Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
seird
seird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
[Kindle Touch] Instafetch

InstaFetcher 1.1

This little Kindle Touch hack adds the option "Fetch Instapaper Articles" to the GUI launcher provided by YiFanLu. (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#GUI_Launcher)
It will download a .mobi (or .epub) ebook from instapaper containing your Read Later articles.

Change the username and password in bin/instafetch.sh and download your Instapaper to your Kindle whenever you want!

Edit:
Statically linked curl binary included as sugested below (Thanks NiLuJe!). This should work on K4 and is tested on K5 Touch.

Edit2:
Added credits to README. Changed the name of the script because Insafetch as a name is already used by the great android tool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip instafetcher.zip (763.0 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by seird; 07-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.
seird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seird View Post
InstaFetch 1.0

This little Kindle Touch hack adds the option "Fetch Instapaper Articles" to the GUI launcher provided by YiFanLu. (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#GUI_Launcher)
It will download a .mobi (or .epub) ebook from instapaper containing your Read Later articles.

The script will only work with the libcurl optware package installed provided by the 'extend' Kindle hack: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161704
$ ipkg install libcurl

Change the username and password in bin/instafetch.sh and download your Instapaper to your Kindle whenever you want!
Why don't you include a libcurl binary with your script?
We have similar, worked examples, indexed.
That would save noobie users the need to install/learn optware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why don't you include a libcurl binary with your script?
We have similar, worked examples, indexed.
That would save noobie users the need to install/learn optware.
Correction, it needs the curl application, not just libcurl.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Correction, it needs the curl application, not just libcurl.
Preferably static linked, so we do not have to support multiple versions or curl for multiple kindle versions. Static linking is not bad for a kindle, being mostly a "single task" device, and having a bunch of static-linked apps only consumes a tiny portion of the mmc.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Haven't looked at the code, but I'm pretty sure there's also at least a basic wget binary in the base Kindle system, wouldn't that be sufficient?

EDIT: Okay, looked at the code, and, yeah, no, pretty sure busybox's wget doesn't handle cookies either .

So, yep, building a curl binary shouldn't be much trouble, there's no real dependencies to speak of if you don't need SSL support. (And if you do, it supports both gnutls and openssl, and while openssl is a bit of a nightmare to cross-compile, gnutls, being a GNU project, should be using a sane buildsystem ^^).

EDIT²: Here you go (targeted at a K4/K5, it won't run on older devices). (OpenSSL static linked to avoid the OpenSSl 0.9.8/1.0.x mess, which explains the size). [I didn't test it, but it looks okay].
Attached Files
File Type: gz curl-7.26.0-k5.tar.gz (795.8 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-28-2012 at 07:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
seird
seird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with othersseird plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Haven't looked at the code, but I'm pretty sure there's also at least a basic wget binary in the base Kindle system, wouldn't that be sufficient?

EDIT: Okay, looked at the code, and, yeah, no, pretty sure busybox's wget doesn't handle cookies either .

So, yep, building a curl binary shouldn't be much trouble, there's no real dependencies to speak of if you don't need SSL support. (And if you do, it supports both gnutls and openssl, and while openssl is a bit of a nightmare to cross-compile, gnutls, being a GNU project, should be using a sane buildsystem ^^).

EDIT²: Here you go (targeted at a K4/K5, it won't run on older devices). (OpenSSL static linked to avoid the OpenSSl 0.9.8/1.0.x mess, which explains the size). [I didn't test it, but it looks okay].
Good point! Makes installing a lot easier.

I have edited the initial post and uncluded the statically linked binary. Thanks NiLuJe!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@seird: Does that mean it actually runs correctly? (Remember I said I hadn't actually tested it ;D).

Sidenote: You might want to include the contents of the CREDITS file in your readme, though .
Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
seird

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@seird: Does that mean it actually runs correctly? (Remember I said I hadn't actually tested it ;D).

Sidenote: You might want to include the contents of the CREDITS file in your readme, though .
It actually works!

I added the CREDITS, and changed the name of the script.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@seird: Good to know, thanks .

Tags
kindle touch instapaper