Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
ashu_dan
ashu_dan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Exclamation Battery woes after using Jailbreak hack on Kindle 2 US edition

Hi Team,

After using the jailbreak hack on Kindle 2, I see that the battery is getting discharged rapidly even if I'm not using the device. I tried uninstalling the hack but to no avail.

Can someone please advise on what do do to resolve this issue?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Ashu
ashu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ashu_dan: If you didn't install anything else, it's completely unrelated. The jailbreak's net effect is installing two files on your device, that don't do anything 99.99% of the time (the .01 remaining is when you click the 'Update Your Kindle' link).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ashu_dan: If you didn't install anything else, it's completely unrelated. The jailbreak's net effect is installing two files on your device, that don't do anything 99.9% of the time (the .1 remaining is when you click the 'Update Your Kindle' link).
What CAN discharge the battery is if an OTA update was pushed to your kindle while it was "off", or if it was busy indexing a bunch of books (while "off"). Book indexing can be a problem if you have any books with bad file formats (or other corruption), or if you have too many books.

Although resetting your kindle back to factory defaults would lose your personal contents, it *might* solve your battery issue (unless you have a failing battery or other hardware problem).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Its a K2, so it may be old enough that the battery is reaching the end of its useful life.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The fact it is still even alive (to this point) gives me hope for my 3.
I guess the documented expected battery life of a BA1001 will now hold true.
Someone said three years was realistic.
I believe it's the same battery in a three. (just checked, yep )

I find that a little disappointing looking at my decades old music hardware that will probably outlive me. plastic society, throwaway toys.

Hope you managed to get a replacement battery sorted mate.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
ashu_dan
ashu_dan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I had observed this issue after updating K2 with the hack and earlier it was working perfectly fine. And, I did a factory reset after taking a back up of the document folders and, now, I don't see that nagging issue of battery drain. A quick note that, I've not restored all the books form the back up, copied around 15 from the archive.

Regards,
Ashu
ashu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That makes it sound as if the machine was busy indexing books when it ran down the battery.

Although only 15 books does not seem like a lot, it could be just one of the 15 that was causing problems for the indexer.

Note: Kindles are never really "off" in the sense that a light switch is "off" in one position, just in a very low power state (very close to being "off").
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote