Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
ericZollman
ericZollman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thumbs up WiFi Device Connection (wishlist)

Hello...

I simply think that it would be a great idea if Calibre could connect to certain (WiFi enabled) devices without using any usb cables & sync the device via WiFi., Or even allow the user to manually add and remove books from their device using WiFi.,

I own a Kobo Touch and its Desktop App does this with no problem at all. Of course the official Kobo Desktop App imposes many limitations on the user. For one, I can not add an ePub book from my hard drive. All books must be purchased through the Kobo software before it will be added to your library., Yeah, Thats stupid...

OK so this was a bit long winded so I'll wrap it all up real quick...

If there is a Calibre extension that is already out there which allows WiFi sync PLEASE let me know about it.,

If not, And any of you reading this would like to help me code just such an open-source extension, please contact me and we can work on the project together.,

-Eric Zollman
calibre.wifi.extension@gmail.com
ericZollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The closest things that currently exists are the wireless device driver and the iOS plugin. Both requires an "app" running on the device to handle calibre's requests, deal with the file system, and interact with the user.

The calibre device subsystem is built around connecting to something that presents a file system. It (calibre) directly reads and writes books and metadata from/to that file system. If you can come up with a device driver that emulates that process using some native functionality on the device then calibre will take care of the rest. If you cannot then you will need to take the road that the iOS plugin and wireless device drivers took, requiring specific intelligence on the device to handle calibre's requests.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Not quite the same, but you can run the calibre server and use the browser on the Kobo Touch to connect to your calibre library. You can download books to the device from there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, sync, usb connection, wifi