Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Kobo Extended driver use suprise

I have to admit that when a plugin that comes out for calibre is introduced I am very leary to use it in relation to the Kobo Devices. However I have started using the the extended driver for the glo with calibre on a very limited basis. I started by transferring one book over and seeing the results. The result was a very pleasant surprise. I am just using it to convert to the kepub format and although I don't like the page number format of the way the books are displayed pages by chapter I do like the stats and the other features that are enabled with the kepub format. I am up to transferring 65 to 100 epubs at a time with no ill effect. Although they are not going exactly where I wish them to go on my sd card I have a directory that I store all my ebooks in. Its a minor detail to cut and paste them to the correct directory on my ereader. It would also be nice to save kepubs directly to the hdd on my computer with out transferring to the book, but the ability to save the converted kepubs to a named directory on the computer helps to mitigate this issue somewhat. While not ideal, (it dumps all kepubs no directory format to the named directory on the hdd) its a small matter to scoop the Kepubs and cut then paste them to a an author named directory. Although the plugin does save the kepubs similar to the calibre format on the ereader.

I guess On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give this plugin a rather suprising rating of 9.5, I had the driver crash twice but no ill effect to the ereader and was able to recover no problem.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I guess On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give this plugin a rather suprising rating of 9.5, I had the driver crash twice but no ill effect to the ereader and was able to recover no problem.
welcome to the kepub fan club
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Be careful, the extended plugin, while it may be useful, is perhaps the most dangerous plugin out there. it can play with your Kobo data base and you run the risk of servere corruption leading to many hours of frustration.

Also, please excuse the plagiarism in the above post.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Although they are not going exactly where I wish them to go on my sd card I have a directory that I store all my ebooks in. Its a minor detail to cut and paste them to the correct directory on my ereader.
As the extended driver just passes the modified file to the main driver for the copy, I'm interested in any errors like this. How is it putting them in the wrong place? Have you configured the save template in the driver configuration?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I noted that the kepubs send to the device are named as is in the configurations in the save template field {authors}_{series} {series_index}_{title} but the ones that are send to the directory are named {title}_{authors}, shouldn’t they be named the same way? It would make the process off separating the books and putting them in separate directories so much easier.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As the extended driver just passes the modified file to the main driver for the copy, I'm interested in any errors like this. How is it putting them in the wrong place? Have you configured the save template in the driver configuration?
Not absolutely certain but when I played with the extended driver and used it's save to disk, it saved all the files in a single directory after converting them to kepub. I suspect that this is done before sending the kepubs to the device.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I noted that the kepubs send to the device are named as is in the configurations in the save template field {authors}_{series} {series_index}_{title} but the ones that are send to the directory are named {title}_{authors}, shouldn’t they be named the same way? It would make the process off separating the books and putting them in separate directories so much easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not absolutely certain but when I played with the extended driver and used it's save to disk, it saved all the files in a single directory after converting them to kepub. I suspect that this is done before sending the kepubs to the device.
Yes, the save to disk option uses one directory and I hadn't noticed the file name. If someone wants to suggest using the save template within that directory, that might be a good idea. But...

Jack said "not going exactly where I wish them to go on my sd card". That sounds like he is talking about the copy that goes on the device. So, either a bug in the copy, or the save template is not what he wants.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Jack said "not going exactly where I wish them to go on my sd card". That sounds like he is talking about the copy that goes on the device. So, either a bug in the copy, or the save template is not what he wants.
When I was playing with the driver, I added a subdirectory name to the save template so when I saved to the internal storage, it didn't clog up the root directory. For some reason, I had the impression that this was what he was trying to do.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I was playing with the driver, I added a subdirectory name to the save template so when I saved to the internal storage, it didn't clog up the root directory. For some reason, I had the impression that this was what he was trying to do.

Regards,
David
Sorry for not replying sooner. Ok so that's basically what I mean. But when I save books to computer save to disk Calibre automatically saves author/book title. That's basically How I want things to go via the extended driver. If there is a way to do this it would be great. I am still not sure how to configure things so that this happens. I don't quite get how to accomplish this. Can you advise?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering if Calibre does, or could in the future backup the Kobo database(s) in case of corruption/firmware fiddling/device replacement. I know that isn't its main function, but it's a pain losing reading stats/bookmarks/etc for side loaded books.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering if Calibre does, or could in the future backup the Kobo database(s) in case of corruption/firmware fiddling/device replacement. I know that isn't its main function, but it's a pain losing reading stats/bookmarks/etc for side loaded books.
Get the Kobo Utilities plugin. Backing up the Kobo DB is one of its functions.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Check out the Kobo Utility plugin; it has a backup option (and also separate options to backup the reading status of material; ie where you are in a book).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
not sure about Calibre, but you can save your database file and replace it for a corrupt one should this ever happen to you. Of course, you should back it up regularly.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry for not replying sooner. Ok so that's basically what I mean. But when I save books to computer save to disk Calibre automatically saves author/book title. That's basically How I want things to go via the extended driver. If there is a way to do this it would be great. I am still not sure how to configure things so that this happens. I don't quite get how to accomplish this. Can you advise?
The save template in the driver configuration defines the filename to be used when putting the book on the device. I use:

Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Which puts the book in a subdirectory created from the author sort field. And names the file using the title and authors. Calibres "Save to disk" is also configured using a template. The same one should work in both places.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The save template in the driver configuration defines the filename to be used when putting the book on the device. I use:

Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Which puts the book in a subdirectory created from the author sort field. And names the file using the title and authors. Calibres "Save to disk" is also configured using a template. The same one should work in both places.
I got a little confused with what to change in preferences...

I think you want to use:

Preferences - Advanced - Plugins -> Device Interface plugins -> KoboTouchExtended -> "Save Template"

NOT

Preferences - Import/Export - Sending Books to devices -> Save Template

Sorry if this obvious or has already been said.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote