Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
adrenaline
Enthusiast
adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, KPW2
Calibre 0.9.29 Unhandled exception: [Error -2147221164] Class not registered

Hello,

For some reason, I've been getting this error message whenever I try to open the book folder by clicking on "Click to open" 'Path' link in the side panel.

I tried to install the latest version .32 but the installation fails and gets rolled back.

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.29
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>WindowsError</b>:[Error -2147221164] Class not registered: u'C:\\Users\\Selva\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Andrew Sobel\\Power Questions (1176)'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 194, in view_folder_for_id
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 977, in open_local_file
WindowsError: [Error -2147221164] Class not registered: u'C:\\Users\\Selva\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Andrew Sobel\\Power Questions (1176)'
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You are 2+ versions old.
Try doing an update first to see if that was caught and fixed (or your install was corrupted)

ALSO, you might run checkdisk. You might have a drive error.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
adrenaline
Enthusiast
adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.adrenaline solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Thanks for the quick response, theducks.

I tried installing the latest update but it won't complete the installation and instead rolls back.

Thanks, I just ran chkdsk:

Code:
C:\Users\Selva>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  328704 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  634 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.
  2 EA records processed.
  76 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  414966 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.
  0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)..
  328704 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  43132 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  34131936 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems

488282111 KB total disk space.
 446852028 KB in 250177 files.
    153144 KB in 43133 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    459051 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  40817888 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 122070527 total allocation units on disk.
  10204472 allocation units available on disk.

Last edited by adrenaline; 05-24-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news: No disk problems

Try uninstalling.
Then disable your A/V and install (use only official sources) again
Old 05-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
adrenaline
Enthusiast

Thanks again, theducks.

Once I uninstall and install the latest update, I'm not really sure about importing my books. Read quite a bit but still confused

If possible, could you please point me towards the easiest/most recent method to do so? Really don't wanna mess up my existing collection.

Thanks so very much.
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Thanks again, theducks.

Once I uninstall and install the latest update, I'm not really sure about importing my books. Read quite a bit but still confused

If possible, could you please point me towards the easiest/most recent method to do so? Really don't wanna mess up my existing collection.

Thanks so very much.
All existing books in your Calibre Library should still be there. The (re)installation should have recognized the old settings and shown the existing Library.

Use the OS to search for 'metadata.db. If you have more than 1, you have more than 1 Library in the works.
Report your findings an we can proceed based upon the results.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
adrenaline
Enthusiast

Thanks td.

Yeah, I just have only one metadata.db

So, can I proceed to uninstall and install the latest update?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Really don't wanna mess up my existing collection.
So... back up your libraries, along with the configuration folder (which is probably at C:\\Users\\Selva\\Appdata\\Roaming\\calibre) before you start 'messing around'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

are you running Calibre Portable?
There is a required folder structure (and it requires full rights for the entire path).
It must start there.
Since you only found 1 metadata.db there is only one there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CportableTree.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	106228  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
adrenaline
Enthusiast

Thanks BetterRed and td.

BR: Sure, I'll double check my backups. Thanks.

td: I'm using the regular one.. (Not portable)

Last edited by adrenaline; 05-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
are you running Calibre Portable?
There is a required folder structure (and it requires full rights for the entire path).
It must start there.
Since you only found 1 metadata.db there is only one there
@theducks : That line above metadata had me wondering too - but I also have that file in Program Files (X86)/Calbre2/resources - along with others with the same Mod date, and I see the same files in my Calibre Portable program folder

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	106229  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks : That line above metadata had me wondering too - but I also have that file in Program Files (X86)/Calbre2/resources - along with others with the same Mod date, and I see the same files in my Calibre Portable program folder

BR
Hidden extensions: dot Bat.
I don't allow that. Never have

I was expecting the results for a filename search of 'Metadata.db', not a word search .
When I do the search in XP, I only find 3 of the specified file (the ones on connected drives: testlib,working_lib and a backup copy)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Hidden extensions: dot Bat.
I don't allow that. Never have
And I have always done the opposite - since Burroughs MCP at least - that's why I don't use Windows Obscurer as a file manager.

Quote:
I was expecting the results for a filename search of 'Metadata.db', not a word search .
When I do the search in XP, I only find 3 of the specified file (the ones on connected drives: testlib,working_lib and a backup copy)
The OP did exactly as you asked him/her to do "Use the OS to search for 'metadata.db.

That batch file is riddled with string "metadata.db" eg :-

Code:
IF EXIST %cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db (
	IF NOT "%CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY%" == "%cd%\CalibreMetadata" (
		SET CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH=%cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db
		ECHO DATABASE:           %cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db
		ECHO '
		ECHO ***CAUTION*** Library Switching will be disabled 
		ECHO '
	)
)
Windows hasn't had a decent file finder since that silly dog showed up. I'm still using Locate 32.

BR
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
And I have always done the opposite - since Burroughs MCP at least - that's why I don't use Windows Obscurer as a file manager.

The OP did exactly as you asked him/her to do "Use the OS to search for 'metadata.db.

That batch file is riddled with string "metadata.db" eg :-

Code:
IF EXIST %cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db (
	IF NOT "%CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY%" == "%cd%\CalibreMetadata" (
		SET CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH=%cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db
		ECHO DATABASE:           %cd%\CalibreMetadata\metadata.db
		ECHO '
		ECHO ***CAUTION*** Library Switching will be disabled 
		ECHO '
	)
)
Windows hasn't had a decent file finder since that silly dog showed up. I'm still using Locate 32.

BR
I Must have the 'advanced search' as my default:
There are 3 boxes you can fill:
All or part of a file name:
A word or phrase in the File (this must be the basic default)
Look in (drive or folder chooser)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
adrenaline
Enthusiast

The last few messages are way over my head

Just to confirm, if I'm using regular, non-portable Calibre, the "Calibre Library" (C:\Users\Selva\Documents\Calibre Library) will automatically be imported into the new installation, right?

I also made a backup of the above folder and C:\Users\Selva\AppData\Roaming\calibre as suggested by BR.

Am I all set to uninstall and re-install? Is there anything that I should be aware of, before proceeding?

Please advise wugac.. Thanks so much both of you.

Last edited by adrenaline; 05-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.