Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
E-Reading Rises as Device Ownership Jumps

New (2014 Jan 16) Pew survey results on reading habits:

Most American adults read a print book in the past year, even as e-reading continues to grow
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
An interesting point is the margin of error in the survey, which is given (for the entire survey) as +/- 3.4%. That is, there's a 95% chance that the real value is within 3.4% of the given value.

This means, unsurprisingly, that the percentage of American adults who have read a book in the past year in print or ebook form has remained statistically constant at around 76%. (79,74,76 for 2011,2012,14), as has the number who've read a print book at 68% (71,65,69).

But ebook reading is really increasing. 17% in 2011, 23% in 2012 and 28% in 2014.

Another interesting point relegated to a footnote is that half of American adults have read 5 or more books over the past year, which is better than I expected.

Yet another intersting point is that the mean is 12 books a year, and given that there are about 225 million US adults, that's 2.7 billion books read in the US each year!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
How much ereader market share does Amazon have in the US?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Overall, 50% of Americans now have a dedicated handheld device–either a tablet computer like an iPad, or an e-reader such as a Kindle or Nook–for reading e-content.
I'm not sure I would consider a tablet computer a "dedicated" device, unless it refers to being dedicated to being handheld. Its nature makes it not dedicated to any one task, at least by design. Certainly not a "dedicated e-reader."
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I'm not sure I would consider a tablet computer a "dedicated" device, unless it refers to being dedicated to being handheld. Its nature makes it not dedicated to any one task, at least by design. Certainly not a "dedicated e-reader."
Quibbling over semantics is useless nonsense. It shouldn't matter what you are reading on be it a tablet/phone/pc/or ereader.

I spend just as much time reading on my phone, tablet & pc as I do my Sony T1. I can and will easily call all of them my dedicated reading devices, because all of them are able to support ebooks and do so to the tune of 800+ books.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert