Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-04-2004, 02:55 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Tungsten T5 disappointment: OS 5.4 and no WiFi

Major disappointment: it's running OS 5.4. (And no WiFi either.)

Tungsten T5 specs
Old 10-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It seems palmOne spends all its resources and time on expanding its Treo line. Don't take me wrong, the T5 doesn't look like a bad PDA (and it is rather inexpensive for $399 ESP), but I expected more after waiting for all this time.
Advert
Old 10-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Looking closer at the specs: no voice recorder, no cradle... what were they thinking??? The T5 is supposed to be PalmOne's cream-of-the-crop PDA, right? Well, as far as I can see the only high-end aspect is the 320x480 screen. Sorry, I can't hide my disappointment.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:19 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Killer! ;(

I share everyone's disappointment, and it tells me only one thing: SELL your palmOne shares NOW!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I'm stunned too, though it's just as I feared. This should be the T|E2. For the same cash you can buy the TH55, which has wifi built in and a voice recorder. They just don't get it. This doesn't give me much faith for Palm's future. The business market is going to continue its migration to Pocket PC...
Advert
Old 10-04-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, disappointing specs, but I'm still delighted to get one as soon as I can. Big upgrade for me, and I like PalmOS. I've resigned myself to PalmOne being a year or so behind the technology curve. But I'm concerned about the focus on Treo also, and the potential for businesses to go mainly Pocket PC. Not to mention lots of consumers.

In about a year or two, when sales fall for PalmOne's traditional PDAs, they may respond by saying they were right to pursue smart phones because the traditional PDA market has proved to be weak as expected. Of course, that will be their own fault because of weak device offerings.

Let's hope I'm wrong!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is interesting how palmOne tries to justify the old, less-capable Palm 5.4 OS:

Stephane Maes, senior product line manager for handhelds at PalmOne, insisted there was no need to go to the newer OSes.

“We’ve done everything on top of the [current] OS like File Transfer. In terms of OS 6, you’re not going to gain anything,” Maes said.

So OS 6 is all about File Transfer? Give me a break.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Well, you have to wait for a month as the T5 won't be available until November.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Bob given that PalmSource announced the first smartphones (and now I definitely believe that this includes PDAs as well) would emerge in the beginning of next year, I'd wait if I was you the two or three months longer.

Also, wouldn't you miss built-in WiFi?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:57 AM   #10
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
The T5 seems aimed at the business folks that run around with UBS drives. A friend of mine in the hotel business sees lots of people with those so maybe there is a market.

But I am certainly not in that market demographic. I'm not sure I would want a Wi-Fi card sticking out the top of my handheld - seems like it would break too easy.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Wow, talk about buzzkill.

This is definitely a high-powered little gadget, but c'mon people. This seems like a bizarre attempt to put something into the market before they officially unveil Cobalt. It's just so obvious that the OS isn't ready yet. I'm guessing early '05 now (uneducated of course).
Old 10-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Wow, talk about buzzkill.

This is definitely a high-powered little gadget, but c'mon people. This seems like a bizarre attempt to put something into the market before they officially unveil Cobalt. It's just so obvious that the OS isn't ready yet. I'm guessing early '05 now (uneducated of course).
Morpheus was right with his interpretation of the PalmSource OS 6.1 interview, namely that "smartphones" would include PDAs.

So let's wait for Tungsten T6...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:26 AM   #13
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Infosync had a chance already to play with the T5:

The screen is the same bright and crisp high-res design palmOne has been using for over a year...The user-accessible RAM, what most users are used to, is 55 MB, slightly more than the T3. Then there is 160 MB of user-accessible Flash ROM that functions like an internal flash drive and can survive a power loss...The battery has been beefed up as well to 1100 mAh compared to the T3's not quite adequate 950 mAh...While it doesn't offer as much of a swiss-army-knife-esque feature set as recent models from HP and Dell, it pulls off palmOne's usual polish and integration, the company's main claim to fame.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've not seen any mention of the T5 battery life. Unfortunately, it'll be a while until
we get some real-life reports of how the battery holds up. It is one of my major concerns when upgrading my PDA.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #15
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
I guess that I have to upgrade to os X if I want to get an upgrade for my zire71. May just not upgrade and buy another zire71 when the time comes.