Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
B&N 3rd Quarter results; New tablet soon?

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/26/as-barn...nother-tablet/

Summary: Nook revenues down 50% from last year. Retail store revenues down 6.3%, but profits are up. Nook lost 26% of employees. They are talking to hardware partners to launch a new color device in early fiscal 2015, to "reverse the content sales decline."

I wonder what the price of this new tablet will be and whether they intend to offer two sizes as they have in the past.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
http://gigaom.com/2014/02/26/as-barn...nother-tablet/

Summary: Nook revenues down 50% from last year. Retail store revenues down 6.3%, but profits are up. Nook lost 26% of employees. They are talking to hardware partners to launch a new color device in early fiscal 2015, to "reverse the content sales decline."
B&N may want to look to restoring customer confidence in the Nook webstore to "reverse the content sales decline."

Poor content/customer experience is not fixed by new hardware offerings.

- Former B&N loyal customer
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Maybe B&N should get rid of the books and turn their stores into high priced gift stores
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
B&N may want to look to restoring customer confidence in the Nook webstore to "reverse the content sales decline."

Poor content/customer experience is not fixed by new hardware offerings.

- Former B&N loyal customer
An completely new B&N website will be launched in April. This website is supposed to be much more integrated with Nook, and hopefully the customer experience will be much better.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Maybe B&N should get rid of the books and turn their stores into high priced gift stores
The phrase you're looking for is "lifestyle merchandise", as Indigo puts it.
It allows for coffee table, self-help, and celebrity tell-all books as well as the toys and trinkets.
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i...service=mobile

Quote:
To help create her lifestyle merchandise and experiences, Ms. Reisman will pour more money into product development and design at her recently-launched studio in New York. The private-label goods it produces are starting to take off, she said: in the latest quarter, sales of gift and “lifestyle” products rose between 28 per cent and 40 per cent.

Ms. Reisman said that in expanding into affordable gifts and home items, she’s counting on creating “an experience” for the customer.

“I’m not interested in selling a bowl,” she said. “That’s not the business I’m going to be in. I am interested in creating an experience around the table for the customer ... There is so much about what inspired and created Apple – the conviction about creating an end experience for the consumer ... the commitment to beauty and simplicity.”
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Another tablet...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
The closing of Fictionwise and transfer to B&N should have meant a big boost to B&N's customer numbers. But the bungled transfer and the appalling B&N ebook store web site have probably driven customers away.

I did eventually get my books transferred (on of the lucky ones), yet actually accessing my books is near impossible. Whoever designed their store doesn't seem to have considered people with more than 30 or 40 ebook! 1500+ seems to be just more than it can cope with.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Whoever designed their store doesn't seem to have considered people with more than 30 or 40 ebook! 1500+ seems to be just more than it can cope with.
Amazon has a similar problem but they're apparently testing a solution, albeit slowly.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Uw8-Q47D_MI
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Amazon has a similar problem but they're apparently testing a solution, albeit slowly.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Uw8-Q47D_MI
It may take a bit of time to load the 1500+ books in my Amazon account, and more time to navigate through them, but at least I *can* get to all the books. Not true at the B&N web site for the UK!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Whoever designed their store doesn't seem to have considered people with more than 30 or 40 ebook!
Sounds like a self-confidence problem. I heard those are crippling
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I did eventually get my books transferred (on of the lucky ones), yet actually accessing my books is near impossible. Whoever designed their store doesn't seem to have considered people with more than 30 or 40 ebook! 1500+ seems to be just more than it can cope with.
Didn't Fictionwise sell internationally?

If they did, then someone like me would be SOL after a B&N transfer, as I can't buy anything there. They just won't let me, because I'm not in the USA.

I hate this world.

Me: "I want that book! Here, take my money!"
B&N: "No. You live in the wrong country."

*goes to another store*
*buys book there*

B&N: "It seems our store is not selling anything. We're not doing well...."

Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Didn't Fictionwise sell internationally?
They did indeed. Anyone not in the US or the UK lost access to their books. And because of the really bad opt-in transfer scheme, lots of people in the US and the UK also lost access.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
They did indeed. Anyone not in the US or the UK lost access to their books. And because of the really bad opt-in transfer scheme, lots of people in the US and the UK also lost access.
So I did remember that correctly. Did Fictionwise use DRM, and if so, was it removable? If not, that'd be VERY bad. Just making people lose access to content they paid for, without fault of their own, should be prohibited by law.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So I did remember that correctly. Did Fictionwise use DRM, and if so, was it removable? If not, that'd be VERY bad. Just making people lose access to content they paid for, without fault of their own, should be prohibited by law.
Fictionwise had DRM-free, Mobipocket DRM, Adobe DRM, Microsoft DRM and Palm DRM files. And possibly some I've forgotten.

Perhaps B&N should try to revitalise its sales by persuading some publishers to sell DRM-free only through B&N, as Amazon did with music.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Heh beat me to it. I was going to post this last night when I read it, but fell asleep. Ah well. Anyway I think it is good to see, *if* they learn from their mistakes. So the Nook is not a dead platform yet.

I agree about the problems with the website. Back when they did a revamp...hmm in 2012 I think, or was it 2011, not sure, the site went from speedy, handy, efficient to sloth slow sludge. Eventually it was improved with a few updates to various browsers, but NOT by anything B&N did. I mentioned this to B&N several times, to no avail. Why in the world they thought this was better is beyond me.

I like websites with speed not with slow glint and flash. That is one of the problems these days. Many sites take a while to load and flip all over the place when you try to scroll due to the way they are designed. Sure they look fancy, but if it takes you 3x to get where you want, is it really better? No. But I realize that looks sell, well that is until you try to USE the site on a regular basis lol. Facebook, Google+ are two that come to mind. By contrast Twitter I never have a problem with.

B&N's site is similar to Facebook and takes a while to get where you are going. I don't generally have problems downloading books from the sites, but then I am not trying to download 1,000 books in one shot either. When I got in on the Analog deal this past December with a year of back issues free, the list of the 20 issues came in no problem. But of course they didn't download then, I had to click each one to download (On both my Nook Tablet and Nook Classic). But that only took a couple of minutes to get them all. However if you had 500 or 1000 books, yes that is going to take a bit. But I think that will be the same with any retailer currently (Kindle, Kobo etc). The book downloads automatically if you just bought it within the past few days and it is less then say 5. Anything over that you get the list and have to download them to the device by clicking/tapping on them (or bringing up the info and clicking download)

Anyway I do hope the B&N site revamp actually improves the situation. I have tried to tell them for years what the problems were (as we all have) perhaps they are finally listening. If they are, perhaps there is a chance. But we will just have to see.

---Edit---
I should have mentioned that I too had Fictionwise books that never transferred and I am the USA. However, I sent in my request on the very last day, and it may have been past the hour they were accepting them. Or it got lost in the shuffle. Didn't matter to me as I already have 1000 books in my B&N account and I didn't need another 1000. I have all of the books and I can side load them with Calibre at any time or directly (in fact many of them I have). The one great thing about Fictionwise (although there were many), was the ability to bulk download your books. Sure they didn't have devices that synced with cloud storage, but it was fast and flexible. They even gave out spread sheet files (csv) to help you keep track of your library. As far as I know, it was unique in the industry. Too bad the rest of the retailers won't allow the same features. Or at least the bulk download.

Last edited by DBDigital; 02-27-2014 at 11:52 AM.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote