Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
desktop upgraded - broken

well , felling bored, I ran the kobo desktop software which did a mandatory update & is now broken.

it is saying
kobo.exe - NO Disk
there is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\harddisk4\Dr3

I have no idea what it thinks it's supposed to be doing.

good that I dont actually use this software for real

I suppose I'll have to uninstall it now & reinstall it once its debugged, unless the error mysteriously goes away.

I did notice that while updating it opened a couple of DOS windows ( I am on WIn 7) and dis a quiet install of vc-redist ( like a needed another of those to go with the 30+ copied of that that steam has already given me )

Now if could be that it has fallen foul of my Cryptoprevent utility that blocks new exe running in appdata until whitelisted, so I will go check that, but it looks more like general incompetence by Kobo

UPDATE - BADLY BROKEN

uninstalled, downloaded from kobo re-installed, installer seems to complete ok - but launch kobo.exe & I get same no disc error as before.

it looks like its wanting to connect to a plugged in e-reader but it has not actually asked for one & no way am I inviting it to brick the reader for me. That is something I do use & value - unlike the desktop app!

I am going to try a total wipe-out style uninstall via revo uninstaller & see where that leads.

Last edited by cybmole; 04-22-2014 at 08:04 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update - a reboot of PC has not changed anything
more wierdness: examining the new desktop shortcut it is wanting to start here
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Kobo\fonts"
but there's nothign in the fonts sub-directory except a couple of fonts.

it also tags a switch to the target command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Kobo\Kobo.exe" --affiliate kobodesktop

neither of which explain the no disc in drive error though

going to the install directory & running from there make no difference either

I am sure it is trying to read from a non-existent connected device ?

I have tried a fresh download of the installer, direct from kobo.
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
strange, I've updated without any issues, and the programme runs as normal. I am on windows 8, though.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard

I have been searching for an older version of the win 7 desktop intaller to test with that, bu cannot find it online & did not save a copy.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Funny... I was not prompted for a mandatory upgrade; was on 3.6.0 I think. However, I then downloaded from kobosetup.com, and like you now have a broken Kobo Desktop.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Reported and Devs are investigating.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Glad, in a way, that is is not me.

But I just tried installing the same latest download onto a different win 7 PC that has never had any Kobo software on it, & that install went on OK.

so on this pc, & on yours, there must be some trace data that needs to be found & wiiped. I see nothing in registry, & nothing in app data, so I don't really know where to look for that though. It could be that the install has tried to update some previous version of a kobo usb driver, if one exists, & that is where the trouble likes. ON a PC that has no such previous version it just installs a later version which goes OK ?

there's some sort of task kill happens at the start of the install, so maybe it's a rogue task not a rogue driver ?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I am running Windows 7, after getting the update the Kobo Desktop will not open.

I have already uninstall and reinstall Kobo installer and still the same issue.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I am running Windows 7, after getting the update the Kobo Desktop will not open.

I have already uninstall and reinstall Kobo installer and still the same issue.
do you get same error message as I posted previously ?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Downloaded and updated on two systems, one Windows 8.1 Update, the other Windows 7, both x64. Both installs are not showing any problems. Version shows as 3.7.0. (17/04/2014 (8eb9c1f8b2))

Uninstalled on the Win7 system, deleted Kobo created directories and reinstalled. Still no problem though syncing was slower than I had expected.

Desktop shortcut on both was going to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kobo\Kobo.exe" --affiliate Kobo with the start in directory set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kobo\fonts".

Edit: Just tried on a 3rd system (Win7 x86) and that one worked as well. Only difference is the (x86) in the shortcuts.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-22-2014 at 01:19 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Reported and Devs are investigating.
PS
how will we know when it is sorted

do Kobo usually make an announcement or do they just quietly up up the fixed version & hope for no publicity ?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Downloaded and updated on two systems, one Windows 8.1 Update, the other Windows 7, both x64. Both installs are not showing any problems. Version shows as 3.7.0. (17/04/2014 (8eb9c1f8b2))

Uninstalled on the Win7 system, deleted Kobo created directories and reinstalled. Still no problem though syncing was slower than I had expected.

Desktop shortcut on both was going to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kobo\Kobo.exe" --affiliate Kobo with the start in directory set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kobo\fonts".

Edit: Just tried on a 3rd system (Win7 x86) and that one worked as well. Only difference is the (x86) in the shortcuts.

Regards,
David
which just shows that it works on some PCs, not on others.that is consistent with Kob haveing done some QA but not enough QA.
my problem version has the same 17/4 timestamp, & like I say it installed fine on a virgin PC. but there are now 3 of us in this thread with win 7 PCs , all with broken & apparently unfixable installs.
FWIW My PC is 64 bit but the kobo program if it is installing the x86 folder ?

& nitpicking, surely that /fonts subfolder is the wrong place for the program to be told to start.

Because I actually use calibre, this desktop software not working is not a personal disaster, but it could be for other Kobo customers. I see no way to even report the issue on their web site & I see no way to grab any instll logs/ error message, other than the one I have already typed.
I am usually pretty good at getting stubborn programs to behave but here I have tried many permutations of uninstall/ reboot/ run as admin, tick compatibility settings, grab the install program from different locations....

there are no custom install options.

i see in properties - digital signature : Kobo Inc, no email address, timestamp 17 April 2014 20:40:58

PS you say "deleted kobo directories" : are there other directories, besides the program files one ? _ I cannot find any

---------------------------
Kobo.exe - No Disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk4\DR3.
Cancel Try Again Continue

Last edited by cybmole; 04-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

PS googling that error leas to a lot of windows related stuff about removable drives. but my Windows set up is fine for everythign exelct this one program !

i read here
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...dr3-error.html
that DR3 refers to 3rd entry in disk management table in windows, In my case that is a RAM drive.(R). my C drive is the 4th entry. I wonder if there's some issue with the Kobo installer being confused by RAM drives. I Don't want to have to dismantle my R drive though - I use it for all browser temp internet files & it's very stable. And it has not caused any other installer to glitch.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
do you get same error message as I posted previously ?
No error message at all.

I double-click on the Kobo icon, I see an hour glass and it disappears.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
which just shows that it works on some PCs, not on others.that is consistent with Kob haveing done some QA but not enough QA.
That's the problem when you have a limited number of test systems.

Quote:
my problem version has the same 17/4 timestamp, & like I say it installed fine on a virgin PC. but there are now 3 of us in this thread with win 7 PCs , all with broken & apparently unfixable installs.
FWIW My PC is 64 bit but the kobo program if it is installing the x86 folder ?
Kobo desktop is 32 bit so installs in the x86 folder.

Quote:
& nitpicking, surely that /fonts subfolder is the wrong place for the program to be told to start.
The start in folder is not used by quite a few programs. For the Kobo desktop, I tried changing the directory to C:\Drivers. The application launched and ran happily.

Quote:
Because I actually use calibre, this desktop software not working is not a personal disaster, but it could be for other Kobo customers. I see no way to even report the issue on their web site & I see no way to grab any instll logs/ error message, other than the one I have already typed.
I am usually pretty good at getting stubborn programs to behave but here I have tried many permutations of uninstall/ reboot/ run as admin, tick compatibility settings, grab the install program from different locations....

there are no custom install options.

i see in properties - digital signature : Kobo Inc, no email address, timestamp 17 April 2014 20:40:58

PS you say "deleted kobo directories" : are there other directories, besides the program files one ? _ I cannot find any
There is a Kobo directory in the AppData/Local which I deleted as well. Most of the contents of that directory are restored when the initial sync after install occurs.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote