Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The End of the Small Screen?

First, a word of apology. You see Ray Bradbury’s works finally came out in eBook format, that’s One. Two, Amazon, and only Amazon, had an “Opening Day” sort of sale on Ray Bradbury books: $1.99. Obviously since all I have this week is $2.39, my problem was: which one. (I bought Something Wicked This Way Comes.)

But the point of this post is that having bought it at Amazon I didn’t have it on my Kobo Aura, and when I opened up the Paperwhite to download my new book I received an almost palpable shock. I had set my beloved Aura aside for what? Apparently I’d forgotten how small a six-inch screen actually is. Was it worth saving $4 and change to read a favored book on this cramped screen?

Then I realized that the race is on. Surely Amazon has to answer the Aura’s challenge. They always announce the next model in late summer, so it should be soon. I think they will have to offer a bigger eInk screen, something that can even display newspaper pages for example--something with better formatting. Now I can’t wait to discover what Amazon will do.

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-12-2013 at 11:48 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm hoping Amazon will come out with a 5" screen. I want an ereader that will fit in my shirt pocket.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Six inch readers are not going anywhere any time soon.
I would welcome an 8in HD eInk reader but the mainstream market has shown little appetite for anything but 6in models.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo's Mini is the right size. It's smaller than the PRS350 or the Astak Pocket Pro, but it's crippled with an unlighted Vizplex screen. A lot of people are watching for a front-lighted version.

Amazon could do it.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
6" seems to be a pretty good compromise for all sorts of purposes and preferences. It's portable, but still displays quite a bit of text even at slightly larger font sizes, and a 6" device is fairly light, so it can still be held comfortably in one hand. Much bigger and heavier than the Glo, and I could just use a tablet (I prefer e-ink, but size, weight and extremely low battery consumption are also reasons why I read on an e-ink device).

The 6" displays also allow for a device to be in the current price regions of €120 and below. Larger displays cost more and get closer to the prices of the more powerful tablets. The relatively low price of 6" e-ink devices is one of their stronger selling points. Hardcore e-ink fans, which includes many of us here, wouldn't mind paying twice that to get what they prefer, but I don't think the market as a whole is as accepting. A bigger screen also requires a better processor and more RAM, as otherwise pages start to appear more slowly.

The Pyrus mini is only 4.3" and I find it actually more comfortable for reading in bed (laying on my back) than the 6" Glo, but it doesn't have front lights. I'd buy a sub-6" reader with buttons and lights without hesitation. There are probably more people who would get a bigger-than-6" reader than one that's smaller, but I feel that 6" might be the size that makes a solid happy medium.

That said, I like gadgets and would probably consider a reader with a larger display too, but 6.8" (I think that's what the Aura has) isn't enough of a difference for me. 9.7" and we're talking! There were some 8" ones in the past, but that format seems to have fallen out of favor.

Last edited by Mivo; 08-12-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
First, a word of apology. You see Ray Bradbury’s works finally came out in eBook format, that’s One. Two, Amazon, and only Amazon, had an “Opening Day” sort of sale on Ray Bradbury books: $1.99. Obviously since all I have this week is $2.39, my problem was: which one. (I bought Something Evil This Way Comes.)
Is the sale over, or is there a special way to access it, since I'm not seeing anything close to that $2 price tag?

On screen size, I've adapted to the Aura too so 6" screens feel small. I suspect that it will be fine for most users though.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
6" seems to be a pretty good compromise for all sorts of purposes and preferences. It's portable, but still displays quite a bit of text even at slightly larger font sizes, and a 6" device is fairly light, so it can still be held comfortably in one hand. Much bigger and heavier than the Glo, and I could just use a tablet (I prefer e-ink, but size, weight and extremely low battery consumption are also reasons why I read on an e-ink device).

The 6" displays also allow for a device to be in the current price regions of €120 and below. Larger displays cost more and get closer to the prices of the more powerful tablets. The relatively low price of 6" e-ink devices is one of their stronger selling points. Hardcore e-ink fans, which includes many of us here, wouldn't mind paying twice that to get what they prefer, but I don't think the market as a whole is as accepting. A bigger screen also requires a better processor and more RAM, as otherwise pages start to appear more slowly.

The Pyrus mini is only 4.3" and I find it actually more comfortable for reading in bed (laying on my back) than the 6" Glo, but it doesn't have front lights. I'd buy a sub-6" reader with buttons and lights without hesitation. There are probably more people who would get a bigger-than-6" reader than one that's smaller, but I feel that 6" might be the size that makes a solid medium.
I agree with all the great reasons you've listed. I have a kobo mini, and the difference the loss of just one inch makes is quite striking. Going much bigger than the current 6" could add weight and a force it into a two-hander - at least for those of us with smaller hands. (The mini kobo is great though, for certain situations)
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
6charlong
friendly lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Is the sale over, or is there a special way to access it, since I'm not seeing anything close to that $2 price tag?

On screen size, I've adapted to the Aura too so 6" screens feel small. I suspect that it will be fine for most users though.
I was fooling around on Woot.com and discovered the sale quite by accident at 9:30 last night. It ended at midnight Pacific Daylight Time.

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-12-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
That sale was soooo yesterday.

Quote:
I've never had a bigger screen, but I still want one. At $170, the Aura is much more reasonable than the Kindle DX was. If Amazon will put out a similar model, I'll definitely hope to get one.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read on my Galaxy Note - 5.3" diagonal screen. Light and easy to handle and easy to read.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Mostly I read on my mini or T1. I tried again reading on my Aura a couple of days ago I was just getting used to it when the pages started turning backwards consistently. Turned it off and on and they went forward again.

Happened again this afternoon. Had to turn it off a couple of times before it went forward again. Possibly caused by my setting a margin in the reader (I am happier with shorter lines on the Aura for some reason)

Wish the cool features Kobo boasts actually worked

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm hoping Amazon will come out with a 5" screen. I want an ereader that will fit in my shirt pocket.
agreed

I began wearing these again to carry my mobile stuff:

Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
I think the Aura is the perfect size, 6" feels small after using it. 5" feels positively tiny! Now that there are nice sharp screens like the Aura available, I don't feel such a strong need for my Sony 350 other than ebook testing. I hardly ever read on it any more.

There's something about that 6.8" screen, it just feels more like a book, without being too bulky or heavy to be comfortable using the reader. Size is so close to my Sony T1 in lighted cover as to be a negligible difference. No difference to how it fits in my bag.

I'm not convinced Amazon will feel the need to do something similar though. They already have a larger e-ink reader and sure have not been updating that.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've been reading on my Paperwhite in landscape orientation for a number of weeks now. The text justification is much better and line length is more like a real book. Might be just a phase I'm going through, but it feels a little less cramped this way (and I use a fairly small text size).

That said, I would prefer more control over the margins than the stock firmware allows (and unfortunately the Kindle apps waste a lot of space in margins too), and if they can squeeze a 7" screen into a same-sized device I'll be interested.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
I'm not a novel reader but I do have lots of computer e-books and 6" is just too small for me. I tried reading on my Xperia Z a couple of times and it just doesn't feel good. I wish either Kobo, Sony or even Amazon will come out with bigger screen, 9.7" and above and hopefully, color e-ink with front-light.

I'm actually looking forward to check out Sony's 13.3" e-reader when I visit Japan next year. Front-light will be even more awesome.

I have been waiting for a long time to own an e-reader. Hope manufacturers don't disappoint us.

Last edited by DStyle; 08-13-2013 at 05:35 AM.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote