Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Format for Numbers in Custom Column

I'm trying to make a custom column for numbers assigned to books (not series numbers). The numbers can range from 1-999. It appears "Integers" is the column type I need to use but I have no clue what to put in "Format for numbers". I need the column to be right aligned and would prefer not to have to use leading zeros for proper sorting.

I want the column to look like something like this before sorting (only right justified; the forum software wouldn't let me put in leading spaces to emulate right justification):

And something this after sorting (again, only right justified):

I tried to figure out the Python documentation but I might as well had been reading Sanskrit. Can anyone tell me what I need to put in the "Format for numbers" field?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-16-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you want it right-aligned on calibre's spreadsheet? if so, put nothing in the format. Instead. right-click on the column header, choose "Change text alignment ...", and select "Right".

Integer columns will sort numerically no matter how they are aligned.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lady F
The sort you show appears to be an Alpha sorted (text field): eg.

The only way a Text field will sort numerics is to use a leading character from the ASCII chart below Chr 48 (zero), Space being Chr 32
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, the justification issue is settled (that was a "duh!" moment). I discovered a problem with using an integer column. It sorts the numbers the way I want without the use of leading zeros (the leading zeros look junky and make reading a list of numbers harder) but, once I click on a row in the column, it will insert a zero and won't let me delete it. Same if if I put in a number in a row; I can't delete it. Adding insult to injury, if I, say, enter 112, then want to change it to 212, I would have to scroll thought every number between; it won't just let me highlight the number and change it.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ok, the justification issue is settled (that was a "duh!" moment). I discovered a problem with using an integer column. It sorts the numbers the way I want without the use of leading zeros (the leading zeros look junky and make reading a list of numbers harder) but, once I click on a row in the column, it will insert a zero and won't let me delete it. Same if if I put in a number in a row; I can't delete it. Adding insult to injury, if I, say, enter 112, then want to change it to 212, I would have to scroll thought every number between; it won't just let me highlight the number and change it.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?
If I click on a int cell and press F2 to edit it (I have turned off click-to-edit), I can type any number I want. If I hit escape, the editor closes without changing the cell, even if I had typed in it or even if it changed from empty to the initial zero. If when I click on the cell it contains, for example, 259, that number is selected and it is erased when I type something. If I am editing a cell and type Ctrl-A, all the contents are selected and the next thing I type overwrites it all. Are you saying that none of this works for you? Edit: I re-enabled click-to-edit and it behaves the same.

To return a cell to undefined, enter -100000 (negative one million).

Last edited by chaley; 09-16-2013 at 02:59 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Ok, I couldn't tell that pressing F2 did anything other than set there and laugh at me. For some reason, the field is now allowing me to highlight and change the number to another, even before I played with F2. I don't what caused it but I firmly believe in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Also, the -1000000 trick works for deleting an accidental entry; odd that but whatever works...

Thanks for all your help!