Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
hodjworld
hodjworld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Older Kobo won't turn on

I have an old Kobo. Last weekend I connected to kobo desktop for the first time in a few months. It updated the software, now it won't turn on at all. All it says is "updating the software on your ereader" I tried leaving it on for awhile to update (a few hours), didn't help. I tried going to a free wifi area to update, didn't help. I tried the paperclip in the back, didn't help.
Any other ideas? Or do I need to go shopping?
hodjworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What sort of Kobo is it? I suspect your first step now is going to be to charge it fully, then factory reset. Factory reset procedure varies depending on model of device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Try following the advice in Post #38 in this thread. I often have had that problem where the file downloads and then just gets stuck on my Glo. It used to be irritating, but I'll admit now since I prefer to stay on older firmware, it's actually quite handy when it never actually updates for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
hodjworld

I believe the model I have is the original. It is fully charged.

I have tried the paper clip to reset, but it still only continues to try to update.

I have tried connecting to my computer, but it only continues to try to update.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When connected to your computer, can you see the reader directories in Windows Explorer?

Did you try a factory reset? I don't know how you do it on your model though, hopefully someone else will chime in or point you to a link for instructions. It will be something similar to the Glo though, which is:
1. Hold the power button ON for 15-20 seconds to make sure it is off. All lights at the top should be off.
2. Press and HOLD the light button while turning on the Glo. That should put you into a factory reset if that will solve the problem.

Maybe the Wiki will help you, further down the page there are instructions for a factory reset:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_eReader

Factory resetting will lose all books on your reader though, so hopefully you have them backed up somewhere or all purchased from Kobo which should automatically download them all again once you set it up.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-20-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
hodjworld

The factory reset instructions have me going to the menus, but I'm totally locked out of everything because of the "udating the software" thing.

The only thing I can do is turn the device on or off. When it's on it is only trying to update, I have to access to anything.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

There's usually a way to do a hard reset with the control buttons as I mentioned above for the Glo. You just have to find out what it is for your model.

So when it's connected via a USB cable to your PC, you cannot see the files on the Kobo you're saying?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
To factory reset Kobo Wifi that you can not turn on: Hold down home button then using blunt end of paper clip insert into reset hole on back and push in until you feel it click. When you see flashing light next to on button withdraw paper clip. When you see on screen "restoring" release home button.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the original non-wifi Kobo hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to make sure it's really off. Then PRESS AND HOLD the middle of the 4 way switch and turn the device on. There were various combinations with doing this and doing paperclip reset at same time etc, but I would try the above 1st.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A factory reset can be done on the Touch and Glo using the pin-hole button instead of the Home or light button. There is a good chance this will work on the older readers as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
hodjworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
To factory reset Kobo Wifi that you can not turn on: Hold down home button then using blunt end of paper clip insert into reset hole on back and push in until you feel it click. When you see flashing light next to on button withdraw paper clip. When you see on screen "restoring" release home button.
Nothing happens when I do this. It doesn't turn on and there are no lights.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
hodjworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
On the original non-wifi Kobo hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to make sure it's really off. Then PRESS AND HOLD the middle of the 4 way switch and turn the device on. There were various combinations with doing this and doing paperclip reset at same time etc, but I would try the above 1st.
When I tried this, the light flashes and it says "updating the software" just like if I were to turn it on the regular way.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
hodjworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A factory reset can be done on the Touch and Glo using the pin-hole button instead of the Home or light button. There is a good chance this will work on the older readers as well.
I've tried the paper clip in the pinhole MANY times and it does nothing.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
hodjworld

I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has spent on this. This is my first eReader. I have had it for quite a few years. However, I am not so attached to it that I would not consider trashing it for a new model (Kobo or competitor).
Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodjworld View Post
I've tried the paper clip in the pinhole MANY times and it does nothing.
In this case davfor was suggesting HOLDING the pinhole down WHILE turning the device on. Key to all these resets is to make sure you HOLD the power ON for 15-20 seconds BEFORE trying the reset to make sure the device is truly shut down.

However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodjworld View Post
When I tried this, the light flashes and it says "updating the software" just like if I were to turn it on the regular way.
... this would suggest this might be a hardware rather than a firmware problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote