Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Enesco
Enesco began at the beginning.

Device: ipad Kobo H2O
Moving or copying books between libraries is sloooow

Hi,

I recently "moved" to a new PC.
Fast intel 4770, SSD, fast HD. Everything works fine except....
Moving or copying books between libraries is sloooow.
I tried the usual stuff (reinstalling, testing HD speed, moving the library to the SSD,...)
I use windows 7 64 bits and calibre 64 bits; All programs are on the SSD,
the libraries are on the HD.
Just to be clear: everything in Calibre works fast except moving or copying,
which is far slower compared to my old (slower) computer.
I tested with small libraries (<100 books) but this does not help either.

Does anyone have similar problems or tips?

Kind regards,
Enesco
Enesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesco View Post
Hi,

I recently "moved" to a new PC.
Fast intel 4770, SSD, fast HD. Everything works fine except....
Moving or copying books between libraries is sloooow.
I tried the usual stuff (reinstalling, testing HD speed, moving the library to the SSD,...)
I use windows 7 64 bits and calibre 64 bits; All programs are on the SSD,
the libraries are on the HD.
Just to be clear: everything in Calibre works fast except moving or copying,
which is far slower compared to my old (slower) computer.
I tested with small libraries (<100 books) but this does not help either.

Does anyone have similar problems or tips?

Kind regards,
Enesco

Security software settings
Indexing settings
Cloud connected folders involved
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Enesco

>theducks

I very much appreciate you input!

- disabling Norton Antivirus: no difference.
- indexing is off.
- I do not use any Cloud services.

I searched the net, but could not find other ideas.
I assume that Calibre writes only to the library-files on the HD, not to the program
directory on the SSD... If I 'manually' (not in Calibre) copy the same books to the HD, it is very fast, so I think that modifying the Calibre database file is the problem... ?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
>theducks

I very much appreciate you input!

- disabling Norton Antivirus: no difference.
- indexing is off.
- I do not use any Cloud services.

I searched the net, but could not find other ideas.
I assume that Calibre writes only to the library-files on the HD, not to the program
directory on the SSD... If I 'manually' (not in Calibre) copy the same books to the HD, it is very fast, so I think that modifying the Calibre database file is the problem... ?
Calibre is also manipulating 2 Databases as well as copying files, so it might be the DB portion slowing things down.

Have you run the Library maintenance ON BOTH libraries?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Enesco

Yes I ran Library maintenance on both databases.
I also created two new small databases, the problem persists.
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes I ran Library maintenance on both databases.
I also created two new small databases, the problem persists.
well how many seconds are you hoping to save, & how many hours do you want on invest in saving them

how often do you need to copy from one library to another anyway ?

perhaps, while you are waiting for your next library copy to complete, you could pass the time by rearranging these words into a well known phrase

life

a

get

or go make a nice cuppa tea
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well how many seconds are you hoping to save, & how many hours do you want on invest in saving them

how often do you need to copy from one library to another anyway ?

perhaps, while you are waiting for your next library copy to complete, you could pass the time by rearranging these words into a well known phrase

life

a

get

or go make a nice cuppa tea
Things like this is why I simply have more that 1 (clunky ) PC.
Let'r grind away while I surf MR on the other one
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Enesco

Hi,

running proces monitor reveals a lot of writing to
the library on the HD and to this file on the SSD:
C:\Users\MvdS\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_7_hao0\6l nhuf.epub
could this be the origin of the problem?

M.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Enesco

Try relocating the calibre's temp folder to a regular disk - see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables - set CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I run calibre in Linux, and copies between libraries are fast. Perhaps max a second for a big epub of 30 MB. It seems that the book is first copied to the temp folder, then to the final destination. I have my temp on a RAM-drive and my libraries on a local harddrive that is write and read cached using a SSD.

Exactly what do you mean by slow? 5 minutes or 5 seconds? How big is the book? What types of disks are the libraries on? If USB or Network is involved, then that may be the problem.

Copying a lot of books between libraries is slow even in my setup... I usually check mobileread while waiting...

Reboot and verify that the temp folder is empty, or at least not full of crud from before the reboot, and plenty of free space left.
Use the disk maintenance tools and diagnostics on the source and destination disk(s). Google "check drive Windows 7" and "improve performance drive Windows 7" for suggestions.
Try to manually copy the book.
The antivirus software may be the problem. Test with it turned off, and try to Google to see if others have problems with it. Possibly switch to some other.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-23-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Enesco

Try relocating the calibre's temp folder to a regular disk - see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables - set CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR

BR
a regular disc will probably be slower than an SSD - folks buy SSD for more speed.

the truly speed obsessed would use a RAM disc for the temp file

I continue to fascinated by the OCD inspired nature of this thread , & the cost benefit :

man-hours ( expressed in seconds) of thoughts & postings to-date vs seconds of processing time saved so far,
are we at 100,000 : 1 yet
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
a regular disc will probably be slower than an SSD - folks buy SSD for more speed.

the truly speed obsessed would use a RAM disc for the temp file
I use both an SSD and a RAM disk for the TEMP folder. Speed is a nice side-effect of using a RAM disk for TEMP (and RAM is cheap now-a-days), but another consideration is removing wear-and-tear on the SSD.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #13
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Calibre is a great software package to use if you like to try to squeeze out the most from your computer and your discs. I don't know any other single user software that can stress a computer, like calibre can. It doesn't mean that there is a problem with calibre, more the opposite. Calibre makes it easy and convenient to do complex and wonderful things that needs an insane lot of oomph from the computer and the discs. Without calibre you would never think of renaming thousands of folders and files, and unzip, update and zip again. With calibre you just go get a cup of coffee while the computer gets a workout.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I use both an SSD and a RAM disk for the TEMP folder. Speed is a nice side-effect of using a RAM disk for TEMP (and RAM is cheap now-a-days), but another consideration is removing wear-and-tear on the SSD.
I used to be very skeptical of RAM discs but I set one up last year in Windows 7 for browser (IE & Chrome ) caches & it has worked perfectly ever since - survives crashes, reboots...

dunno if it impacts speed at all but I did it to reduce HD wear & tear , & fragmentation.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Actually I use a RAM disk for a different reason; I'm very bad at cleaning up downloads.... So I download to a RAM disk; itmes I want to keep get moved, the rest.. next reboot they're gone!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote