Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
ciscopixie
Enthusiast
ciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPhone SE
Glo Won't Connect Wirelessly to Calibre

So I've connected my Glo to my wi-fi network, and Calibre is on and the content server is running, but when I use the web browser on my Glo and type in the IP address and the port [iport], it does absolutely nothing have I missed something?

My tablet and phone seem to connect flawlessly, but my Glo point-blank refuses.

Any help would be appreciated!
ciscopixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopixie View Post
So I've connected my Glo to my wi-fi network, and Calibre is on and the content server is running, but when I use the web browser on my Glo and type in the IP address and the port [iport], it does absolutely nothing have I missed something?

Which firmware version is your Glo running? On older firmware versions I needed to enter the "http://" explicitly, e.g. I had to use "http://tpad:8080" to connect to Calibre on my laptop. But on the latest firmware that is not necessary, I can just enter "tpad:8080".
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
ciscopixie
Enthusiast
ciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Which firmware version is your Glo running? On older firmware versions I needed to enter the "http://" explicitly, e.g. I had to use "http://tpad:8080" to connect to Calibre on my laptop. But on the latest firmware that is not necessary, I can just enter "tpad:8080".
Hi GeoffR,

I'm running 2.5.2 I've tried it both ways. I *could* connect to Dropbox and just add it there, but I don't really want to
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I'm running 2.5.2 I've tried it both ways. I *could* connect to Dropbox and just add it there, but I don't really want to
Sorry I can't help then, it just worked for me out of the box, I didn't make any changes to either Calibre or the Glo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
ciscopixie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Sorry I can't help then, it just worked for me out of the box, I didn't make any changes to either Calibre or the Glo.
LOL! That's okay I'm sure I'll figure it out [or someone else might]
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Have you tried to connect via ip address of your main computer? I would also check to see what port your actually running Calibre on. Sometimes its just a matter of telling your firewall software to allow the two way communications from your kobo to the computer. As well as allowing for two way communications from the calibre server as well. I had to change my port to one that did not conflict with my Tivo Server for example.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Do the calibre server logs show anything? Preferences | Sharing over the net | View server logs?

Mine show:
192.168.2.189 - - [06/Jun/2013:18:59:29] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 15487 "" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 (Kobo Touch)"
192.168.2.189 - - [06/Jun/2013:18:59:29] "GET /mobile/style.css HTTP/1.1" 200 1758 "http://192.168.2.177:8080/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 (Kobo Touch)"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
ciscopixie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do the calibre server logs show anything? Preferences | Sharing over the net | View server logs?

Mine show:
192.168.2.189 - - [06/Jun/2013:18:59:29] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 15487 "" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 (Kobo Touch)"
192.168.2.189 - - [06/Jun/2013:18:59:29] "GET /mobile/style.css HTTP/1.1" 200 1758 "http://192.168.2.177:8080/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0; en-us AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 (Kobo Touch)"
Okay, so I've had a look at my log and there's no mention of my Kobo even trying to connect, but there is logs of my phone connecting flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Have you tried to connect via ip address of your main computer? I would also check to see what port your actually running Calibre on. Sometimes its just a matter of telling your firewall software to allow the two way communications from your kobo to the computer. As well as allowing for two way communications from the calibre server as well. I had to change my port to one that did not conflict with my Tivo Server for example.

Regards

Jack
I checked and double-checked that there's public and private access to Calibre and that there's no issues with the firewall.

It's quite frustrating. The Glo will browse the Internet, but as soon as I put in the IP to connect to the Calibre server, it's like it won't even go there. To elaborate, I'd type this into the address bar: 192.168.0.107:8086 [yes, i use 8086 because other ports are in use ] and press "go".. then it goes back to the Google page without loading anything erm...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried adding the http:// prefix, ie http://192.168.0.107:8086 ?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
ciscopixie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you tried adding the http:// prefix, ie http://192.168.0.107:8086 ?
done that too Strangely, when I first got my Kobo in the beginning of the year, it connected once [and only once] to the server. Now it refuses [must be female.. 'tis picky!]
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

When your browser is up, can you ping the IP address of the Kobo from your PC? Often the easiest way to find the Kobo's IP address is from your router that has assigned the address to it.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
ciscopixie
Enthusiast

Quote:
When your browser is up, can you ping the IP address of the Kobo from your PC? Often the easiest way to find the Kobo's IP address is from your router that has assigned the address to it.
After hitting my head repeatedly against the wall regarding pinging I found the Kobo's IP in the device information settings on the Kobo and tried to ping it from my PC. And.... destination host unreachable [insert brick wall here]

At the risk of looking like a newbie and attracting a few laughs, how do I make it "reachable"?
Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
ciscopixie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall?
Yup, I've done this too and no joy...
Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
ciscopixie
Enthusiast

FINALLY! Okay I found the issue.. I'm running Windows 7 and under the "Advanced Sharing" section of the network lists an option called "File and Printer Sharing" which was disabled. By enabling this, I can connect to my server via my Kobo

Thank you everyone for your contributions.. another reason I love this forum

Tags
calibre, glo, wireless