Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Basqueman
Basqueman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've just purchased a PRS-505

Hello Community,

I was on the the Metrolink Train in Southern California going home after a long day at work. I sat down across from a well dressed gentleman. At first glance I could tell that he was a gadget kind of guy. He had a BlackBerry as well as an iPod clipped to his belt with the white ear buds snaking up t his ears. What caught my attention was the contraption he was staring at that was sitting on his lap. It looked like a miniature Etch-A-Sketch (yes..I've just aged myself). At this point, he looked up and noticed me gazing at the thing and then politely removed his ear buds and looked at me with full anticipation of a coming question. I got the impression that he'd done this before.

He gave me a demonstration of the Sony Reader. He patiently showed me what it does, it's features and talked about the kind of books he likes to read. He told me about the "Gutenberg Project" and how he found and downloaded all the state of the union speeches from a couple of dozen past Presidents. He told be about the Amazon Kindle. He was really passionate about the thing and what it could do.

I was fascinated. Being a gadget guy myself as well as an avid reader I ended up doing several hours of research on the Internet when I got home. I researched and read about the Sony. I researched the Amazon Kindle and read many of the posted user reviews on the website. I watched the videos. I found MobileRead.com which in turn pointed me to Fictionwise.com, Gutenberg project.com...etc etc. I've learned about ConvertLIT & Libprs500 because I was curious to know what range of content would be available, I learned about MOBI files, LRT files, DRM's. I was hooked and I didn't even purchase the thing yet.

I went back and forth between the Sony and the Kindle...but it came right down to aesthetics. The Sony was sleek and beautiful. The Kindle was downright ugly and I wasn't going to wait 6 wks and pay $400 for something that looked so bad. That out weighed its wireless capability. The Sony is due to arrive on Saturday, February 9 and I'm ready and can't wait to enter this digital book world.

Thanks for your patience with reading this rather long winded intro.
Basqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Basqueman and welcome to the Forum. I got bit by the same bug and ultimately bought a Sony 505 and really like it. I got mine back in early January (40% off as it was a window display) and have already read several books on it.

BTW, don't forget the 100 free classics you can down load off the Sony site.

And, I bought a 2 gig memory stick at Staples for $36 which has greatly increased the Reader's capacity.

Be sure and let us know how you like your Reader once you get your hands on it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
linda o keeffe
linda o keeffe began at the beginning.

well done, its a great purchase, I cant believe its taken so long for such a wonderful gadget. I have the sony prs 505, its beautiful. My only problem is I'm base in Europe which means I cant buy legit books, but what can you do. With closed content formats we are restricted to file sharing books. Enjoy
linda o keeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Basqueman

Thank You for the warm welcome. I just received the Sony reader today and I will be spending the rest of the afternoon playing with it.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Linda, do you have a US credit card? If so, I think you buy books on the Sony site regardles of your loction. Otherwise, you can use Sony Gift cards.
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Basqueman and welcome to the Forum. I got bit by the same bug and ultimately bought a Sony 505 and really like it. I got mine back in early January (40% off as it was a window display) and have already read several books on it.

BTW, don't forget the 100 free classics you can down load off the Sony site.

And, I bought a 2 gig memory stick at Staples for $36 which has greatly increased the Reader's capacity.

Be sure and let us know how you like your Reader once you get your hands on it.
Welcome Basqueman, before you waste your time on the 100 error ridden classics at the Sony site check the site you're are on now and get some well formatted versions for your new Sony with many errors corrected. Look for those you might want. Then if there are any more that you want you may then to go to the Sony site if you can't wait until they're posted here

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

That's good advice from DaleDe, Basqueman. There are some wonderful people who posts classics on this site.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Basqueman

Thank You. I"ll spend some time looking at the BBeB uploads.