Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Amazon Publishing Announces the Launch of “Icons”

Amazon teams up with authors to bring a series of short biographies under the brand "Icons" to its library. Released on a bi-monthly basis, the first is set to be "Jesus" by Jay Parini and will be available in December.

http://www.pubexec.com/article/amazo...-launch-icons/

Quote:
"In a time when our fascination with the private aspects of public lives is so intense, it's not surprising that biography has become one of the most prominent forms of narrative nonfiction," said James Atlas. "Yet reading habits have changed dramatically in the digital age and I am excited to bring these short biographies to the Kindle platform."

The first ten books in the series are Jesus by Jay Parini, Stalin by Paul Johnson, Lucian Freud by Phoebe Hoban, J.D. Salinger by Thomas Beller, Poe by Paul Collins, Van Gogh by Julian Bell, Hemingway by Mark Kurlansky, David Lynch by Dennis Lim, Hannah Arendt by Anne Heller, and Hitchcock by Michael Wood.

"It seems appropriate to launch a series of short, thought-provoking biographies with a figure who has dominated our collective imagination and cultural iconography for over twenty centuries," said Jay Parini, author of Jesus. "This first book in the series will consider Jesus as the human face of god and dramatize the transformation from man to myth."

"We are thrilled to collaborate with James Atlas doing what he does best, and excited about the amazing authors that he's brought on board," said Ed Park.
image: The Last Judgement (cropped), Michelangelo

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-16-2013 at 04:57 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
This could turn out either to be really interesting or else the sh*t could really hit the fan, especially with Jesus and Stalin being in the first group of people profiled.

My first reaction, though, was "That's what we have Wikipedia for".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
This could turn out either to be really interesting or else the sh*t could really hit the fan, especially with Jesus and Stalin being in the first group of people profiled.
My thoughts!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Not sure I see the point, or the potential market. Wonder what the price is.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Well, if there's a market for this kind, I suppose it will be worthwhile.

But personally, I prefer to read biographies that are in-depth, and which are written by noted authorities on the subject. If I just want a factual overview of someone's life, I would read the Wikipedia article.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
"It seems appropriate to launch a series of short, thought-provoking biographies with a figure who has dominated our collective imagination and cultural iconography for over twenty centuries," said Jay Parini, author of Jesus. "This first book in the series will consider Jesus as the human face of god and dramatize the transformation from man to myth."

Probably not one for atheists then. That sentence is a bit contradictory - is Jesus the human face of God, is that just a myth?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post

Probably not one for atheists then. That sentence is a bit contradictory - is Jesus the human face of God, is that just a myth?
Whatever your religious leanings, there was a historical figure named Jesus of Nazareth around whom a very broad range of myths have sprung up. Some are religious canon to some, others are generally considered myth by most if not all.
(The DaVinci code, for one. )

As to the value of the line of bios itself, a lot will depend on the quality of scholarship they embody, the target audience, and the typical length. Comprehensive bios can run hundreds and thousand of pages so these "short" bios could end up being novella-length or bigger.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Short biographies = Wikipedia
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
See, I would buy them. Wikipedia is not allowed as a source by most professors, so this would easily be your next bet without having to read a 500-page book if they really are brief. Would be nice if they were less than $10.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
They could be beautifully written from a fresh perspective. That would have to be better than reading a wiki entry.

It's about the writing surely.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
They could be beautifully written from a fresh perspective. That would have to be better than reading a wiki entry.

It's about the writing surely.
Quality sells.
I'd wait for the first few releases before writing them off.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I'd actually be interested in the Stalin one, he seems like he would have an interesting biography....albeit he is probably the most evil man who ever lived.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I'd actually be interested in the Stalin one, he seems like he would have an interesting biography....albeit he is probably the most evil man who ever lived.
On the short list.
But it is a strongly contested title with a lot of candidates.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My mind went off on a completely different tangent. I was thinking of a different sort of 'icon' altogether and perplexed how biographies fitted in!
Oh dear, time for a reality check...and mine has gone missing.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
When I was young my grandparents had literally 100's of Readers Digest books, each of which contained several books in condensed form.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out that condensed meant I was not getting the whole book, but up to the time I enjoyed them. I was pretty around thirteen when I read a book the I had previously read in Readers Digest book and I found it a lot better.

Still many people liked the Readers Digest books because they were condensed.

Even today, I might go for the smaller Bio after Wikipedia, and then get something more in depth if I was still interested. An example would be Rex Stout who kind of fascinates me from reading short book inserts, but I am not interested enough to pay $110 for a biography. And stupid of me I know, because even if I bought a second hand copy for under $5.00 a $110 book intimidates me. (perhaps I should look for a library copy

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote