Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
OQO Impressions

Three writers from Digital Media Thoughts spent some QT with the OQO at CeBIT this week and share their impressions.

The jury has been out on this super-hybrid laptop/ppc pda for some time, based primarily on the company's constant push back on the release date, leaving many to slam it as "vaporware". The authors chief complaints seem to be less about form and function (save for seemingly minor touchscreen and keyboard issues), and more to do with economics: How do you justify something that's not exactly a laptop and more powerful than a pda, for laptop prices?

Read their thoughts and check out pix here. Btw, the company is still aiming for a Fall release, FWIW.

My questions veer more towards the state of play in the pda market. Is this the solution to stagnancy? Who's gonna buy this thing? I know alot of truly mobile professionals, and I can't say too many of them would opt for this over an old-fashioned laptop. Many of my friends freak out if they get less than 11g wifi!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The article you linked to (thanks btw.) says that the OQO will "sell for under $2,000, but above $1,500." Honestly, I think that is *too* much money for something like a sub-sub-notebook.

Take a look at Sony' VAIO TR3A for example:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...uctSKU=PCGTR3A

The Sony runs Windows XP, has a 10.6" widescreen XBRITE™ LCD display, 40 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, 7 hours battery life time, integrated 802.11b/g wireless LAN, integrated CD-RW/DVD combo drive, integrated swivel camera, USB 2.0.

And it is available for USD 1,849.
Advert
Old 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Hey,

I find the OQO to be really cool. The form factor is what makes it cool. I can imagine whipping this out on the train and seeing people drop their jaws . Again it is a cool concept and I am hoping that other companies try to develop something like the OQO that actually works well.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Yea, I love the "less than $2k, but more than..." answer too.

My response would be something along the lines of, "And your stock would be more than $2/share but less than..."
Old 06-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #5
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

FYI, the OQO is now on pre-order at Expansys.

Quote:
Our Price: Not announced
Advert