Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Android on Kobo Touch - some questions

Just wondering about a couple of things before I consider trying to get Android on my Kobo Touch.

What version of Android is the image based on?
Is WiFi working?
Does Play Books work?

My main motivation to try Android is Google's new cloud feature that they have added to Play Books. Basically when you open an eBook on a Play Books device is asks if you want to upload it to your Google account. Once there you can access it from any device with Play Books and it saves your reading position so when you pick up another device it remembers where you were in the book.

I'd also love to see a small video of Android running on the Kobo if anyone can point me at one or can upload one to Youtube.
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
To answer my own question about Play Books...

Just pulled my GFs Kobo Glo open and installed the Android image. Yes Play Books works and yes it can pull sync'd content.

Unfortunately it isn't really ready for daily use as the screen redraws constantly during page turns instead of partial refreshes and the sliding page turn effect Play Books uses is not pretty to watch on eInk at all.
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Should be possible but I'm not gonna try. I have a old model Touch with internal NAND? flash memory.
Newer Touch and all other Kobo models use a internal microSD card as internal memory. In case something doesn't pan out it is easy to swap the memory card with a original firmware.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote