Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-31-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
What RSS reader do you use?

Okay, since we began talking about RSS here several months have passed. I'm curious what people have settled on for readers. I've been using Firefox's RSS and then Sage readers, but now I've got an appetite for something that will alert me to new entries, like FeedReader. But I'm open to other avenues. So tell me: what RSS reader do you use?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use fastbuzz because I like the browser interface.
And MobileRSS for my Palm RSS reading.

Oh.... no notification from these, but I don't have that itch yet. I like to browse lots of news whenever I get the time.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I use FeedDemon. While there are tons of OSS/freeware feed readers out there, I still thought that the 30 euro for the license was well worth it. (No connection to Nick Bradbury, just a very satisfied customer.)

Away from the laptop, I use my own viewer for newsfeed reading on my Palm.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
A wide selection

Take your pick, there are a LOT of rss readers out there. I prefer Straw, but thats because it runs on my iPAQ and my desktop/servers, so I don't have to relearn a new interface depending on where I'm reading it.

Of course, I also read my RSS in Plucker, using some of my own Perl-based conversion tools (a bit "smarter" than the current ones out there that try to convert RSS to HTML for mobile reading).

In fact, I just added RSS support to the Plucker Email Reflector last night. It took me about 3 minutes to add and test. Perl makes all of this remarkably easy.

The Plucker Email Reflector allows you to use Plucker through email only, for those who do not have all of the required packages and tools installed, or who want to use Plucker on a platform that does not natively support Plucker. In fact, this is the first tool of its kind like this. No other reader has this capability.

Personally, I don't get the draw (fad?) to RSS feeds, but other people want them, so I dropped in support for them.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:27 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Laurens I second that. On Windows platforms, Nick's FeedDemon is the most intutitive and stable RSS reader I've tried (and I've tried a lot of them).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow, I downloaded FeedDemon this morning and you guys are right, it rules. I was hoping for a free solution to this problem, but FeedDemon seems to beat them all. Might have to break down and shell out for it.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Fastbuzz. I switch computers alot, so it's nice to have something web-based that you don't have to constantly install/reprogram.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Hey All,

How about for mac? Preferably Mac Os 9?
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I use NewsMac for OS X.

I'm not all super-duper RSS-y, but I do like NewsMac, especially for the "Sync PDA" feature using iSiloXC. It takes a while to convert my 54 channels on my old iMac DV 400mhz G3, but it's a nice option to having to create all those channels in iSilo.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:11 AM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've only just started playing with RSS, and not on my PC at all. I've installed RSSSync on my ipaq, which works nicely. I just wish there was a little more info for each entry before requiring you to go online to read the rest.

I'd like to use Mobipocket Reader to try reading some RSS feeds, but I'm not keen on having to register the reader _and_ the enews creator software (seems like I'm being stung twice.... all my other software of this sort requires you to register the reader _or_ the creation software, not _both_)

I must try some of the other readers mentioned above on my PC....

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:41 AM   #11
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
You don't need to register Mobipocket Reader Pro to read eNews ! And the eNews Creator is used only to create your own channels.
If you subscribe to existing channels, you don't need to pay anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
I've only just started playing with RSS, and not on my PC at all. I've installed RSSSync on my ipaq, which works nicely. I just wish there was a little more info for each entry before requiring you to go online to read the rest.

I'd like to use Mobipocket Reader to try reading some RSS feeds, but I'm not keen on having to register the reader _and_ the enews creator software (seems like I'm being stung twice.... all my other software of this sort requires you to register the reader _or_ the creation software, not _both_)

I must try some of the other readers mentioned above on my PC....

Craig.
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:57 AM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobipocket
You don't need to register Mobipocket Reader Pro to read eNews ! And the eNews Creator is used only to create your own channels.
If you subscribe to existing channels, you don't need to pay anything.
True, I already use Mobi reader to read a lot of enews (especially as isilox won't work through my firewall at work but the Mobi Web Companion does

There are a lot of RSS feeds out there that haven't had enews channels created for them yet. While I think Mobi reader is very good value (and have registered it), I can't justify paying more for a util to create news channels for me (especially when isilox does it for nothing, though to be fair, it can't handle RSS). Being in Australia only increases the cost, and I have a boss, er, I mean wife to answer to when I want to spend money on me "hobbies"

Of course this is all just my personal opinion, and prone to change at any moment!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #13
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
Palm: Hand/RSS
MacOS X: Built-in RSS feature of OmniWeb 5.0. Make sure you add your RSS feeds in a folder on the favorites bar so you can right-click to check for new content or mark all as read. The best way to fly is having Web-browser and RSS working in unison as one app.
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #14
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
And you can also do that with Firefox and Mozilla as well, which looks a LOT nicer than OmniWeb's version. You can see some samples over here.
"Sage is a lightweight RSS and ATOM feed aggregator extension for Mozilla Firefox. It's got a lot of what you need and not much of what you don't."

hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:51 AM   #15
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Web RSS Reader

Try Web RSS Reader - http://rss.plech.net (<a href="http://rss.plech.net">http://rss.plech.net </a>) it's my favourite one.