Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
degree6
degree6 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Seeing file names?

I tried to use Calibre last year, but gave up as it was the only piece of software that I had ever worked with that hid the file name, so I had no idea what I was working with other than counting the order of files and comparing it to file order out in Windows folders. I was told then to learn to live with having no file names or any indication of what book file I was working with, because that wasn't important

I'd like to consider uaing Calibre again, and was wondering if there has been a fix/change or paradigm shift so file names will appear in the listings of books.
degree6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by degree6 View Post
I tried to use Calibre last year, but gave up as it was the only piece of software that I had ever worked with that hid the file name, so I had no idea what I was working with other than counting the order of files and comparing it to file order out in Windows folders. I was told then to learn to live with having no file names or any indication of what book file I was working with, because that wasn't important

I'd like to consider uaing Calibre again, and was wondering if there has been a fix/change or paradigm shift so file names will appear in the listings of books.
Nope:

You are working with books, not files.
Calibre delivers Books via the interface without you ever needing to know the file name of actual location.

For those special case activities (extreme care (do nothin that affects the name or location) suggested),: there are 2 built in commands: T and O
In addition, there is the Open With plugin that shortcuts an 'O' usage by sending the file to the configured program.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
While the books are stored in calibre, you access them only via calibre. And then, as you say, you should ignore any filenames. Instead you use the userinterface of calibre to find, change, convert and examine books.

When/if you wish to access the actual book files you save them to disc, or send them to a device, and then you can specify exactly how you would like to use the metadata to name the files. Folders and filenames.

As theducks says, while in calibre don't think of the books as files. Think of them as books stored in a database.

Last edited by Adoby; 04-25-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I tried to use Calibre last year, but gave up as it was the only piece of software that I had ever worked with that hid the file name, so I had no idea what I was working with other than counting the order of files and comparing it to file order out in Windows folders.
All folders / file names in calibre's library structure are in the exact same format

Author folder
--Title folder
-----Title - Author.epub (.mobi, .pdf, .cbr whatever format you added)

The filename reflects exactly whatever is in the Author and Title columns in calibre. If you alter the info in the Author or Title columns in the GUI the folders and the filename are immediately changed to reflect the data in the GUI.

In reviewing your previous messages I found the below.

Quote:
I can't tell what book I am working with! The file name shows the book title and author clearly, while the Calibre window for the books shows meaningless garbage such as "Introduction' for a title, "To The" for the author, etc.
It looks like the Author and Title info were garbage when you added the books to calibre. When you add books to calibre it gets metadata (book info) from the file name of the book you were adding or from the internal metadata of the book. You have to choose which under Preferences - Adding books.

Learn how to add your books and everything should be easier.

Quote:
I was told then to learn to live with having no file names or any indication of what book file I was working with, because that wasn't important
Not that it isn't important, but as I indicated the filename is created by the items in the Author and Title columns. It can't be any more clear than that.

Quote:
I'd like to consider using Calibre again, and was wondering if there has been a fix/change or paradigm shift so file names will appear in the listings of books.
No change or fix needed since the file name is transparent on the surface. You can always select a book and click on the Click to open item (see attached) in the book details pane to see the exact file associated with that book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Opencontainingfolder.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	104977  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-26-2013 at 07:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

No change or fix needed since the file name is transparent on the surface. You can always select a book and click on the Click to open item (see attached) in the book details pane to see the exact file associated with that book.
Or just hover over the "Cilck to Open" to display the path to where the different book format files are stored.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Or just hover over the "Cilck to Open" to display the path to where the different book format files are stored.

BobC
'Twould be nice if "Click to Open" had a right click option to copy folderpath to the clipboard.

'Twould also be nice if "Formats" had something similar, hover to see file path, right click option to copy filepath to clipboard.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file names