Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
nichtleiter
nichtleiter began at the beginning.

Device: none
View books from command line

Hi all,

i use calibre on a notebook that runs linux and has not enough power for the gui. That means i have to wait at least one minute if the user interface is ready for any input.

Therefore i have to use the command line tools. Adding, removing and searching for special books is no problem at all. But if i want to view a book by it's database id, i have to hack my own solution. At the moment i use sth. like this, to view a specific book.

I begin with searching by keyword to get the database id. Supposing the id of the book i want to view is 713 the command i invoke is

Code:
xpdf "$(calibredb list -f "formats" -w 1000 | perl -ne 'print $1 if /^713.*\[(.*?)\]/')"
I would like to know how one of those experts around here would open a book from command line or whether i have missed a point in the calibre documentation which just states how to view a book from the database from command line!?

Thanks in advance and best regards
nichtleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtleiter View Post
Hi all,

i use calibre on a notebook that runs linux and has not enough power for the gui. That means i have to wait at least one minute if the user interface is ready for any input.

Therefore i have to use the command line tools. Adding, removing and searching for special books is no problem at all. But if i want to view a book by it's database id, i have to hack my own solution. At the moment i use sth. like this, to view a specific book.

I begin with searching by keyword to get the database id. Supposing the id of the book i want to view is 713 the command i invoke is

Code:
xpdf "$(calibredb list -f "formats" -w 1000 | perl -ne 'print $1 if /^713.*\[(.*?)\]/')"
I would like to know how one of those experts around here would open a book from command line or whether i have missed a point in the calibre documentation which just states how to view a book from the database from command line!?

Thanks in advance and best regards
I don't have the command: but the program you want is in: (using the Calibre command line install path)

/opt/calibre/ebook-viewer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
nichtleiter
nichtleiter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't have the command: but the program you want is in: (using the Calibre command line install path)

/opt/calibre/ebook-viewer
Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately i don't find an option of ebook-viewer that allows to select a specific ebook by its database id. Moreover i prefer to view an ebook with xpdf on the aforementioned notebook or alternatively with xdg-open, since its very resource friendly.

I'll wait for more answers...
nichtleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
sounds like a reasonable way to me. But you might want to ask Kovid as an enhancement for a way to open a book from calibredb.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
command-line