Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
XRay on Kindle Touch UK

Hi,

Just trying to figure out how to use XRay on Touch UK Model as where the XRay button is on all the YouTube Videos of the KT there is the Sync button, anyone know how to access it?

Also does anyone know of any free buttons which support XRay (it might be that the books I have don't support XRay causing the button not to be where I am expecting it)?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but so far all the Threads I have read seem to be about the US version.

Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
Hi,

Just trying to figure out how to use XRay on Touch UK Model as where the XRay button is on all the YouTube Videos of the KT there is the Sync button, anyone know how to access it?
The "X-Ray" button will only be present if the book actually has X-Ray data (it's a separate file). If the book doesn't have X-Ray, you get the "Sync" button in its place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, you don't know of any books that support this I could try (hopefully free ones), I would just like to see what it is like!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe there's a Calibre plug-in that will generate X-Ray data for any book. I haven't tried it myself, I'm afraid.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Thanks, you don't know of any books that support this I could try (hopefully free ones), I would just like to see what it is like!
Gavin, on January 5, I blogged on what X-Ray is like and included the following:

" A free Kindle book that uses the "X-ray" feature
The House of the Whispering Pines, by Anna Katharine Green, 13 customer reviews, 3.8 stars, $0.00 (Link: http://amzn.to/house-whispering-pines )

The new X-RAY feature for Kindle Touch:
I'm including this Kindle book again for the apparently millions who now have a Kindle Touch model, because Chloe from the Kindle forums mentioned it as a free book that has the new X-ray feature. Many have wondered how the X-ray feature works.

I'd explained some of it in the The X-Ray reference tool - What it does blog article, but that doesn't do much good if you can't see it in action, and it's hard to know which of the newer Kindle books has been given this feature."

Also, on February 26, I used it much more and really liked it on the Steve Jobs book that has so many characters I couldn't remember who was who or what they contributed (usually a lot). And showed more of how X-ray helps in this type of book:
http://bit.ly/kwn0226

One person I looked up who was influential back then turned out to still be VERY influential in Google's latest social network stuff.

Last edited by andrys; 04-21-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Added info
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
gavinjb
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info, unfortunately this book does not appear to have XRay when purchased from Amazon UK Site, might be that as the KT has just been released that very few books have it yet!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
There's an X-Ray file generator for the Kindle Touch.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
mkflint
mkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to behold

Device: KT
Frankenstein has X-Ray support. Free now. Worth reading, X-Ray or not!
mkflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Thanks for the info, unfortunately this book does not appear to have XRay when purchased from Amazon UK Site, might be that as the KT has just been released that very few books have it yet!
That's odd! I have it and it has X-ray. I didn't think a free classics edition (w/ no unusual DRM) was generated differently. Hmmm.

So, when you press or tap the top center edge area of the KTouch, there's no X-ray feature that appears near bottom right on the book page?

Has anyone else in the UK downloaded this free book and gets X-ray data coming down with it in an auxiliary file? They haven't mentioned X-ray not being available in the international devices and it's advertised as just a part of it.

I know that even though I have a UK Amazon acct for buying music albums, I can't buy from their Kindle store. But I thought UK customers could download the free US versions now. ?

Last edited by andrys; 04-23-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post

Has anyone else in the UK downloaded this free book and gets X-ray data coming down with it in an auxiliary file? They haven't mentioned X-ray not being available in the international devices and it's advertised as just a part of it...
I've just downloaded it, along with "Frankenstein" & neither book has X-ray I'm afraid. I suppose it's because we're still a "developing Country"
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The XRay stuff is normally pulled from Shelfari (and Wikipedia), and gets updated periodically (you get a 'snapshot' when the book is downloaded, and would need to re-download to get updates). I think I've even seen information (from Amazon to KDP users?) on how to create XRay data for a book by going to Shelfari and adding it there.

But UK editions may not link up to the same data as the US version (different ISBNs etc.). Or there may be some region specific legal restrictions on using it.

I'm just upset that I can't get the UK English editions of Harry Potter here in the USA (I want to know what JKR really wrote). So these regional issues go both ways!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This review indicates there is XRay data for some books in amazon.co.uk:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/eread...kindle-touch/2
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
mkflint
mkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to beholdmkflint is a marvel to behold

Device: KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
I've just downloaded it, along with "Frankenstein" & neither book has X-ray I'm afraid. I suppose it's because we're still a "developing Country"
That's odd. I am in the UK too, with a UK Amazon account. :-/
mkflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
andrys
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
... I'm just upset that I can't get the UK English editions of Harry Potter here in the USA (I want to know what JKR really wrote). So these regional issues go both ways!
Want to let people know that I collected some tips on how to get the original UK English edition of Potter even if you're in the U.S..

Those are in a quoted section halfway down the following post at 'A Kindle World' blog.

Link deleted by moderator. Shortened URLs are not permitted.

I didn't get a message about the deletion but a member let me know about it.

I'd thought that my saying I collected some tips and that it was on my blog (and adding a "+" sign at the end of bit.ly allows the viewer to see where s/he's being taken) would be okay. I tend to remember my shortcuts better. Here's the longcut :-)

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2012...on-kindle.html

I quote the various way Kindle members discuss getting the UK versions though they are in the U.S., and Amazon has left the entire thread on their Kindle forums (although they definitely delete unwanted items everyday) and I also include a link to that specific forum thread starting with the first explanation, which many followed and appreciated. Some methods worked better for some than others depending on their situation.

Hope that works better for this forum.

Last edited by andrys; 04-30-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Replacing shortcut with original blog link
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm just upset that I can't get the UK English editions of Harry Potter here in the USA (I want to know what JKR really wrote). So these regional issues go both ways!
Tomsen,

To get the UK versions of the books, all you have to do is to buy them as a "gift" and send them to a different e-mail address to the one associated with your Pottermore account. Then, when you redeem the gift, the system will ask your which country you're in, and you can simply answer "UK" to get the British versions of the books.