Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
kobo_sucks
kobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to beholdkobo_sucks is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
How to save an ePub passage/sentence/paragraph/quote for future reference.

Can someone tell me how I would be able to save
an interesting passage whilst reading ePub ebook within a Kobo Touch.
Do I need to save it into a folder within Kobo Touch?
And then I eventually would like to transfer it later to a laptop folder.

kobo_sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo don't have a way to save the annotations somewhere else. There are other ways to do it. Which is best depends on what you want.

Firstly, the firmware stores the annotations in the internal database. This is an SQLite database and the table is called "Bookmark". For purchased kepubs, Kobo syncs this with their server. Then it is synced back to other devices or the desktop app. For epubs and PDF stored in the main memory of the device, the annotations are also stored in a file. These are under the directory "Digital Editions\Annotations". The files have the extensions "ANNOT" and contain XML. All of the methods read the database. But, you can also look at the file if there is one for the book.

The methods I can think of are:

- Calibre has a "Fetch annotations" option. This copies the annotations for all books to the comments field of the book in the calibre library. The annotation is appended to whatever is already in the comments field.

- My Kobo Utilises plugin can display the annotations for the selected books in a window. It also has an option to backup the annotations files.

- MR user tshering has published a Windows tool that will display the annotations. A search here should find it.

- There have been some other scripts published to copy the annotations out to text files. Again, searching here should find them.

- Recent firmware have a hidden option to display a menu option to export the annotations for a book. The menu options is on the books menu in the library. It creates a text file with all the annotations for the book in the root directory of the device. To activate this, the following lines need to be in your "Kobo eReader.conf":
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExportHighlights=true
There might be some other methods, but I can't think of them at the moment.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
- Recent firmware have a hidden option to display a menu option to export the annotations for a book. The menu options is on the books menu in the library. It creates a text file with all the annotations for the book in the root directory of the device. To activate this, the following lines need to be in your "Kobo eReader.conf":
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExportHighlights=true
Just tried this, and it works great! Produces a plain-text file of JUST the highlights (no page numbers, no other stuff). Very useful -- thanks for the tip!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
SONOiO
SONOiO began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hello, I tried this and added the line within the Kobo ereader.conf but I can not find the menu item in Library-Books.
I have a Kobo Aura on 2.10 ...

Thanks, SONOiO
SONOiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A long press on a book in the library will open the menu for the book. The option is added to it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
saving sentences, saving text