Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-16-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Sony VAIO U50/U70 Reviewed In Depth

PDA Buyer's Guide reviews the Sony VAIO U50/U70, the hybrid PC/PDA that has beaten both the FlipStart and OQO to market.

They like the fact that it has a touch screen that works with any PDA stylus, is incredibly small and portable yet runs Windows XP, has VGA, USB 2.0, Firewire ports, wired Ethernet (802.11g), a Memory Stick slot, and a CF slot.

They don't like the price. $2199 (U50) and $2699 (U70).

Only one question: Why should it be necessary or any beneficial for a small device such as the U50/U70 to run Windows XP? Long-boot times are not very convenient for an "on-the-go" device like this one...
Old 06-16-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Only one question: Why should it be necessary or any beneficial for a small device such as the U50/U70 to run Windows XP? Long-boot times are not very convenient for an "on-the-go" device like this one...
I completely agree with this point. It's something I've been wondering for a while. Surely there is a better option than a full install of XP. Perhaps MS could at least chop it down.

What are they calling these types of devices now? Do they have a name?
Advert
Old 06-16-2004, 08:45 AM   #3
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I completely agree with this point. It's something I've been wondering for a while. Surely there is a better option than a full install of XP. Perhaps MS could at least chop it down.

What are they calling these types of devices now? Do they have a name?
To run in some open doors, I'd rather take aqua or even *nix on such a device, than buggy windoze. Depending on what kind of ports and jacks it has, it is at least a full computer in a hard to beat size.
With Nokia anouncing their latest Series 90 Phone to handle DVB-H streams, I would recommend to wait another two years and look what's comming. The industry seams to have recognized what brings us closer to Star Trek-life.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Is it really a full install of XP though? I seem to recall that, at least for the OQO, they had a slimmed down version of the OS.

And yea, that price point is out of control right now... unless you have a rich benefactor or the boss paying for it.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #5
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
I wonder if this will be a typical Sony device. I always had my quarrels to keep those things running, after the warranty was over and now with winxp on it... uhhhh
Advert