Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
PalmOS Cobalt 6.1 News - Tungsten T5 late arrival?

The Register has a quick write up of the new Palm OS Cobalt, which was presented at Palm's European developer conference in Munich this week.

According to the article, integration has taken longer than expected, and the first new phones won't appear until the first quarter of next year. I am not sure if by "phones" they also mean handhelds, but if yes, then don't expect to see the new Tungsten T5 under your Christmas tree this year!

New hot Cobalt features mention in the article:
- TrueType font support
- translucent windows and drop shadows
- new web browser with "squeeze rendering", multi-tab
Old 09-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Although WEP is finally integrated, I don't understand why more advanced Wi-Fi security standards such as WPA/802.11i are not supported in Cobalt 6.1 (even Windows Mobile supports it!).

What I like about Cobalt is that it now uses NAND Flash memory for automatic backups: when the battery reaches a certain low trigger point, your data is automatically written into the NAND Flash memory.
Advert
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
I think by 'phones', he means phones.

Note the discussion in the last paragraph about Symbian OS and the M$ Smartphone OS.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow, this sounds really cool. I have to admit that I'm intrigued. I wonder if Palm can make a serious comeback here. TrueType font support is HUGE for me. I've always hated the Palm standard font. But how can they leave out native support for WPA?? And I hope that they've improved the ability to connect to Windows networks. Without that they can't hope to compete with the growing business world of PPCs.