Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Xelnok
Xelnok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw
Broken PW screen, anyway to widen margins?

So I have a paperwhite with a distorted screen that is about an inch by an inch in the corner of the screen. If I put the Kindle in landscape mode with the widest margins I can almost read an entire page except for about a centimeter from the crack that still gets in the way.

The question is whether it is somehow possible to get wider margins so I can read an entire page without the crack getting in the way?

Thanks a lot!
Xelnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If the screen is cracked like you say probably about the only thing you can do is contact Kindle's CS about getting a replacement if still in warranty. Or buy a replacement if it's exhausted.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Xelnok

After looking around on Google it looks like there are programs you can use after you jail break the Kindle to manipulate margins, all I really need to do is shift the margin a centimeter left. I'm just not sure at what programs are the best and easiest to play around with the margins.

(it's not really a crack perse, the screen was damaged internally in a small section with almost all of the text on the screen easily readable, I just need to move the text a little.
I am on 5.3.4 btw)

Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
JBPatch can modify the reader margins. Note that FW 5.3.4 is not "officially" supported yet, so you'll need to manually install the margins patch from this post.

Last edited by ixtab; 04-07-2013 at 05:37 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Xelnok

Thanks a lot, editing the margins worked perfectly with jbpatch. I lowered the top margin by about an inch, covered the top broken area with black electric tape and now it's back to looking and working great!
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Question ... did you try to call Kindle Customer SErvice?

I found them to be extremely helpful when the screen on my Kindle Keyboard broke (sent me a new one).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote