Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Dover Beach - Richard Bowker

The best Post Apocalyptic detective novel I've ever read. And Amazon still has it for free. (as of 02/06/2014)

Set in Boston, Massachusetts after what appears to be a limited nuclear war that had pretty severe cultural and economic consequences (causes and who the war was with were never discussed, I guess everyone in that place knew the causes and don't discuss them as a rule).

North America has pretty much fallen apart and is slowly beginning to rebuild. Britain somehow escaped much of the warfare, but while much better off than the USA, is still in pretty reduced circumstances.

They, the Britons, also created a relief force that came to the USA to restore order but their motives were considered suspect, and after a few years, they returned home, taking many of the US's remaining top scientists with them. Whether those scientists went willingly or were kidnapped is not clear to anyone. This leaves the US/British relationship kind of brittle. Even so, Americans dream of England the way they used to dream about California in the 1950's.

The main character is a man in his thirties obsessed with the detective fiction of Dashiell Hammett, and the films of Humphrey Bogart even though he has never actually seen a film. So he decides to become a Private Detective.

His very first case is that of a man who is convinced he is the clone of a scientist who the Brits took back with them when they left the USA.

An interesting alternate universe and a very believable one I think. This is a book worth looking into. I'm buying the second book in the series. I hope there's more.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-07-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: I, stink; at punctuation!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's the link, for curious minds who want to know:

http://www.amazon.com/Dover-Beach-La...Richard+Bowker

Unfortunately, I found that I picked this up for free on Jan. 25, so it looks like I'm out of luck.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for the lack of a link. . .

I was so intent on getting my little book report out, that detail slipped my mind. Since it has already been provided, I will forego the duplicate effort.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Kobo has it here for free http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...-series-book-1

But I haven't been able to download it. The Sony Reader software says it's already in my library. But it's not there.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Not free in the UK - not today, at least. It seems to be a massive £1.12 at Amazon and £1.99 at Kobo (presumably couponable).
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I was so intent on getting my little book report out, that detail slipped my mind. Since it has already been provided, I will forego the duplicate effort.
No problem!

I was wondering about this title. I actually have it on my TBR list, rather than just lost somewhere in calibre.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Kobo has it here for free http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...-series-book-1

But I haven't been able to download it. The Sony Reader software says it's already in my library. But it's not there.

That's really strange. What do you think the problem is?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not a clue. I went to the Kobo site and downloaded it and it shows in my download list as URLLink rather than Dover Beach. And I can't find it in my Sony Reader software or any of my Library files. Go figure
Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not a clue. I went to the Kobo site and downloaded it and it shows in my download list as URLLink rather than Dover Beach. And I can't find it in my Sony Reader software or any of my Library files. Go figure
So, I just synced my eReader and it did upload Dover Beach. Why I can't see it in my library on my PC but it ends up on my Reader is a mystery.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Picked this one up on the 24th because it seemed interesting. Glad to know it's good! I'll read it next. *^-^*
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So, I just synced my eReader and it did upload Dover Beach. Why I can't see it in my library on my PC but it ends up on my Reader is a mystery.
Did you do a full search of your computer?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Got it from Amazon UK no problem, and it loaded OK from Calibre .... (Alf'ed)

Sounds interesting.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

I just completed the second book. . .

It is called, "The Distance Beacons".

The story is again set in Boston, and in the plot, the President of the USA is coming to Boston to promote reintegration of New England back into the USA proper via referendum. Apparently New England isn't actually a part of the USA; instead it appears to be occupied territory.

Walter Sands is hired by the federally appointed Governor to act as the local representative of her security detail and to find out who a rebel group is and if they represent a threat to the President.

I really enjoy how Richard Bowker is beginning to flesh out his universe. The details seem well thought out and logically consistent. I do think the mystery/detective part of the story is a little weak though. I had figured out whodunit early on in the book, though that didn't significantly detract from my enjoyment of the book overall.

I especially think the Governor could be an interesting character to develop. He is percieved by the New Englanders as a hated "Fed", who sold his soul to the occupying army for food, shelter, and comfort. But he clearly is trying to balance the need for order and civilization with the need for freedom. I don't know if he should be a "good" guy or bad. But I think his story needs telling.

I do have a concern with a part of the Universe Bowker is building that I think might end this story line prematurely though. The "New United States" seems to be trying to build itself without using our current Constitution. Nationhood in the USA isn't defined by history, or common genetics, the things that define many other nations. All we have is the Constitution to define us as a nation.

The people are protected by the Constitution, and the Constitution is protected by the institutions we, the people, have built. It is a delicate balancing act, our status as a nation. I simply don't believe you can build a viable nation-state and ignore the current US Constitution. You might be able to restate what is in that Constitution in a different document but you can't ignore it.

It sounds as if Richard Bowker is trying to do that very thing, but his characters are simply "Too American" to let the government that appears to be forming to last. This will inevitably be a central part of the conflict that this story arc represents whether Bowker intends it or not.

One last thing, I don't know at what point in recent history this universe diverges from our own, but all the "Americans" are either northern European white, or black. No Asians, no Puerto Ricans, Cubans, or Mexicans seem to exist. There aren't even any Portuguese, and in some parts of NE, they are the dominant ethnic group. I don't think you can really build a complete picture of the East Coast without the Puerto Ricans, and for the last 20 years or so, without the Mexicans. Readers will get a skewed Euro-centric view of America without them. Again, this may be a part of the story arc that is building, certainly it is believable that bureaucrats will think this way, but regular people will have to deal with this on a day to day basis.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-11-2014 at 07:35 AM.