Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question Ubuntu/Android on Kobo Touch?

Hello, all:

I am extremely happy that I located this forum - I've been thinking about putting the Adventure Games (Zork - many others) on the Touch (seems like a perfect application) and I've seen a few threads here that talk about this but they all seem to wander off the path of a newbie trying to install preferably Ubuntu (obviously a much reduced version - no sound, no video required).

Is there such a checklist (files to download & where to find them - instructions on where & how to use them, etc) to follow?

Thanks in advance for all of the good work all of you have done so that we, the uninformed, can benefit!

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
You need to:

1. Have another SD card (8GB for Linux, 2GB for Android).
2. Have card reader in your PC (can be cheap USB card reader).
3. Download Win32DiskImager application.
4. Download new image:
a) For Android:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtl9oshdxq..._Kobo_Touch.7z
b) For Linux:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220350
5. Write it to your SD card using Win32DiskImager.
6. Open your Kobo's back cover and replace SD card. There are no screws.

That's all. If something goes wrong, you can replace SD card to original one. For safety reasons don't ever write images to the original SD card.

The Linux is much harder to configure and use. You need to install gargoyle (adventure games interpreter) with "sudo apt-get install gargoyle" command from terminal.

I suggest to try Android version. The nice interpreter for Android is this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dglk.hunkypunk
but there are others.

[EDIT] My images may or may not work on N905B model. I have tested them on N905C model.

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-30-2013 at 01:45 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
swamp thing
Enthusiast
swamp thing began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Brilliant stuff. Tried the Android image on Touch (N905C) and it worked right away.

Now I'm going to cut a window in the back cover so I can swap cards more easily -- it's already three weeks old anyway, so..

Last edited by swamp thing; 12-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
Brilliant stuff. Tried the Android image on Touch (N905C) and it worked right away.

Now I'm going to cut a window in the back cover so I can swap cards more easily -- it's already three weeks old anyway, so..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=1

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

would this work for the touch original(n905) as it has no internal memory due to being built in
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
In theory you could rewrite your internal memory (it _is_ internal memory, it just isn't a changeable microSD) and test, but in fact, you probably do not want to - the risk of bricking is high and the hopes for being able to recover is low.

Making it able to boot from external microSD would require a custom version of uBoot - I don't see this happen soon, unfortunately. This, and probably a modification to the Android image, too.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Will99
Will99 began at the beginning.

Android on Kobo Touch 905B

Hi all
I could use a little help. I've loaded MarekGibek's Android image on my Kobo Touch 905B. Android starts up OK. It loads and it scans the SD card and even finds installed books, but the touch screen does not work. It doesn't respond to touch. The hardware button works fine. The device is not bricked because I reinstalled the original Kobo OS microSD card and the touch screen worked fine again with the Kobo OS.
Can anyone suggest anything I could try to get the Android OS working on my 905B ? Thanks .

Will
Will99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228209
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Will99
Will99 began at the beginning.

Hi Marek
Apologies...I should have found that thread myself ! Thanks for pointing me to it. I followed the instructions and they worked great. Android is now working on my Kobo Touch 905B.
Thanks for all the work you did on developing the android image for Kobo and for taking the time to help newbies like me to get it installed. Much appreciated.

rgds
Will
Will99 is offline   Reply With Quote