Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
xaim
xaim began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Total number of pages

I want to see total number of pages, not only in chapter left. As i know in settings there is no this item. So, may be idk how to do that? Help me.
Reader from Russia who very like Marvin
xaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Apocalypto
Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaim View Post
I want to see total number of pages, not only in chapter left. As i know in settings there is no this item. So, may be idk how to do that? Help me.
Reader from Russia who very like Marvin
There isn't an easy solution because the ePub is usually split into multiple files (usually by chapter but not always) and how many pages varies depending on the current layout settings (font size, margins, etc.)

In order to give an accurate page number Kris would have to layout the book in its entirety on open and for any subsequent layout changes. This could be fairly slow, especially on older devices. Once it was done it could be cached (assuming the layout doesn't change), but the initial slowness to open isn't a trade off I'd make given that overall book progress and chapter page count is already there. One thing Kris could do is to determine the page count based on current formatting if you generate the word count of a book, but there's only so much development time and you have to pick your battles.
Apocalypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
xaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypto View Post
There isn't an easy solution because the ePub is usually split into multiple files (usually by chapter but not always) and how many pages varies depending on the current layout settings (font size, margins, etc.)

In order to give an accurate page number Kris would have to layout the book in its entirety on open and for any subsequent layout changes. This could be fairly slow, especially on older devices. Once it was done it could be cached (assuming the layout doesn't change), but the initial slowness to open isn't a trade off I'd make given that overall book progress and chapter page count is already there. One thing Kris could do is to determine the page count based on current formatting if you generate the word count of a book, but there's only so much development time and you have to pick your battles.
of course number of pages depends on font size, margin etc. thus for me "number of pages" is "number of displays with that settings". and I do not change this options from book to book. thus I can compare last book and present book. e.g. last book I have read has 400 pages and it seemed huge, the next book has 600 pages, and I can see that it book takes more time. is just an example
Old 11-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Apocalypto
Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apocalypto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaim View Post
of course number of pages depends on font size, margin etc. thus for me "number of pages" is "number of displays with that settings". and I do not change this options from book to book. thus I can compare last book and present book. e.g. last book I have read has 400 pages and it seemed huge, the next book has 600 pages, and I can see that it book takes more time. is just an example
You can get the same comparative information with word count.
Apocalypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
xaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypto View Post
You can get the same comparative information with word count.
Oh, you really helped me! Now I can see the size of the book! I did not know that Marvin can show count of words, but I found this item in metadata. Thanks
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
This is a confirmed future improvement for Marvin:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/184
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote