Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
WhatsOn Follow-up

The old thread can be found here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200 thought that I would keep it alive with some new information.

What is WhatsOn?
WhatsOn for the Palm Computing Platform is a tool that allows you to display TV listing data in an easy-to-use grid format. Carry your TV Listings schedule with you everywhere you bring your Palm. WhatsOn comes with a utility, XMLTV, to download TV listing data from the world wide web. Using this tool, you can regularly and automatically update your Palm Organizer with current TV listing information. WhatsOn also comes with a conduit that allows you to effortlessly hotsync your TV listing data to your Palm Organizer. And best of all, WhatsOn is FREE.

I have been using whaton for about a year and I have to say it is sweet. I only had a small problem with it. Sometimes it does not download the update to xmltv and gives an error message but still works. All you need to do is download the latest version of xmltv from sourceforge. The cool thing is is that the xmltv file is updated quite often. Which makes changes to the channels frequently. At present there is support for the USA, Canada, the UK, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Finland, New Zealand, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Hungary, and Denmark. The main advantage of this program is that during setup you are able to pick your cable company or if not broadcast and choose which channels you want listed or not. This feature reduces the size of the database that is transferred during your palm.

I had some trouble with the way xmltv.exe grabs data at the moment and there were some configuration issues. Usually when you download the new version of xmltv from sourceforge all you have to do is put the new version of xmltv.exe in the whaton folder in your palm user folder. Yesterday I did this and got errors saying that the format is right but it could not grab any data. This is because the file tv_grab_na is not valid anymore, tv_grab_na_dd replaced it. Also you need to sign up with zap2it labs at http://labs.zap2it.com/ztvws/ztvws_l...01-1-0,00.html and set up a profile in order for xmltv.exe to be able to download tv data to your computer. To add you also need to edit configure.bat and grab.bat by opening it with notepad change any reference of tv_grab_na to tv_grab_na_dd. One more thing I promise You have to copy the folder called share from the xmltv folder into whatson. You then should be ready to go. Run configure.bat go throught the prompts and that's it. If you are not worried about security after the configuration you can edit tv_grab_na_dd.conf to include your password so you won't have to input it in each time you grab data to go to your palm.

This is one of the best programs for the palm. I highly recommend it. Find it at www.zookware.com
Old 06-30-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the tip on signing up with zap2it labs... I didn't know what to do when I received the same error that the format was right but couldn't grab any data!

Love that tool!
Advert
Old 06-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Thanks for the tip on signing up with zap2it labs... I didn't know what to do when I received the same error that the format was right but couldn't grab any data!

Love that tool!
No problem,

Did you figure out the other stuff and were you able to sync? I noticed that between the days there is a hole in the schedule. Did you notice that?