Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Return of the Kobo guy and the old-style home screen in fw3.2.0

Here is something interesting I just discovered on my Glo with firmware 3.2.0: Add the line KrakenIsPhoenix=false to the [ApplicationPreferences] section of the Glo's configuration file and you get the old stye homescreen and other UI features such as a slider to navigate the library. You also get the happy Kobo guy on the sleep screen if you don't have it set to show the book cover.

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Glo. It is not quite the same as the old homescreen I remember from before 2.6.1, but I like it an awful lot better than the new tiled homescreen. (I can't show the sleep screen because the sleep switch is used to take the screenshot).

Edit: Unfortunately with this setting you also lose some of the features that were added in recent firmware, such as the back button inside the book, so it looks like I will have to put up with the tiled homescreen for a while longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homescreen.png
Views:	923
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	119568   Click image for larger version

Name:	library.png
Views:	891
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	119569  

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-25-2014 at 09:45 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wonder if that is in there for the Mini distribution?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
windyvincent
windyvincent began at the beginning.

Device: nook str & kobo glo
GeoffR, please teach me how to get the snapshot.
Thanks a lot.
windyvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyvincent View Post
GeoffR, please teach me how to get the snapshot.
Thanks a lot.
Add this section to your configuration file (./kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf):
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
Then you can take a screenshot by a quick flick of the sleep/power switch (same as you would do to sleep/wake the device).

When you have finished taking screenshots, plug the reader in to the PC and the screenshots will be in the device's root directory. Copy and delete them from the device and change the configuration file entry back to Screenshots=false before unplugging. (If you don't delete the screenshots from the device they will be processed as new images when you unplug).
Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
windyvincent
windyvincent began at the beginning.

Device: nook str & kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Add this section to your configuration file (./kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf):
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
Then you can take a screenshot by a quick flick of the sleep/power switch (same as you would do to sleep/wake the device).

When you have finished taking screenshots, plug the reader in to the PC and the screenshots will be in the device's root directory. Copy and delete them from the device and change the configuration file entry back to Screenshots=false before unplugging. (If you don't delete the screenshots from the device they will be processed as new images when you unplug).
Appreciated, tried in 3.1.1 FW but not fuctioned.
Tried again in 3.2.0 and success.
windyvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Here is something interesting I just discovered on my Glo with firmware 3.2.0: Add the line KrakenIsPhoenix=false to the [ApplicationPreferences] section of the Glo's configuration file and you get the old stye homescreen and other UI features such as a slider to navigate the library. You also get the happy Kobo guy on the sleep screen if you don't have it set to show the book cover.
Where do I find the configuration file? Thanx!
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbug View Post
Where do I find the configuration file? Thanx!
The Kobo eReader.conf file lives in the Kobo directory located inside the .kobo directory which is in the root of the internal storage.

If you want to add the Screenshots= setting, look for the [FeatureSettings] header first. If it doesn't exist, add both lines, otherwise just add the Screenshots= line. If you don't use a sleepcover, I'd recommend editing the file to set Screenshots=true, taking the screen captures and then editing to set Screenshots=false.

[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=false

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I wonder if that is in there for the Mini distribution?
I think it was there for the Aura testing. The Aura has the codename "Phoenix" and the Glo is "Kraken". When I first saw that option, it was a a couple of months before the Aura was announced. I assumed that having "KrakenIsPhoenix=true" allowed Kobo to test changes for the Aura on the Glo but I don't remember seeing any differences.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I'm waiting for them to bring back the smiley face on the Mini. Until then I will remain on the old, old version I am on...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think it was there for the Aura testing. The Aura has the codename "Phoenix" and the Glo is "Kraken". When I first saw that option, it was a a couple of months before the Aura was announced. I assumed that having "KrakenIsPhoenix=true" allowed Kobo to test changes for the Aura on the Glo but I don't remember seeing any differences.
There is some sense to that, and though there might not be an interface difference, there could be a behind the scenes difference, for example, a unique model identifier sent up to the server when you sync.
This option would therefore allow a Glo to masquerade as an Aura, and send up the Aura's unique model identifier, and thus it an be checked that the system is picking up the Aura correctly.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sharkus: I was thinking front-end changes, but back-end testing like that makes more sense.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
LaLaLia
LaLaLia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch - Kobo Glo - Kobo Aura H2O - MEO Tablet 2
How can I revert this? Is a factory reset needed? Erasing KrakenIsPhoenix=false from the .conf file is not working :3
LaLaLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLia View Post
How can I revert this? Is a factory reset needed? Erasing KrakenIsPhoenix=false from the .conf file is not working :3
What device and firmware version do you have?

Removing the KrakenIsPhoenix from the config file should revert it, no need for a factory reset. But note that the Touch and Mini used the old homescreen after the Glo and other devices had already changed to the new homescreen, so what homescreen you see on the Touch will not necessarily be the same as what is seen on the Glo with the same firmware version.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-04-2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
LaLaLia
LaLaLia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch - Kobo Glo - Kobo Aura H2O - MEO Tablet 2
Quote:
What device and firmware version do you have?

Removing the KrakenIsPhoenix from the config file should revert it, no need for a factory reset. But note that the Touch and Mini used the old homescreen after the Glo and other devices had already changed to the new homescreen, so what homescreen you see on the Touch will not necessarily be the same as what is seen on the Glo with the same firmware version.
I don't know why but leaving the Glo untouched overnight worked.
Thank you anyway, as usual

Last edited by LaLaLia; 11-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
LaLaLia is offline   Reply With Quote