Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-20-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Instant Book Machine

Everyone knows you can walk up to machines to get a variety of items like stamps, money, tickets, etc.

Well you may soon be able to walk up to a machine and get a paperback! For an expected price of less than $100,000, the On Demand Machine Corporation will be offering the BookMachine that can create paperback books on demand. Books can be printed in three to five minutes in various sizes. The machine even handles the payment process if using a credit card.

While there are competing systems offered by IBM and Xerox, the BookMachine is designed to be so simple that a customer or clerk can run the machine as easily as a copy machine. A master database holds all the contents of books remotely.

Pretty impressive. Still, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just download the book and read it on your handheld?

Our thanks to Engadget for pointing out this bit of news first.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Jeez! One of the many great adventures of e-books is the fact that they are ELECTRONIC, i.e. paperless. Why anyone would go back to the Stone Ages and print them out on paper is beyond me.
Advert
Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
It reminds me of the McDonald's TikTok vending machines we have here in D.C. Cuz doncha know that Washington residents really need things like eggs dispensed to them for that 3am omlet!
Story from the WashPost.

I still have no idea how they make money, as I've never found anyone who uses them.