Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-28-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Rumor File: New PDA's

Rumors of the Tungsten T4 have been floating around since last Fall, before Palm OS6 (or Cobalt, whatever you wanna call it ) was even announced. The rumors are really heating up right now, perhaps for a deadly thin Summer marketing season. Here are the two latest:

Rumor #1: The T|T4 will have a 450MHz processor, a 480x320 color LCD screen, integrated 802.11g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, 96Mb of RAM, and a single SD expansion card slot. Source: atmaspheric endeavors.

Rumor #2: A device running Cobalt with a T3 form factor including 64Mb RAM, two SD slots, and integrated Bluetooth with a retail of $400. Source: PalmInfo Center.

Are these rumors just to give us hope in a dwindling market? Perhaps. There is, however, better news in the burgeoning cell arena.

It looks like a new Treo will be released soon, that seemingly would replace the popular Treo 600. The device has not been announced yet, but rumored specs include a 320x320 high resolution display, 1.2 megapixel camera, faster 312MHz processor, and integrated Bluetooth.

The Sidekick II has also not yet been announced, but several photos are available online thanks to the FCC. This updated Sidekick has the same flip-screen design and thumb keyboard, with supposedly more memory in a slightly thinner package. There were specs in the manual from the FCC site.

Last edited by sUnShInE; 06-28-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Rumor #1 is my favorite. I am looking for a new PDA soon, and the rumored T4 is definitely one fine toy to keep an eye on!
Advert
Old 06-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd like to see #2 also, but I'm afraid it's more likely to be #1. (Mostly because I expect the two card slots is more probable than the built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. But we'll see.

I'm looking for an OS6 upgrade myself. My Clie SJ33 has been great, but of course I'd like faster and more memory and a newer OS!

My hope is for a clamshell (probability = 0.05%) or a Tungsten C2 (not likely until after the Treo and T4, I guess). Oh well, maybe that little ole SJ33 is going to be in my pocket for a while longer.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

I read somewhere else that the TC is being off-loaded entirely to Overstock... for any TC fans out there.

I still haven't figured out how I'm gonna upgrade, but when you get to the point where iSilo crashes because it can't open a simple doc, you know you've got to do it. I'd opt for Rumor #1, except that my suspicions have it as ~$500.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
I'm not sure yet which I want to be true. At the least, I would still want an OS6 upgrade for my T3, but for the NEW Hardware, I'm not apposed to either the slider or clamshell designs, per se. I would, however, want it to be a NICE design (mind you, in this case, beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder). *shrug*
Advert
Old 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
I read somewhere else that the TC is being off-loaded entirely to Overstock... for any TC fans out there. (
Seems those are all open box or blemished. Maybe the new TCs are already sold out?

It would be awesome if they are unloading in preparation for a TC2, but I think just wishful thinking.

Like derekweb, I guess I'll be going for the next "nice design" OS6. (What that means to me, I'm not even sure yet. But I guess I'll know it when I see it!)
Old 06-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Or you could just join me over on the dark side, and get an ipaq

You know you want to....
Old 06-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

The Dark Side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett

You know you want to....
That's funny! You're right -- it is tempting. Believe me, I have considered it occassionally. And if I started out with PPC, I'd probably be sticking with PPC. After all, how bad can it be?

But when I remember the investment I have in Palm (mostly familiarity and knowledge), I realize a switch would only be because of the "geek" in me wanting to explore technology, not about actual usefulness. With so many things demanding my time, it just doesn't make sense for me now. Besides, I think for the next few years at least, Palm and PPC will probably stay pretty close to each other in capabilities.

And I've grown accustomed to my favorite PalmOS apps, and the Palm look and feel. Everything just plain "feels good." I don't want to trade all that in and start from scratch until I really need to.

One of these days the jump might make sense for me, but not now. And, yes, I do just plain like Palm. In my heart, I'm hoping they succeed big.

But to each his own. I don't know which is better, I just know I like Palm!

(Sorry about all the smiles... I hadn't played with them yet, so just wanted to give them a try. Kinda fun in small doses, I guess.)

Now if they'll just come out with that OS6 Tungsten C2 or a clamshell I'll be on cloud 9!

Sunshine asked about TC fans. I don't have one, but I'm a fan of it just from looking at the pictures!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Just noticed that Brighthand published on the rumors today too. Ed does make a few good points here:

Quote:
Both rumors agree about one thing: the next Tungsten is expected to use the "slider" design that debuted with the first Tungsten T back in late 2002. Brighthand has learned from knowledgeable sources that palmOne does have plans to release one more model in the T series, though they didn't confirm any of the other details in the two rumored descriptions.

If either of these two rival sets of specifications is correct, the Tungsten T4 will have a lot in common with the T3. It will use the same 320-by-480-pixel display with both portrait and landscape support and virtual Graffiti. It will also have Bluetooth short-range networking.

Another thing these rumored specifications have in common is Palm OS Cobalt, which is the newest version of this operating system. Although PalmSource released Cobalt to its licensees many months ago, it has yet to be used on any handhelds or smartphones. Some experts are blaming the lack of Cobalt devices on this year's slump in sales of Palm OS handhelds, though smartphone sales are doing well.
He notes that Rumor #1 above, which would include 11g wifi should street at $459. This is where I have to say that someone's blowing smoke or definitely smoking something.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett

You know you want to....
Owner of HP stock?

But seriously, there is no reason to choose one over the other for any reason other than preference. I have been amazed at how far the PPC platform has come since its early days. It is equal in most ways and superior in some (though inferior in some others). I would buy one today if not for the investment in Palm software and no other reason. I like the iPaq and have drooled over them for years.

Now, if I win the lottery...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:24 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahamt
Owner of HP stock?

But seriously, there is no reason to choose one over the other for any reason other than preference. I have been amazed at how far the PPC platform has come since its early days. It is equal in most ways and superior in some (though inferior in some others). I would buy one today if not for the investment in Palm software and no other reason. I like the iPaq and have drooled over them for years.

Now, if I win the lottery...
I wish I had some HP stock!

Nah, I'm just a happy ipaq owner, trying to spread the word. I'd like to upgrade my Clie as well, but if I had that sort of money to throw around, I'd probably be too tempted by the newer Ipaqs coming out

Craig.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #12
joemafia
joemafia began at the beginning.

Device: TH55/Treo600
I don't see anything that's gonna make me switch from my beloved TH55. on the real tho', I had the T3 but the battery life made me return it after 3 weeks of use. unless they dramaticaly improve the battery life on the T4, I won't even look its way.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:36 PM   #13
joemafia
joemafia began at the beginning.

Device: TH55/Treo600
The new treo looks good tho', the new screen resolution is a huge improvement by itself. That's my main complaint with the treo600. Surfing the net on that 160x160 sux big time, that's why Im still carrying around my TH55.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't know where you live, Joe, but if you have a lot of WiFi Hotspots in your neighborhood, I think the TH55 is a wonderful device for net surfing.

Mobile WiFi web surfing is the way to go; (fast) mobile surfing via cell phone connectivity is not readily available yet (at least here in Europe). That is why I wouldn't buy the Treo (yet).
Old 07-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #15
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow! I'd never looked at the Clies before, but the TH55 looks amazing! I'm a diehard for my T|E and would be hard pressed to switch, but the full screen and wifi are definitely attractions.

The dark side is tempting too, but windows on my PDA just turns me right off...