Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ectaco caught using MobileRead to create fake buzz about Jetbook

We're a bit heavy-hearted to report the news, but recently it was discovered by one of our vigilant members that someone, or several people, employed by, or affiliated with, Ectaco used sock puppets in our forums. Posing as regular consumers, these sock puppets were used to create phony grassroots support for Ectaco products, specifically for the Jetbook device. Not just recently, but for several years.

We pride ourselves on being an open and welcoming community. Everyone is invited to join the discussions, whether in an official capacity or otherwise. Full disclosure is not a requirement, as long as you don't attempt to distort the views in our forums, either by pretending to be a delighted customer of your own brand, or by pretending to be a disgruntled user of a competing product. This would be considered astroturfing, which is designed to counteract real opinions and confuse anyone seeking the truth. Astroturfers will be banned without notice.

Ectaco sock puppets were identified through having identical IP addresses registered to Ectaco, Inc. We tried to reach out to the company directly on the issue, but received no response.

The moral of the story: If you're having trouble energizing a legitimate set of brand evangelists, don't attempt to disguise false engagement by having employees or affiliates pretend to be customers. It will most certainly be found out.

[image: Flickr]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sad to see.
But good to see some policing against shills.

If only the mainstream media had similar watchdogs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Its a shame. I had the original Jetbook, it was a good reader, if a bit less durable than I might have liked. It doesn't appear having shills here did them a whole lot of good since they are not really a player in the ebook reader market anymore.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Its a shame. I had the original Jetbook, it was a good reader, if a bit less durable than I might have liked. It doesn't appear having shills here did them a whole lot of good since they are not really a player in the ebook reader market anymore.
So true, I still have my JB lite, and would buy a e-ink reader using the Jetbook FW .

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Good to see this. There should be only honest discussions on forums such as this.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Now it makes me question the device more than I already did. I've heard some good things about it over the last few years (all here, of course) that made me wonder if I should just pick one up to play with... now, not so much.

Any chance you're willing to tell us the usernames of those who were doing this?

Edit: nevermind... easy enough to find myself.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-25-2013 at 03:01 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
That's bad. Really evil.

Good you found out. I'm so glad that I have Kobo. Kobo would never do anything like that.

I won't buy a Jetbook now, even if it's the only Ebook in the world. I'll say: Nooo, I don't want you, go away, Jetbook!

LG manfred63
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I find it a little bit sad that the moderators had to act like they had to act. Yes, they made a big and perhaps unforgivable mistake but they too have been long time and very active members here who definitely made this forum more lively. I "know" Kris777 mostly from his announcements in the News forum and from them it was clear that he has at least a tight connection to Ectaco.
Maybe only the active posters in the Ectaco subforum can tell if they feel cheated or if they knew how to take the posts by Kris and LuBiB.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think I'm a little more taken aback by MR apparently investigating posters to find this connection. I have a JBL and have said good things about it; did someone go delving into my background too?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think I'm a little more taken aback by MR apparently investigating posters to find this connection. I have a JBL and have said good things about it; did someone go delving into my background too?
Probably not.

To me, the timeline is this:
1) A few specific users were reported as being Ectaco employees or having suspiciously close ties to Ectaco. This was reported in another thread here in MR.
2) Those users were investigated by mods.

I can't imagine this was some kind of widespread investigation - the original report was done by another forum user, and the astroturfers were here for a long time, so obviously MR mods aren't making a general habit of stalking users.

EDIT: Here is the thread that started the investigation (as far as I know): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217715
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If Jetbooks are really good, then why do Jotbook employees do such things? There is no logic behind that. If they are good, employees should stay out of internet forums. Lucky customers will tell, everything is fine then.

If they are bad then you need to send spammers.

LG manfred63
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred63 View Post
If Jetbooks are really good, then why do Jotbook employees do such things? There is no logic behind that. If they are good, employees should stay out of internet forums. Lucky customers will tell, everything is fine then.
I'm not defending Etacto employees for what they did, but you can't make the assumption that a good product means that you'll have good sales. Likewise, you can't make the assumption that deceptive marking practices means that the product is poor. Companies like Amazon and Kobo have a dominant position in the market because they had easier access to the market, rather than because of the quality of their product.

Like I said: I'm not defending Etacto for astroturfing and I'm not going to claim that they sell good products (because I've never used them). But there is a certain logic behind what they did, even if it is deceptive. They were simply trying to create some positive buzz in order to sell a product that doesn't have much visibility in the market.

Incidentally, Kobo staff do come to these forums. As far as I know, they're all open about their association with Kobo. Yet they do use this place to announce new products, firmware, etc..
Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, it has not been necessary at all. Onyx and Pocketbook representatives are active here too, but they do it openly, without any disguise, everybody knows who they are.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Probably not.

To me, the timeline is this:
1) A few specific users were reported as being Ectaco employees or having suspiciously close ties to Ectaco. This was reported in another thread here in MR.
2) Those users were investigated by mods.

I can't imagine this was some kind of widespread investigation - the original report was done by another forum user, and the astroturfers were here for a long time, so obviously MR mods aren't making a general habit of stalking users.

EDIT: Here is the thread that started the investigation (as far as I know): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217715
That's pretty much what happened, yes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
All forums I have been on sometimes investigate some users sometimes. This is especially the case in banned and suspended members who frequently T-word the forum or specific users. They will check IPs and such, but if you're considerate of others, up-front with your affiliations and honest in your dealings it is doubtful any forum would ever investigate you.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote