Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
JerrySmile
JerrySmile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does Kindle for the PC fully justify the books?

I'm looking at my e-books at Amazon with "Look Inside" and they are only left justified, as I prefer (and the way I made them to be in Word).

However, they and most (if not all) of the Kindle books I've bought show fully justified (i.e. on both sides, left and right) in my Kindle for the PC application (for Vista, in my case), which I don't like, as it leads to exaggerated spaces between words.

So, I wonder, does Kindle for the PC fully justify the books?

Isn't it the same mobi file I'm looking at Amazon in "Look inside" or in my Kindle for the PC? It should.

Thanks.
JerrySmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got no idea if K4PC always renders mobi/KF8 as full justified or not. Each Kindle app and Kindle device and Cloud Reader has its own software/firmware and can render mobi/KF8 a bit uniquely. My Kindle for iPad app for example has the option to use the publisher's settings, but I don't see this option on my K4PC or my Touch.

I wouldn't use Word to create mobi/KF8. That is a terrible editor to use for custom book settings. If you can, it is better to create an ePub and convert it. Sigil, freeware, is a good WYSIWYG ePub creator and editor.
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
K4PC appears to always fully justify lines. I see no option to change this.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
JerrySmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
K4PC appears to always fully justify lines. I see no option to change this.
Thanks a lot.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some books have left-justification 'hard coded' to the default paragraph style (which is probably not a good practice, in case Amazon ever decides to restore/add justification options). In which case, they'll always be left-justified.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
JerrySmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Some books have left-justification 'hard coded' to the default paragraph style (which is probably not a good practice, in case Amazon ever decides to restore/add justification options). In which case, they'll always be left-justified.
My books are left-justified in Word. I made the conversion to mobi in Calibre.

They show as indicated in the above, left justified at Amazon "Look Inside," but fully justified on my Kindle for the PC.

As a matter of fact, all the books I've bought show fully justified in K4PC, irrespective of how they look at Amazon.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Kindle Previewer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySmile View Post
My books are left-justified in Word. I made the conversion to mobi in Calibre.

They show as indicated in the above, left justified at Amazon "Look Inside," but fully justified on my Kindle for the PC.

As a matter of fact, all the books I've bought show fully justified in K4PC, irrespective of how they look at Amazon.
I would definately download Kindle Previewer from Amazon to verify.
Learned the hard way years ago to check converted files with Previewer instead of just sending to my K3.
Might help you, might not.
Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
JerrySmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
I would definately download Kindle Previewer from Amazon to verify.
Learned the hard way years ago to check converted files with Previewer instead of just sending to my K3.
Might help you, might not.
Cheers,
Thanks, but it's not much better.

It seems it too double-justifies (just like the K4PC) stuff that was left-justified in Word. "Look Inside" doesn't seem to produce this error.