Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Fuji Xerox Prototypes E-paper Without Using Color Filter

Quote:
Fuji Xerox Co Ltd showed an electrophoretic type electronic paper (e-paper) that realizes color display without using a color filter on the opening day of SID 2012, which runs from June 3 to 8, 2012, in Boston, the US.

Because the e-paper does not use a color filter, it can realize a brighter and more vivid display, the company said (thesis number 8.4)
Source

I still believe the market for this is tiny, but advancements are always welcome.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Oh yes please. Get rid of the filters from the jetBook Color display and it would be as contrasty as a Pearl black and white screen, rather than the slightly murky result we've got at the moment. Can't wait for someone to do this properly.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The short Tech-On report is one of the best I have come across on a new E-Paper technology. Even so, it fails to mention the refresh time and a long page turn time is one of the failings of previous color e-paper screens.

If the page turn time is acceptable, this might be a winner. However, it is probably a couple of years away from mass production and I wonder if there will be a market for color e-paper 2-3 years from now.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Source

I still believe the market for this is tiny, but advancements are always welcome.
When I am buying something, I usually ask the seller to specify exactly two things.

Delivery?
Price?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Those couple of screen shots in that article looked REALLY good. I would like to see more. Like wallcraft said, if the page refresh times are decent, this could be fantastic.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Those couple of screen shots in that article looked REALLY good. I would like to see more. Like wallcraft said, if the page refresh times are decent, this could be fantastic.
As I said.

Price?
Delivery?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
The prototype showed at SID 2012 displayed colors by moving red and cyan colored particles up and down. It has a screen size of 5 inches, pixel count of 600 x 800, resolution of 200dpi, gradation of four, reflectance of 30% and contrast ratio of 10:1. ...snip

snip...Though the prototype uses two elementary colors to realize color display, Fuji Xerox is currently developing a full-color e-paper using three elementary colors. The company has already developed a cell (pixel) using cyan, magenta and yellow colored particles and confirmed a color gamut wider than that of newspaper
Not ready for prime time. The color gamut of newspaper sucks muchly. 10:1 c/r doesn't make it for color.

I love that they're trying!

Even if they perfect it, I don't see the personal need.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm loving reading color comics on an iPad 3. A reflective color display would be great. A low contrast, desatured, expensive color epaper display, which the first gen will inevitably be, not so much.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
High-quality color + thin and flexible = one more way to sneak naughty pictures past the wife (or mom). Especially if one has been caught and had the tablet and the computer confiscated.

Of course, they could just follow my example. Keep the wife locked up in the basement.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
High-quality color + thin and flexible = one more way to sneak naughty pictures past the wife (or mom). Especially if one has been caught and had the tablet and the computer confiscated.

Of course, they could just follow my example. Keep the wife locked up in the basement.
All my naughty pictures are of your wife...what do you think she gets up to in the basement!!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
All my naughty pictures are of your wife...what do you think she gets up to in the basement!!
Rats, I only have bilge water in my basement.
I live on a boat.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #12
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Rats, I only have bilge water in my basement.
I live on a boat.
Give your wife an air hose. Problem solved.

I used to live on a boat. Unfortunately, I parked my car on the hose. Live and learn. Well...not her.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote