Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
5GB compact flash card for $260

Well, sort of...

From Pocket PC addict:
Quote:
VR-Zone has posted a step by step tutorial on removing the 5GB ST1 Compact Flash card from the the new Creative MuVo² FM. This unit has started selling in Singapore for approximately US$260. No doubt that these will be flying off the shelf now that everyone knows that it really means US$260 for a 5GB CF card for their digital cameras and PPCs. Think about it, that's $52 a gigabyte.
In fact this is actually a small hard drive with a CF form factor. Pretty sweet. They must be planning to market it separately, or why use that shape? So I'm wildly speculating that CF may experience a resurgence in the form of mini hard drives.

Of course I don't have anything with a CF card, except my digital camera, and it has more than enough space with 256 meg. The Axim x30 that I just ordered has SD only. It seems that PPC manufacturers can't decide whether or not to stop supporting CF. Regardless, this would be a great way to turn your PDA into a low level iPod. And hardware hacking is such fun!!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
A CF slot is the one thing I'm really missing, though not too badly. It _would_ be nice to be able to get those peripherals and larger storage that are still much cheaper or sometimes still only available in CF format.

Craig.
Advert
Old 09-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
$52 a Gigabyte? Cheap?! Sheesh! Talk about financial rape!

I'll find MUCH cheaper solutions to deal with portability, and I'll adapt around that, thankyouverymuch. I refuse to let them get more of my hard earned cash than I have to.

And no, I'm not ripping on you, Ignatz. What you present is a heck of an idea. But those manufacturing and marketing that player and consequently, that CF Drive are screwing us with prices.

/shrug/ Prices will fall when they fall, I suppose.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Well, you are paying for all the electronics of the player, not just the CF drive. If (when?) they release the card on its own, the price is likely to be significantly less...
Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Samsung has just released its first cell phone with an integrated 1" harddisk. I think sooner or later harddisks will take over those cards, at least for base installations (cards can then be used to extend available space and stay portable).
Advert