess I got the answer. The site works fine on my Nexus 5, works fine (less the minor rendering issues) on his 3 year old Sony e-reader, and it works fine with Firefox 30 Beta 1. The site is also not shady or anything like that.

Don't shoot me for repeating myself, but why not a mere restart if something went bananas? What device automatically reverts to a full restore without even inasmuch an attempt to restart first, or at a minimum a hint that it's about to arbitrarily wipe everything.
May be it doesn't cope with Chinese very well? I'd never tried reading Chinese webpages on Kobo, I have enough problems reading Chinese epubs that I have now removed most Chinese books from the Kobos. I seldom put Chinese articles into my Pocket account either.

I'd been trying to read Chinese on my various Kobo but those files tend to make them crazy and made them reboot themselves too. Changing the font to a readable one after I'd open a book would tend to make them freeze. I usually have to open an English book and change to a Chinese font, then close it and open a Chinese book, then the Chinese book would open to a Chinese readable font. I tried to use Chinese fonts all the time but the English doesn't look right so I kept on switching between fonts.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That sounds like a problem that was reported with 3.2.0. It was fixed with 3.3.0.
Pretty sure I have 3.0.

Can't say I like the sounds of 3.3

No big deal as it is just my emergency reader these days.

I'm inclined to think it is memory leaks or unassigned pointers causing these glitches but who can say for sure.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote